Author Topic: Deterioating ground?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
Deterioating ground?
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:02:39 pm »
Since that this game was infused with Quake and Worms, why not make the ground destructible, like in worms, by grenades, guns, M79s, LAWs, and heavy falls? It would be a nice way to create cover and to develop a means of capturing the flag.

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
Re: Deterioating ground?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 07:10:18 pm »
It's been discussed, and in turn in the rules has been asked not to be brought up again. Too complicated to code and I believe it would require alterations to the .PMS.

Ah, here it is:

→ Destructible terrain, liquids, VEHICLES, mobile polygons (these would require a gigantic map format change as already covered above, they would be huge changes to gameplay which would disgust many players, even more glitches would result from them, etc.)

Soldat Name: Kazuo Kiriyama

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 10:35:58 pm »
Oh yeah. Dynamic terrain and polygons, not a chance. Very detailed scripting I believe having to do with algorithms? Don't quote me on that...but it's an interesting form of math I have only heard of (and yes, you do use math when scripting for all who don't know ;)).

It is a nice idea though... Good luck finding a game with dynamic terrain. Very difficult stuff. If you want to play a game with somewhat dynamic terrains, either look at Soldner, or play an RPG called Wurm online. Soldner is a pretty nice 3d game with descructives like buildings, and trees (though singleplayer is pretty crappy).

Offline Not Not Muldritch

• Major
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 12:05:27 am »
Full support! While we're at it, let's add soldier classes, a couple dozen new weapons, and jeeps that double as nuclear missile launch pads.

I've actually always liked this idea, though.

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 12:35:27 am »
It's a good idea, yes, and I'm pretty sure MM would love to have it/the community wouldn't be too bothered by the addition of them, and mappers especially would love it.

It's just far, FAR too difficult to implement, last I remember.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 01:05:41 am »
Or a much simpler one, where a soldier goes in the water and creates a splash that only occurs when a soldier is in a scenery that includes the name "water" in it. Plus, swimming animations and controls would be nice.

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 01:46:20 am »
Or a much simpler one, where a soldier goes in the water and creates a splash that only occurs when a soldier is in a scenery that includes the name "water" in it. Plus, swimming animations and controls would be nice.

That, too, has been brought up a great number of times. All of these things would make great additions to Soldat and might increase the fun value, but they are all also very hard to implement. I think MM actually went out of his way once to say he won't be doing things like that.