Author Topic: Webring [ReLaunch!]  (Read 962 times)

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
Webring [ReLaunch!]
« on: May 04, 2007, 03:46:54 pm »
Hi,

I'm happy to announce that I've finally fixed the SoldatPage Webring.
You can start registering websites in the webring again.

Documentation
1. How to register a site?
2. Useful links
3. What's this all about?
4. How does it work?
5. Cool, I heard there are skins?
6. Changelog

1. How to register a site?
1. Go to SoldatPage
2. Register an account if you haven't already done so. If you already have an account go directly to step 4.
3. Open your Inbox (or Spambox, you never know) and find the activation code to activate your account.
4. Log In.
5. Go to the 'Add Website' page (Under the 'Soldat Webring' menu) and fill in the form.
6. Go to 'Edit Website' under the 'Soldat Webring' menu and copy the HTML code inside the textbox.
7. Paste the code on the page you entered during step 5.
8. Run a Webring Check to validate if the code has been placed correctly on your website.
9. Check if your site is included in the webring, it should be.

2. Useful links:
- SoldatPage
- A list of all sites currently in the Webring
- Add your site to the Webring *
- Edit your site in the Webring *

* Sites with an asterisk (*) require you to have an account on SoldatPage

3. What's this all about?
A Webring is some sort of 'player of websites'. Similar to any audio player you have the buttons "First", "Previous", "Next" and "Last". Instead of playing audio tracks, a webring redirects you to a certain website about Soldat. Using this method you can easily browse around some very intresting sites regarding Soldat.

4. How does it work?
First of all, any user can register his website in the SoldatPage Webring. Every site has a rank, compare it to some sort of playlist. The rank specifies after and before which website your website will be in the Webring. Normally, the newest website appears at the end of the list. However, there are some important websites which I put at the beginning of the list.

Every once in a while a Webring Check is executed. This check opens every website in the webring and checks if the webring is included in that website. If not, the website is temporarily taken out of the circulation until the website owner fixes his code. This way you won't land on a page that is in the webring but doesn't have the webring placed correctly on it.

5. Cool, I heard there are skins?
Yes, there are.
I've made chunks in CSS, so users can change the appearance of the webring on their website. if you want to make a skin then you might need the example file -- Still need to make this one -- it includes the example webring CSS file, images and a PSD template.
Once you made your skin please send it to me via one of the following methods:
MSN: DePhille[at]hotmail[dot]com
E-Mail: DePhille[at]gmail[dot]com
I'm checking each skin manually before I'm putting it in circulation. Once I approved your skin it will be available to everyone in the Webring.

Grtz, DePhille

Date Posted: 09-04-2007, 01:05:32
Important Updates:
The Webring has been added on soldat.pl's main site.
The Webring has been added on forums.soldat.pl .
Script has been improved to serve for soldat.pl and forums.soldat.pl .
soldatpl skin added
soldatpl2 skin added

Smaller updates:
Average loadtime statistic added.
"Check Websites" spelling fixed.

Stats:
Sites in webring: 9
Daily hits: +- 20 000
Skins: 4
Top3 sites: (1)Soldatforums, (2)Soldat.pl, (3)Turkish Soldat Community.

Grtz, DePhille

Date Posted: 15-04-2007, 15:38:58
I'm quite proud to announce that the Webring has just crossed 1 million visits. It took almost one month to reach this value, I'm expecting it to be 3 million within a month.
This signature was broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline Psycho

• Flagrunner
  • Decomposing
Re: Webring [ReLaunch!]
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 06:58:43 pm »
relaunch? I thought it was up all along.
so is there only soldat resource sites that are allowed or regular clan sites too?

Looking down from ethereal skies