Author Topic: Suggestion to fix the minigun.  (Read 1733 times)

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
Suggestion to fix the minigun.
« on: March 14, 2007, 02:41:43 am »
Just came up with this;
What if the Minigun worked like a statgun (in a way).

What I mean, is how about when you start up the minigun, and let go of the mouse button, it will keep on spinning, and slowly stop, like when you're reloading- hence allowing burst fire.
No I do not want it to overheat.

Offline Mikeman

• Soldier
    • Nuke Corruption
Re: Suggestion to fix the minigun.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 02:53:17 am »
I think minigun is just fine atm  :)

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 04:35:00 am »
ANY improvements to minigun is my dream. Hope 1.4 will do this.
BUT
Mofo, you know that when you don't move in soldat quick enough, you die. Don't think it would be usefull. Maybe in realistic as long-range machine gun (spray)...

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 06:04:42 am »
Must I explain it more?

Currently, when you use the minigun, you have to startup, then bullets fire. When you let go, you have to start up again. What I'm proposing is that when you let go of the fire button, the weapon slowly stops (as in, the barrels slowly stop moving), and if you press the fire button again, you can continue to keep firing. But, if you do NOT fire again (either for a reload or because you don't need to use it), and the weapon goes to a complete stop, you'll have to start it up again.

Offline Mikeman

• Soldier
    • Nuke Corruption
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 06:08:06 am »
Ah now I see. Yes this thing I've been thinking too and should be added  :)

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 09:06:17 am »
You mean, if you let go for only half a second you'll still have a bit of startuptime off? Great idea.

Total support; this MUST be implemented.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline GluLm

• Camper
  • Polybugs' nightmare
    • maps pack project
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 01:08:13 pm »
I agree with this...
also reducing the self-bink on the minigun should help making it a decent weapon.
Anyway good ideas MofoNofo.
Bring back Soldat 1.3.1! New bullet trails DIE!

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 02:25:23 pm »
Yes, a pretty good idea. But I think that slowdown time should be pretty fast.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 03:25:38 pm »
Must I explain it more?

lol can't believe ppl didn't get it the first time...  it's a pretty obvious that this problem is highly unrealistic - but fixing it would make a lot of people run around constantly tapping the fire key so that when they actually need to fire they're all ready... that would kinda defeat its purpose.  And why should such a gun be constantly spinning - it would make more sense so on the battlefield.  Ehh, either way I guess I'd support it seeing as it does get really annoying when you let go for a fraction of a second that you have to restart it completely...
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline KingOfPing

• Major
  • You have huge mental retardation!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 04:43:37 pm »
This doesnt seem like a good idea because some noob could just fire like one bullet at a time so he doesnt have to restart all over again and then he could wait until a person who has to start-up the minigun and then *Pown* the noob gets a kill
I AM cool stop making fun of me!!

Offline imacheater2k7

• Soldier
  • Your friendly neighborhood semi-goth.
    • New VGN
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 08:04:43 pm »
This is a good idea, but once in the hands of the noobs, they will have, as they usually say, "Total PWNage!" If not for the noobs, I would totally support this. But, since I rarely play online due to Dial-Up, I support.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 08:11:07 pm »
Sure, it allows you to keep it spun up, but that is the point. You don't want to be unprepared, so you keep it spun up, but not firing. and you are ready.

And before you start, I'm not a "Noob".
I'm a newb.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 02:31:46 am »
Uhm...Someone keeping it "revving" wouldn't get that much of an advantage. The minigun sucks as it is (the only thing its good for is flying) so I support.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Brok3n Arr0w

• Major
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 01:21:45 am »
the minigun's aiming is crippled. the bink u get after little firing makes it horrible, the stopping and spinning up again makes you a dead man.

we could just make the minigun into what it is like in real life. total destruction. but i completely support the idea, and maybe some others. less bink is one. here's my idea for a minigun.

faster rate of fire
slower reload
damage is fine
less bink
spin up idea

there could be a few more improvements on these at the expense of slower walking too. i have a link to a video of some miniguns and gatling guns. OMFG they are bamf. here's the link to some minigun fire. NOTE: every fifth bullet fired is a tracer (the bright lines).

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/4023/
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Offline ethadream

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 09:41:43 am »
NO NO NO NO NO NON ON ONO NO NONON NON ON ON

Minigun is fine as it is!
Just try it for once, gosh. It's not that hard to use. It's really really powerful...
Man, I don't get why people think minigun sucks.

Bink helps minigun; the rate is already uber fast; if the reload gets any faster, it will be overpowered; damage is fine; and spin idea doesn't do anything, because you can kill 2 people with one clip, then you will have enough time to reload.

Offline {depth}shaman

• Soldier
  • I'm Warning lvl 1! So i suggest you lay low
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 09:32:55 pm »
So here's what your saying? I posted this in another spot. I think its a great idea. The start up kills the gun. Ill post it here, its a pretty well worded.

i would suggest making a cool down spin. After starting up it would fire, when you stop, the less time you waited after a burst, the sonner it would start up again.
like this:
startup  -  burst 30 bullets  -  wait .5 seconds  -  half of normal startup  -  fire some more

startup  -  burst 30 bullets  -  wait 1 second     -  .75 of normal startup  -  fire some more

startup  -  burst 30 bullets  -  wait 1.5 seconds -  normal startup           -  fire some more

This way players could effectively burst the minigun without having to wait the full startup time in between bursts or noobishly unloaded all 100 bullets because the startup is so long.
really folks, the minigun and the saw both need some love.
Life's like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit goes down with each bite.