Author Topic: Animated Userbars.  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
Animated Userbars.
« on: March 27, 2007, 03:57:16 pm »
Uhm, the forum rules say that animated pictures in the signatures are not allowed.

We do not allow the use of animated images in your sig, it really detracts from the posts, which should be a persons main focus.  If we find your avatar or signature particularly distracting for any reason, we may ask you to remove it.

Well, I don't see how animated userbars do so. I mean those, that are made with the Userbaranimator, so you have switching Userbars. I don't understand why mine got removed. They aren't detracting from the posts.............

Offline TBDM

• Flagrunner
Re: Animated Userbars.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 04:23:01 pm »
i just knew someone was going to make a topic about this...

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 04:29:28 pm »
i just knew someone was going to make a topic about this...
I told him too, to get the debate out of the testing forum.

All animated signatures are removed. Since userbars are images, they cannot be animated.
@ii

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 04:40:45 pm »
But WHY?
I mean those:

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:51:06 pm »
But WHY?
I mean those:

I am not the person you need to convince bubba, gotta talk to Flab if you want the rules changed and whatnot.
@ii

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 12:42:21 am »
What isn't particularly distracting for you is a painfully detrimental experience for any of the hundreds ADHD/OCD/Schizophrenics that roam the forums with fingers sticky from spilled energy drinks and pixie sticks.

Essentially, it's just easier to ban animated signatures than to examine each and every one to assess whether it'll distract in any way.  But, if you want a continuously switching signature, just write a php script for one.

Better yet, I have an old one lying around:

Code: [Select]
<?php

$signatures
[0] = "ieatcheese.jpg";
$signatures[1] = "andhamtoo.gif";
$signatures[2] = "ittastesgood.gif";
$signatures[3] = "nowineedtopoo.gif";

$url 'http://llsc.us/members/yourname/uploads/';             //The directory of your pictures
$signature_number rand(0,3);                            //Replace 3 with the number of images you have
$rand_signature "$signatures[$signature_number]";
header("Location: $url"$rand_signature");
?>

Someone around here could probably write a more user-friendly script, but it's not entirely difficult to set this thing up.  Just put all of your images in one directory, fix the names of the images with those on the list (you can add more lines if you need), fix the url for your directory, then make your signature: "[img]http://llsc.us/members/yourname/uploads/phpscript.php[/img]."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:53:34 am by VijchtiDoodah »

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 12:44:12 am »
Essentially, it's just easier to ban animated signatures than to examine each and every one to assess whether it'll distract in any way.  But, if you want a continuously switching signature, just write a php script for one.

right, just like my avatar.