Author Topic: 1-Hit-Killers, how not to become their victim.  (Read 4593 times)

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: 1-Hit-Killers, how not to become their victim.
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 07:46:15 pm »
Ak rocks, of course. I find it the best for taking out snipers. Its more accurate than steyer, although the bullets drop more. I can always land that first shot to **** up their bink. with steyr bullets go all over the place.
I use AK for most things but steyr for this just because of the high firerate, you have a better chance at getting that one binking shot in with 3 (slightly) spread bullets than 2 accurate ones.

Offline Jæson

• Soldier
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 04:05:57 am »
I find that the Steyr's faster rate of fire and the amount of shots that can hit in a well timed burst are good for having the Snipers on their toes and missing shots. Although sometimes I forget that when too close, a gun that is designed for anti-vehicle destruction, can rip your entire body apart at close range, regardless of what you may be pumping into them.

Also, the scope advantage is troublesome as you only know where they are.. after a round has been offed into your skull. Nevertheless, my deaths due to the Barrett have gone down a bit, and I thank the contributors here.
Miss your shots, miss your chance.

Offline Avis

• Camper
  • Aufmachen, Gestapo
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 04:25:04 am »
Ak rocks, of course. I find it the best for taking out snipers. Its more accurate than steyer, although the bullets drop more. I can always land that first shot to **** up their bink. with steyr bullets go all over the place.
I use AK for most things but steyr for this just because of the high firerate, you have a better chance at getting that one binking shot in with 3 (slightly) spread bullets than 2 accurate ones.
What I dont like about the Aug, is the fact that the first shot won't fly in the same direction like the following shots :/
BANG! 5:45 o' clock. It's the police raiding your home, blackmailing you.

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 07:34:39 am »
The barrett rips your body apart at any range, at super close range bink is practically meaningless.

Another way to avoid the onehitwonders is to make your movements erratic. If you move in a predictable path, it makes the enemy's job a whole lot easier. Try to stop abrutply and do a backflip or jet once in a while to change your direction.

The second step is being smart about when you see one of these oneshots. When you see a m79 the best thing to do is to gain height on it, where it's hard to hit you, and the shell is easier to avoid.

With the barrett, try to get either directly underneath or above the player, as this position presents the hardest shot for the barretter, due to the movement and the smaller profile presented by being vertically parallel.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 07:50:56 am by Zamorak »
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline TDL

• Soldier
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 08:44:20 am »
A few comments on going against the barret  and how to exploit the terrain to your advantage

Against a lousy barret, spraying and dodging is a good approach

Against a moderate barret, spraying and dodging will get an effect, but the effect usually varies between vicious attack from range, sudden running away and the absolutely stupid approach of head on rush.

Against a great barret, spraying and dodging will get you killed, unless you do it from behind or at pointblank range with great haste.

Against a master barret, spraying and dodging gets you killed, since he most likely can predict your movement and at this level of skill pressing the change weapons button when a bullet comes into sight is routine, find safety in numbers (and danger in him having time to pickup a primary for his secondary slot.)

And a little more comments on the terrain:
The best terrain for a barret is moderately even terrain with perhaps a slight downhill. Since the terrain is so even, the chances of one being a soldats range from ground are high, and thus it's easier to get killed. Best approach against the barret here is another barret and a few potshots at the general direction. Unless you can't hit him, in which case you should just give up and try to go around the spot.

The second best place for the barret is an uphill position on the highest lane, since no one can get you from above without some extreme craftiness. Against the barret we have the good old meat shield approach, which gives you a moment to rush up the hill and finish him off.

Worst place for a barret is downhill. The bullets loose most of their fatality and everything that rains down hurts a lot. Best approach here is to wait for him to shoot from down there and then send a gesture with some nades and a few bullets.

Offline decoy.

• Soldier
  • All in the mind.
    • Paradigis
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 10:51:31 am »
I am pleased with the presentation of this guide. I would present a guide of my own but the strategy would seem ludicrous to many. I am surprised that I even get away with it.

When a sniper appears to be a problem, it is advisable to be clear of what you are trying to accomplish upon approach. Mainly in CTF, if you have some idea as to where the sniper is posted then place god and everything else in between you, or for better words, make sure that you place either collision points or solid ground between you and his or her line of fire; this is one of the first things I keep in mind if possible. Secondly, if you feel yourself going into an opening exposing yourself, make sure to change the rate of your movement as soon as you feel that you are open, providing that you are grounded. If you are air born and feel that you have suddenly exposed yourself, providing weather you have jumped or you are descending, you could be in trouble in two cases. With a sniper baring a lousy aim, it's best to switch up your movement on the fly on the moment of exposure since a lot of Barrett users fire at the "Whites of their eyes" so to say. While a fairly skilled Barrett user may take the shot with anticipation of where you are to slow down in mid-air or on the ground, or may have a better chance of catching you upon exposure, hence, bluff. Hopefully you get the idea.

Now, skipping some portion of this that I forgot in the midst of writing this, the objective is to force the sniper's hand. Surely rushing the Barrett user is about as advisable as rushing a m79 user running, but if you play your cards right, that narrow gap of a second between when you evade his or her fire and when they actually take the shot at where you were matters. Assuming by how my rushing tactic has worked, make sure that your hits are, as advised by the guide, 1-3 hit kills.

I might not have explained this in the best manner but I'll give you an example of how I tend to snipers effectively:

Aware of what direction the sniper is in, providing that his position has been disclosed by either the direction a missed shot originates from or by a careful eye, I would purposely place myself in an open area with haste of course. While doing this it's difficult to dodge so I rely on the possibility of a missed shot, if not for my dodging saving me. I may catch a groove or a collision point to duck behind as the shot whizzes by. If I can, I would toss a grenade where the shooter is located, forcing them to move to make their shot a bit more difficult. If you can estimate how long it takes for the Barrett to be ready for another fire, take advantage of that time slot. I would often carry an m79 (knowing that I would be initially out of range to close in) and with me and the sniper firing at relatively the same time, I often measure the Barrett's bink by that if I am planning to fire another shot since the m79 is ready slightly faster than the Barrett. Maybe to expedite the process, providing that I can, we're grounded and that I am within range, I would deploy a nade to near him. Even if it doesn't hit him, by the time my m79 loads, I could use it to extend the range of the explosion from an m79, providing that I fire in time.

Basically, once you've defeated the obstacle of long range and gotten an idea as to how long the bink is (providing that they are too stubborn to switch weapons), it is up to you how you deliver damage within the time that it reloads.

But as a word of caution, I would assume that any user who is use to the difficulty of that long loading would come prepared with a secondary weapon capable of supporting them in a time when their reloading time is an issue like the basic socom, Law or a primary weapon they previously traded their secondary for. So note that the second it takes to switch in between weapons also makes a difference. Also watch out for those with two Barrett's. They can be distinguished by the second Barrett sticking high out of their back, also making them quite a threat.

Hopefully this helped in some sense.
[FF|LL|HE[Cide/Decoy/Not Batman!:
[[ 300.91m | sniping distance
[[ 85:0 | kill:death ratio
[[ us.socom | favorite weapon

Offline [Gunstar]

• Major(1)
  • Local Gunslinger
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 09:00:36 pm »
I'm assuming you are attempting a one on one against a Barret, if not then here's a tip: Lets everyone else past you and follow a safe distance behind, the "bait" attracts the fire of most of the barrette's and quite frequently I see them sit there waiting for their gun to reload instead of retreating, often as they expect the first wave is everyone...Prove them wrong and gun them down as they flee (unless they have soccoms, then keep your distance). This is hoping that those opponents that didn't pick the Barret were mostly wiped out in the first attack, burst fire with that steyr!
"How do you like them apples???"
Paradoxically I'd make War for Peace
The statement below is true
The statement above is false

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 12:10:26 am »
Hopefully this helped in some sense.
:) + karma

I wrote the section on barrett with [eC] Trenchwars in mind, because in TW there is only one route, so a good barrett can hold out for however long his ammo lasts (I found this out the hard way), and to put it simple, rushing doesn't work against a good sniper in TW.
I'm assuming you are attempting a one on one against a Barret, if not then here's a tip: Lets everyone else past you and follow a safe distance behind, the "bait" attracts the fire of most of the barrette's and quite frequently I see them sit there waiting for their gun to reload instead of retreating, often as they expect the first wave is everyone...
coward... but hey, it works, but what happens when you have 4 barretts?

Offline ultraman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2007, 01:12:17 am »
If you don't have an anywhere to hide while facing a Barretter, worm (continuously prone and unprone in mid air) like crazy whilst binking him with an auto, maybe toss a few nades, and he's dead.

Offline decoy.

• Soldier
  • All in the mind.
    • Paradigis
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 06:40:23 am »
Sweet. And thanks for the add. The statement you provided also helped me re-evaluate what I placed here in a thought, not to rethink my strategy all together but to recall what I tend to do in case there is a sniper who's aim is nearly impossible to evade.

On a statement of good barret users: If you find a homebody, regarding someone who camps at their base awaiting an opponent's approach, who picks a certain place to take post and you believe has been there at least twice upon your arrival then I would suggest that you approach from a point that will allow coverage until you believe that you are exposed to his line of sight and within one screens sight of the sniper. The only thing about this approach is that if he or she is looking behind places where they know they cannot snipe as well then at best I can say, prepare yourself and fight with the expectation to get hit. There's less disappointment if you do for one (don't confuse for discouragement) and another thing, its not always like someone to rush in the line of fire. This is a suggestion.

Another suggestion, if you're on my team, find me because I purposely act as a human shield placing myself between the sniper and my flag carrier. XD Unless it is a headshot, it won't hit you if it hits me first. XD Playing on that point but seriously good snipers are more difficult to deal with. Sometimes it does take another barret to gain a sense of self-assured security against one.
[FF|LL|HE[Cide/Decoy/Not Batman!:
[[ 300.91m | sniping distance
[[ 85:0 | kill:death ratio
[[ us.socom | favorite weapon