Author Topic: "Error initializing 3D hardware"  (Read 6172 times)

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
"Error initializing 3D hardware"
« on: June 27, 2006, 03:38:32 pm »
Keep in mind that I have read the sticky for FAQs, Common bugs, etc. in Soldat.

Soldat works fine on my home computer, but right now I'm on vacation and using my dad's laptop. Every time I start it up it says "Error initializing 3D hardware" and then there's a black screen when I start a game on a server, yet I can hear all of the sounds. ;_; It says "DirectX8 is not compatible with your hardware" I've tried updating the driver on the video card, and it says "There was an error updating your driver. This card's driver can't be updated" WAH!!! I always play in windowed mode, I try 16-bit, and everything else that sticky told me to do and it is still not working. I need my Soldat fix! Any good help would be appreciated!!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 04:15:11 pm by Twistkill »

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
Re: "Error initializing 3D hardware"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 04:17:18 pm »
If you want to properly update your video card driver, you need to uninstall the existing driver, reboot using the generic VGA driver, and THEN install the new driver.

Have you tried selecting the Force Software option? If you have, and it STILL fails, then I would say you are pretty much out of luck.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 04:28:59 pm »
If you want to properly update your video card driver, you need to uninstall the existing driver, reboot using the generic VGA driver, and THEN install the new driver.

Have you tried selecting the Force Software option? If you have, and it STILL fails, then I would say you are pretty much out of luck.
I selected the force software option and all I get is the stupid black screen yet I can hear the sounds of the game. ;o; In other words, it doesn't work.

I'm decent with the knowledge of computers, but can you run me through the process of uninstalling the driver, etc.? And keep in mind that this is my dad's laptop, so if anything happens that it will not work properly anymore, I'm fucked.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 04:41:50 pm »
If that's the case, I would recommend against trying anything, since you can b0rk it up. Particularily since the game doesn't even run in software mode. The chances of it ever working are about nil.

However, if you want to go ahead, the first thing you should try is Driver Cleaner Pro (http://www.drivercleaner.net/), it has a large number of cleaning solutions for various driver manufacturers. Read the manual on how it works before doing anything. Windows should fallback to the VGA driver on reboot, and you should then be able to install updated drivers. Make sure that you have the correct drivers ready to install before doing anything; incorrect versions of drivers may not install, or they may try to install and really screw things up.

Just remember, you do this at your own risk.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 05:07:33 pm »
have you reinstalled directx?  that should help this

Offline [/awesty]

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 05:46:13 am »
i have the exact same problem when i try to play it on my laptop.

it says "Now software will be used" at the end though. i get the same black screen with sounds. how do i put it into force mode or whatever?

Offline Le MeSsiE {neo}

• Major
  • Marchenchianteur
    • http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/play_fr.php?id=1116690
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 10:41:47 am »
I had too this same problem.
I reinstalled my graphic card, and then it was great.
Originally posted by Raptor
Who in this site needs french translation???
Je suis Français et je vous emmerde.

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 11:33:50 am »
I get this from time to time but I just restart soldat.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Soldier
  • Boomshakalack!
    • Real Soldat!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 12:24:39 pm »
Yea, it happens to me when I accidentally start soldat twice (or more). I just shut em down, and start soldat again.

Offline [/awesty]

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 08:47:35 pm »
how do i re-install my graphic card or put it into force mode? because i really want to play soldat but our main computer is scanning for viruses so i cant play it on that :(

Offline Liber Lupus

• Soldier
  • shoulddrinkmore
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 03:22:16 am »
i really want to play soldat but our main computer is scanning for viruses so i cant play it on that :(
A couple of hours of patience might fix that. Or scan it at night.

Offline [/awesty]

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 03:38:47 am »
yea. its done now but i also want to play against my brother. so would anyone be willing to tell me how to put it into force software option or whatever its called?

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 09:10:51 am »
depending on the age of the laptop, your card is either not a 3d card or doesnt support directX 8. so basicly...your fucked.
Just another soul to burn.

Offline [/awesty]

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 11:18:42 pm »
o... that sucks :(

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 03:42:23 pm »
I used to get that when i'd set the color bit to 16-bit in the Soldat options but the monitor was using 24-bit.

OBEY!!!

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 09:53:13 pm »
Eh, I'm back from vacation now. I get to virtually kill people far away again! =D I never get to use my dad's laptop anyways because I don't know his password and I'm not allowed to use it. -_-

Offline As Always

• Soldier
  • ZAKK WYLDE WOOOO
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 01:32:06 am »
Soldat works fine on my home computer, but right now I'm on vacation and using my dad's laptop.

Drive home.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 03:32:48 am »
Soldat works fine on my home computer, but right now I'm on vacation and using my dad's laptop.

Drive home.

This is the help forum, not a place to make "smart" replies. If you aren't going to offer actual help to someone, don't post here, it's no better than spam.

(Sorry for sounding mod-ish FLAB, I know it isn't my place to do so.)

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 12:47:44 pm »
depending on the age of the laptop, your card is either not a 3d card or doesnt support directX 8. so basicly...your ****ed.
See, that's what was bugging me... it's a Dell Inspiron 6000 and it's only a few months old...

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 03:35:29 pm »
depending on the age of the laptop, your card is either not a 3d card or doesnt support directX 8. so basicly...your ****ed.
See, that's what was bugging me... it's a Dell Inspiron 6000 and it's only a few months old...

After looking up the details of that notebook, it uses relatively cheap intel graphics(Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 GM). Soldat is probably requesting features that this chipset just doesn't support.  BTW, when you tried updating the drivers, you should have downloaded the mobile driver set from intel, not the normal ones.