Author Topic: dm_horror  (Read 3216 times)

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
dm_horror
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:28:34 am »
This is what I'm currently working on. It actually has a story. One late and spooky night, the moon was out, and the air was still. You wake/spawn up to see that you are among the several corpses that lay on the ground, you know you didn't kill them, but you are not entirely sure if you really didn't kill them. Skulls lay at the bottom of the lake, casting a malicious grimace at anyone who dare venture deep into the lake. Sirens sounded in the distance, chasing after a case of a few murdering of people. It is up to you to solve the case of who killed the little soldiers to clear your name.

To be continued...

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
Re: dm_horror
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:31:20 am »
wow the maps starts good ;D

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 11:44:05 am »
woah, i like the gilotine, 2 bad it can't be used in soldat 4 real
Text goes here...

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 11:50:00 am »
woah, i like the gilotine, 2 bad it can't be used in soldat 4 real

Lol, then we would need a grab soldier option so we can grab a soldier, push him under the gillotine and press the button.
KA-SCHWICK!!! *THUD*

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 11:51:59 am »
and then "awwwwww" when we don't make it right and we have to chop it again
Text goes here...

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:21:35 pm »
Topics like these doesn't belong to here?

Offline wedding

• Camper
  • [AdkZ] BuTcH3r
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 03:06:07 pm »
It would be nice if you upload an overview of your map...ty
Sex is like Hacking.You get in, you get out,then you hope that you didn't leave something behind that can be traced back to you.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 04:25:27 pm »
It would be nice if you upload an overview of your map...ty

The overview is in the hyperlink of "To be continued..."

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 08:40:17 pm »
Wow, so far so good and I like how you did the scenery. What you should do is make it actually look like night though, with a dark background or something. Maybe an almost black background, they have stars in the horizon and throughout the sky. That would be some nice night time. Or just make a "mystical" blackish-blue color. I dunno, your choice ;).

Well...I suppose the background right now is nice. If you used my idea, you could also make a nice vivid distinction between the dark and light through the polygon coloring. Then the sun thing could be a moon that shines light etc.

Lol, and for the rest of the day, it will have 5 stars unless someone else rates it ;D.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 08:46:38 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 09:30:16 pm »
The ray from the sun needs to continue all the way into the water, instead of cutting off. its ugly that way. So far its cool but really doesn't belong in this section (only for finished maps if I'm correct). Other than that stretch the polygons a bit and finish it and it will be good.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 09:57:18 pm »
This map is only fancy scenery; there is nothing otherwise intriguing about it whatsoever. Every single scenery used, except perhaps the SK light behind the background sun, is way too bright given the background and polygon colors (the sun itself could also be darker). Furthermore it lacks boundaries, which would pose a gameplay problem (when people are injured they'd simply jump off the map to prevent you from getting their kill; plus the M79s).

The polygons are extremely bland. It would be much better with a few floating boulders and an enclosed playing field. Polygons are nearly more important than scenery; I've seen many people remark about scenery being absolutely beautiful in a map, but they do not bother to download it because its gameplay does not look very promising. Regarding the scenery, even, the sunlight-cone doesn't even cover the pool, and the reflection flash on the pool's surface isn't aligned with it.

All summed up, basically, I would much prefer a map with only two pieces of scenery but with heavily thought-out polygonal placement and vertex colors over this type of work. That's not to say that scenery is worthless and that the ability to place scenery on maps should be abolished, but good replayable gameplay should always come first, and then the beauties ;) Keep that in mind.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 11:09:27 am »
I updated the map, by doing some modifications that Keron and Sheepboy said I needed to modify. Hope it looks better.

Overviewv2

Screenshot1

Screenshot2

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 06:29:42 pm »
Awesome. Clouds are kinda bright (or perhaps just too opaque), but overall it's better than before. :) Keep working!

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 06:36:34 pm »
Awesome. Clouds are kinda bright (or perhaps just too opaque), but overall it's better than before. :) Keep working!

In-game, it should look darker, because the contrast of dark gray against a light/dark blue sky is exactly what you'd expect.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 06:38:50 pm »
I like how you changed it. Looking back, the greenish background didn't seem to fit what you had in mind with your short story, and stars always have a nice effect in a night sort of map. Good improvements ;).

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 02:24:04 am »
Now continuing the story. As you progress along the dead victims, you arrive on top of the hill, with a grave in the center of it. Embedded in the headstone is a person's name. You wipe away some of the leaves covering up the name. You can make out a [insert soldat nemesis here] on it. As you wonder why your arch-enemy has been killed, and have no recollection of actually killing him, the police jeeps arrive with their siren-lights blazing. Seeing the dead bodies, the police issue a caution tape to close the area off. Just as they close it, you swim across the lake without drowning, and get to the forest on the opposite side of the lake. Walking out to a small clearing, you find an opening that seems to lead to a....chamber. Bloodstains are on the wall, and have been there for some time, judging by the darkness of the stains. You find some notes on the ground, and pointing to the date of the murder, it said "Today was the day that I got the chance to kill the people who owe me money, and my arch-nemesis." reading further, you come to a section where the killer himself has signed his name. To your horror, it says, "[insert your name here]" Mind reeling, you pass out, and the police finds you and arrests you for murder.

You have been tried in court and have been acquitted, with a warning.