Author Topic: a real minigun  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Brok3n Arr0w

• Major
a real minigun
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:26:24 am »
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/4023/
NOTE: every fifth bullet fired is a tracer (bright lines)

i think we should implement this  :o

but seriously, the minigun needs some love. the bink and spin up need some fixing, like a prespin to keep it going or something so there's not that wait between bursts.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
Re: a real minigun
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 01:56:46 am »
well these bullets are already kinda tracers. In RL you wouldn't even see bullets flying

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 08:57:37 am »
this would mean that four in five bullets should be invisible... that's not soldat
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline gedazz

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 02:38:40 pm »
You don't need a tracer bullet when you can clearly see where your bullets fly and you have a cursor.

Offline Brok3n Arr0w

• Major
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 06:30:28 pm »
i'm not saying we need tracers in soldat.....i'm pointing out the fact the those miniguns have an insane rate of fire. the tracers make up 1/5 of the bullets being shot. not only that, but the miniguns are very accurate, unlike soldat miniguns that have huge bink.

maybe we should make the minigun have a huge rate of fire and less bink at the compromise of something else.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 06:49:31 pm »
you should probably note that those miniguns that you're talking about (like from that video) are actually mounted...  try out the stationary gun in soldat - it's very accurate.  Also realize that the guns in this game are developed to be balanced.  MM knows what he's doing ;)
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 07:09:50 pm »
Also, remember Soldat's combat is fairly physics-based. You need to know the curve of your bullets and where your target is, and make them connect.
I believe that the latest balance has a more controllable minigun, check that out and tell me if it still needs some love.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline {depth}shaman

• Soldier
  • I'm Warning lvl 1! So i suggest you lay low
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 07:11:50 pm »
i would suggest making a cool down spin. After starting up it would fire, when you stop, the less time you waited after a burst, the sonner it would start up again.
like this:
startup  -  burst 30 bullets  -  wait .5 seconds  -  half of normal startup  -  fire some more

startup  -  burst 30 bullets  -  wait 1 second     -  .75 of normal startup  -  fire some more

startup  -  burst 30 bullets  -  wait 1.5 seconds -  normal startup           -  fire some more

This way players could effectively burst the minigun without having to wait the full startup time in between bursts or noobishly unloaded all 100 bullets because the startup is so long.
really folks, the minigun and the saw both need some love.
Life's like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit goes down with each bite.

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 09:04:41 am »
what if it shot bullets during the start up time, only with a very slow rate of fire. and the fire rate increases to max (after the normal start up time has passed)

Looking down from ethereal skies

Offline ethadream

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 09:37:49 am »
Minigun doesn't need to be changed. It already pwns.
So does chainsaw.

Offline Hans Lemurson

• Major(1)
  • Coined the term "Socomized"
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 04:03:06 pm »
but the miniguns are very accurate, unlike soldat miniguns that have huge bink.

How accurate do you think it would be held by a person, rather than securely bolted down?

In reality, a human would have a difficult time even picking up a minigun, much less holding it steady in the face of it's recoil.  In Predator, they were forced to use a fake minigun because of this, though it's possible Jesse Ventura might have been able to lift a real one.
May the Lag be with you.

Alt+F1 - F3 are hotkeys for your custom lag settings.
Alt+F4 will disable the lag entirely.

Offline Snipufin

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 04:21:17 pm »
I think that minigun needs a bit more damage, with the current damage settings I can kill a guy with 50 minigun shots in a tunnel. :S
Name:     Snipufin
Position:    Soldier

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 05:15:49 pm »
Let's also make Soldat have a realistic Barrett.
[/sarcasm]

Offline Brok3n Arr0w

• Major
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 01:46:58 am »
Hans.....

a real minigun in real life, not mounted, has little recoil because of how much it weighs (especially the front w/ barrels). it works like that with all guns. light guns have more recoil while bigger ones have less (wieght not calibur). a .44 with a 5 inch barrel would have lots of kick, while my .44 with 10.5 inch barrel has little.

but those are mounted and really big. a smaller carry version would be just toned down in rate of fire, calibur, and accuracy a little.

p.s. the barret is fine

EDIT: i just saw the [/sarcasm]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:49:49 am by Brok3n Arr0w »

Offline Hans Lemurson

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 05:36:01 am »
Hans.....

a real minigun in real life, not mounted, has little recoil because of how much it weighs (especially the front w/ barrels). it works like that with all guns.
Gaaahh! *smacks you with a physics textbook* >:(

The force of the recoil is going to be exactly the same no matter how many bricks you duct-tape to your rifle.  Greater mass will however cause the gun to jump back more slowly, which may result in a lessened perception of the recoil.  (Strapping bricks to your rifle however, is generally inadvisable.  Though the increased mass may reduce the jerkiness, it will also make your gun f***ing heavy, and consequently hard hold and aim.)

An XM-214A weighs about 85kg, and firing 4-gram bullets at 800m/s at a rate of 20/second will give you a sustained recoil of about 70 newtons.

70 newton recoil / (100kg person + 85kg weapon) ≈ An acceleration of 0.35 m/(s^2).  That acceleration is enough to shove the wielder backwards over 15cm in just one second of firing.

So...holding a gun that weighs more than I do with a recoil sufficient to physicly shove me backwards...I don't really think I'd be able to aim that well.  Regardless of how well I braced myself to avoid being pushed back, the gun is still jumping around in my hands.

Realistic handheld minigun = inaccurate + trip to chiropractor. :P
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 05:40:02 am by Hans Lemurson »
May the Lag be with you.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 09:16:01 am »
How about a real grenade?

Offline Brok3n Arr0w

• Major
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 12:11:19 pm »
i didnt mean that weight affects recoil, i meant what u said.

i just looked up miniguns on wiki (it even mentioned soldat)and i no longer think that a realistic minigun in soldat is really possible.

i still think that it does need some love, so i'm gonna check out xtishereb's balance deal.

Offline Hans Lemurson

• Major(1)
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 01:45:46 pm »
i didnt mean that weight affects recoil, i meant what u said.

Ok then, sorry about the misunderstanding. 
I just get a little heated when I see*...Improper Physics(TM)

So...No hard feelings?
I had fun doing the calculations anyways.

(*From my perspective.)
May the Lag be with you.

Offline Avis

• Camper
  • Aufmachen, Gestapo
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 05:49:30 pm »
Hans.....

a real minigun in real life, not mounted, has little recoil because of how much it weighs (especially the front w/ barrels). it works like that with all guns. light guns have more recoil while bigger ones have less (wieght not calibur). a .44 with a 5 inch barrel would have lots of kick, while my .44 with 10.5 inch barrel has little.

but those are mounted and really big. a smaller carry version would be just toned down in rate of fire, calibur, and accuracy a little.

p.s. the barret is fine

EDIT: i just saw the [/sarcasm]

So you want to tell us that it's possible to handle a portable XM214?
Please tell me, that I've misinterpreted your argument, because I'm pretty sure you don't mean it.  :P
You actually had to triple the framerate* of Soldat, because the maximal firing rate would be 3600 rpm at 60fps, where that minigun... has like 10000?

*(the steps where code is executed, not the shown frames on the screen, if any scriptkiddie wants to tell me how many f/s his awesome PC runs Soldat with.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 06:07:29 pm by Avis »
BANG! 5:45 o' clock. It's the police raiding your home, blackmailing you.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 06:11:01 pm »
well, you could always add an infantry stand to make it portable, but I would be completely against it.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking