Author Topic: Post your desktop  (Read 146218 times)

Offline Fawkzy

• Major(1)
  • :^)
Re: Post your desktop
« Reply #740 on: January 06, 2013, 05:41:44 am »

Desktop Environment lies. It's Cinnamon with Muffin as a window manager.

Offline rOy

• Soldier
« Reply #741 on: January 06, 2013, 08:01:21 am »
Hey
I've now only this  :P

Just Kidding jrgp (relax) ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:17:35 am by rOy »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #742 on: January 06, 2013, 03:49:35 pm »
Just Kidding jrgp (relax) ;D

Someone has good taste.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Overkill

• Major(1)
« Reply #743 on: January 08, 2013, 09:40:33 am »

Offline Fawkzy

• Major(1)
« Reply #744 on: March 23, 2013, 11:28:55 am »
LXDE for the biggest win.

Offline Overkill

• Major(1)
« Reply #745 on: March 26, 2013, 04:40:06 am »

Offline Fawkzy

• Major(1)
« Reply #746 on: April 07, 2013, 10:55:40 am »
Enlighenment 17 = Bestest Desktop Environment EVAR

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #747 on: April 07, 2013, 12:17:37 pm »
Enlighenment 17 = Bestest Desktop Environment EVAR

Win7, the *real* best desktop environment EVAR!

I only bother with fighting linux as a desktop OS on my laptops; my desktop is better off as Windows so I can get shit done that my laptops aren't powerful enough to do. Don't worry, all my servers are either Debian or CentOS though. That said, E17 felt too flashy/plasticy when I tried it last.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:24:22 pm by jrgp »

Offline Fawkzy

• Major(1)
« Reply #748 on: April 07, 2013, 01:04:29 pm »
Windows is and surely will still be superior to Linux when it comes to software choice and support, but it's gonna change someday. With Steam for Linux, I am totally sure I'll never have to use Windows again on my SSD, unless I'll be taking on specific apps that make use of DirectX libraries. Then I'll just buy a HDD, or pick one I already have for it and slap ntfs-3g on my Arched SSD so I can always take a look at my Win7 whenever it's borked or not willing to do a specific task.

Just a FYI, Windows 7 is not a desktop environment, it's an OS. Windows Aero is the DE of it. :V

And about servers, Debian is as late as CentOS, but hey, it's at least damn stable. Hey, have you tried out FreeBSD for them?

And laptops...what desktop environment do you prefer on them? Flux-/Openbox? MATE? Gnome?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #749 on: April 07, 2013, 01:40:45 pm »
Windows is and surely will still be superior to Linux when it comes to software choice and support, but it's gonna change someday. With Steam for Linux, I am totally sure I'll never have to use Windows again on my SSD, unless I'll be taking on specific apps that make use of DirectX libraries. Then I'll just buy a HDD, or pick one I already have for it and slap ntfs-3g on my Arched SSD so I can always take a look at my Win7 whenever it's borked or not willing to do a specific task.

Just a FYI, Windows 7 is not a desktop environment, it's an OS. Windows Aero is the DE of it. :V

And about servers, Debian is as late as CentOS, but hey, it's at least damn stable. Hey, have you tried out FreeBSD for them?

And laptops...what desktop environment do you prefer on them? Flux-/Openbox? MATE? Gnome?

I use win7 mainly because of Visual Studio (because c# is kind of nice and it's the easiest and most powerful way of writing windows apps quickly), and ofc also because of Steam. Valve still haven't ported the half life series to Linux steam and that really irks me.

I did run FreeBSD on my first colocated server for over a year, and security/stability might be the best thing going for it. The downside is how you have to either install programs from precompiled ports or have the system compile them all for you automatically from source. The issue is that if you're box is old, compiling *every* program you want to use can take days as not all programs have precompiled packages. This is the only con to using FreeBSD. If you're using FreeBSD as a load balancer or firewall (with relayd and pf respectively) then it's great as you have to install very little software to get it usable. The ease of apt-get and yum wins over FreeBSD's ports for this reason.

Regarding Debian/CentOS, I *much* prefer Debian and only use CentOS when the server has some hardware I can't get Debian to work with (or when I want to use OpenVZ as Debian dropped ovz support), an example being the sata controller on my newest colo. The best thing CentOS has going for it is the ten years of support, compared to Debian's ~3 and Ubuntu's 5. Ubuntu and Debian win however because you can easily upgrade from release to release without needing to reinstall. FreeBSD also supports upgrading from release to release, which is nice as their release cycle is really fucking weird.

On my laptops, I run Debian unstable with Fluxbox.  Someday I'll be able to afford a macbook pro and I'll probably just get them instead.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask more if you want.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:46:19 pm by jrgp »

Offline Fawkzy

• Major(1)
« Reply #750 on: April 07, 2013, 02:46:07 pm »
I'd rather cut our chatter here and take it to other threads or PM's to avoid off-topic discussion. Let's post some screens.

Have my Windows 7 Desktop I used somewhen back in 2011-2012.

Offline shay

• Major(1)
« Reply #751 on: April 09, 2013, 04:17:02 pm »
My desktop ;D

DarkCrusade

« Reply #752 on: April 25, 2013, 05:56:10 pm »
Daft Punk all the way.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #753 on: April 25, 2013, 06:05:42 pm »
Daft Punk all the way.

Crystal Castles all the way, even saw them live a few weeks ago. And why are you, in 2013, still running XP and using a single monitor that's 1280x1024?

Win7 + dual 1080p ftw.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #754 on: April 26, 2013, 09:05:34 am »
All I use my PC for is surfing the internet, organizing my music, drawing and writing my skilled works for school. I have a very full schedule because I work and receive off the job training. If I want to socialize with friends and meet my girlfriend from time to time, I have to cut back somewhere. I have that PC for years and never ran into problems. For my needs, it's the best and cheapest choice ;)

Offline Fawkzy

• Major(1)
« Reply #755 on: May 17, 2013, 10:58:52 am »
KDE gets better and better.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #756 on: May 17, 2013, 11:52:13 am »
New desktop background.

Offline Fawkzy

• Major(1)
« Reply #757 on: May 17, 2013, 01:43:02 pm »
New desktop background.

I'll hand ya right now a link to an archive containing 15 wallpapers from the new HTC Sense 5 - all of them are 1080p. Something for everyone.

https://mega.co.nz/#!xl5hwaKZ!Pqpnu30FPxie2F_dwvFq7Ty54mwongUCwP4YT6-JdLQ

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #758 on: June 28, 2013, 10:52:51 am »
It happened. I made the switch:

Hopefully the HDMI to DVI adapter will arrive in the mail today so I can plug in my second monitor. Wish me luck on finding a way to get Soldat to work.

Dual 1080p monitors + mac mini:

Fucking boss. :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:36:40 pm by jrgp »

Offline Fawkzy

• Major(1)
« Reply #759 on: June 29, 2013, 02:39:21 am »
Dual 1080p monitors + mac mini:

Looks pretty decent to me.

Off-topic: I heard some things and have also seen the new Mac Pro on Apple's website. This thing looks pretty much like your typical trash bin on the streets. Also, This.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:50:04 am by Fawkzy »