Author Topic: double reg key usage detection?  (Read 2258 times)

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
double reg key usage detection?
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:09:00 am »
well I found this at the translation file of 1.4 and since many people seem to use the same reg key, I would like to know if they are not able to play at once any more (may be nice to tell them)

Your registration key is invalid or in use.
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: double reg key usage detection?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:16:20 am »
This is a message given when 1.4 detects that you're using either a fake key or a key that is being distributed online.  There may eventually be something added that will detect when one key is being used twice online, so don't share your key ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:22:58 am by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:44:40 am »
There may eventually be something added

... just like vehicles  8)
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:54:07 am »
There may eventually be something added

... just like vehicles  8)

er, if anything it'd be the exact opposite of vehicles...  MM said vehicles will never be in Soldat, whereas this is a feature that probably will be eventually.

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:12:16 pm »
I'm already happy with the Dragonflies eh ;)

OnTopic: I hope reg keys won't be checked for duplicates. I don't know how it would work without having a user system. You could bind the regkeys to a certain hardware serial number, but if you buy new hardware you'd have to buy a new key. Or contact someone who can update it for you. Another problem would be offline gameplay, it would become impossible to register Soldat on a computer without internet connection.
On the other hand, having a user system also has it's advantages. But I just think Soldat isn't big enough to have a usersystem, it would take longer to log in than to load Soldat.

Grtz, DePhille
This signature was broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 12:27:03 pm »

OnTopic: I hope reg keys won't be checked for duplicates. I don't know how it would work without having a user system. You could bind the regkeys to a certain hardware serial number, but if you buy new hardware you'd have to buy a new key. Or contact someone who can update it for you. Another problem would be offline gameplay, it would become impossible to register Soldat on a computer without internet connection.
On the other hand, having a user system also has it's advantages. But I just think Soldat isn't big enough to have a usersystem, it would take longer to log in than to load Soldat.

Grtz, DePhille

I don't see how any of what you said is a problem if Soldat just didn't let two people play online with the same key at the same time...

Offline Thomas

• Major
    • mnus.de
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:16:32 am »
if the gameserver will check the keys...
...happy key stealing

otherwise it would be cool

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 11:25:45 am »
What I thought of was not letting Soldat run if it's key isn't unique. If you only check when people start playing online then it wouldn't be a problem ofcourse, didn't think of that.

Thomas: The keys can be encrypted using md5, for example. md5 can be encrypted, not decrypted. Also, I think it's best to make a direct connection to the 'key server' instead of passing trough gameservers.

Grtz, DePhille

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 12:30:58 pm »
Any checking would not be done in any way that keys could be stolen even by the smartest/geekiest of people, I can assure you that.

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 01:14:29 pm »
What I thought of was not letting Soldat run if it's key isn't unique. If you only check when people start playing online then it wouldn't be a problem ofcourse, didn't think of that.

Thomas: The keys can be encrypted using md5, for example. md5 can be encrypted, not decrypted. Also, I think it's best to make a direct connection to the 'key server' instead of passing trough gameservers.

Grtz, DePhille

MD5 is NOT encryption, it is hashing. There is a very large difference.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 02:11:12 pm »
Maybe just have a database of registration keys for when soldat contacts it via the intrawebs if a key is being used by another IP neither of them could use soldat and would have to contact MM for a solution.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 02:30:59 pm »

MD5 is NOT encryption, it is hashing. There is a very large difference.
Correct.

I still doubt if it's a good idea. I wonder if the costs for the 'key server' and possible bugs will make up for the loss made by people sharing their key.

Grtz, DePhille

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 02:49:06 pm »
Don't worry about it, it wouldn't be done if it didn't work well.

Offline Thomas

• Major
    • mnus.de
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 04:00:14 pm »
That's how i would make it:
Soldat sends the (hashed/encrypted) key to the keyserver (every minute).
The key is marked 'used' for a few minutes.
As long as it is marked 'used' it cannot be used by other IP addresses.
But as always with such checking systems it's possible to bypass the keyserver

Offline Blazesign

• Major(1)
  • K4B00mz0r4H! H34DSH0T!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 06:56:45 am »

Grtz, DePhille
Dragonflies was april fool, was it?
This place is another planets hell. We all have sin, Because we're here.

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 07:15:03 am »

Grtz, DePhille
Dragonflies was april fool, was it?

Yes it was! There will not be any dragonflies!
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]