Author Topic: A couple of interface options  (Read 1986 times)

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
A couple of interface options
« on: April 04, 2007, 04:06:21 pm »
Probably a bit late for these to be added in 1.4, but there are a couple of things I'd like to be able to do with an interface.

Firstly, instead of showing the name of your current weapon, I'd like to be able to display the image from the weapons menu instead, or possibly even both at once. Something like the example shown here:

Secondly, I'd like the option to change the way the bars deplete. Currently, when a bar changes, it merely shifts to the left and disappears, which means if you have a bar like this one, , the diagonal section on the left side shifts into the invisible zone, which makes the remaining section look out of place. So I'd like the option to make the bar disappear from right to left, instead of actually moving, to prevent that from happening.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
Re: A couple of interface options
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:17:06 pm »
Now, that sound interesting. The only question is: How would the first suggestion handle weapon mods?

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:26:36 pm »
Interesting and I'm sure useful idea.  I guess I support it (though I don't exactly understand the problem)...

Now, that sound interesting. The only question is: How would the first suggestion handle weapon mods?
My take on this would be a separate folder in the mod folder with all the 14 weapons in it as well as the bow (flame bow extra?), flamer.  And also perhaps an option to simply use the default pic instead of a customized weapon display pic.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 04:41:22 pm »
I have an idea about how to solve your issue with the weapon interface pictures. The interfaces could have a folder inside them with the weapon pictures they will use on the interface. If the folder is not found, then whatever images are currently used in the menu are loaded.
The bar depletion option sounds great, though I'm curious about how it will work. Maybe an option to choose what order the interface elements are layered would solve this as well. You would have an image on top, with the bar below, and it would be cut out in the shape of the bar image you had. Kinda hard to explain, but I hope you get the gist of it.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 05:29:22 pm »
#1: great idea. About the problem with existing mods, it really wouldn't take much interface editing to get it to fit, and would be well worth it.

#2: Maybe an option in the interface maker, as some people may still want the bar to move the old way. Good idea, though.

Full support for both! ;D
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 09:16:36 pm »
My take on this would be a separate folder in the mod folder with all the 14 weapons in it as well as the bow (flame bow extra?), flamer.  And also perhaps an option to simply use the default pic instead of a customized weapon display pic.

That's how I see it working. The reason for a separate group of images for the actual interface is that the weapons menu is extremely basic, having only a single background image, with weapons and text on top. Interfaces, of course, are much more customisable, and more often than not, more complex images one might see in a well built interface wouldn't look so good in the weapons menu, not to mention the possible size issues that could arise.

#2: Maybe an option in the interface maker, as some people may still want the bar to move the old way. Good idea, though.

Having it as an option is exactly what I'd want, since there are some interfaces that are supposed to look as though the bars are shifting, rather than just disappearing. This way, current interfaces wouldn't have to be modified (aside from maybe updating it to tell it which option to use).

The bar depletion option sounds great, though I'm curious about how it will work. Maybe an option to choose what order the interface elements are layered would solve this as well. You would have an image on top, with the bar below, and it would be cut out in the shape of the bar image you had. Kinda hard to explain, but I hope you get the gist of it.

I thought of that, but I think that lowering the alpha would screw that up a bit, since you'd be able to see the cut out sections through the upper layers.
  Maybe if there was a separate, invisible layer for each bar, like a mask, that would hide the portion of the bar it covered, then the game would move the invisible layers over the bars, rather than moving the bars themselves.
  Imagine, in the image below, the dark green box is the masking layer, and as you take damage, that layer moves over the health bar, making it transparent. Of course, the masking layers would only affect their respective bars, so as not to cut a box through the whole interface.

On top of that, it'd be nice if you could specify the shape of the mask itself, to retain the shape of the bar as it depletes (or maybe for other purposes), as shown here:

That's just one possibility. I'm no programmer, so I'm sure there'd be an easier way to implement it.

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:58:50 am »
This is a very cool idea.

It is pretty awesome, but like most minor cosmetic change ideas, there is little warrant for it. Ergo, there is little chance that it will be added. Unfortunately.

The second change is a problem, and probably could be considered.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 08:06:49 am »
Cool! There could be other images for weapons shown on Int. (in menu normal weapon and in Int for ex. weapons in black-white.