Author Topic: Capture and Hold  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Akoran

• Major(1)
Capture and Hold
« on: April 10, 2007, 09:31:40 am »
Ok, this is an idea for a new game type. Dotted around the map are four markers, possibly flags. each team has their own flag at their base. each time one of the flag-markers is brought to a team's own flag, it returns to its place as that team's colour, and is 'under their control'. if a player carrying the flag is killed, the flag is returned. Each team gets 1 point for every 5 seconds they 'control' a flag. If a team controls a flag that the other team is taking to their own base, they still get the point until the other team captures that flag.

Ok?

Date Posted: April 10, 2007, 10:29:16 AM
Or, if that is a bit to complicated, each team captures a flag by standing at it for an amount of time, thus turning the flag their colour.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
Re: Capture and Hold
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 11:56:47 am »
Heh, at first upon reading only the topic title I was gonna say "It's called Hold the Flag, d00d" :P

Hm... I don't think any team would ever be able to score at all with all four teams since it would be constantly swarmed by the other three; two would work out better. This is a pretty interesting idea, but what do you mean by this?:
... if a player carrying the flag is killed, the flag is returned.
I would think that the flag would simply become loose.

Sounds like KotH to me, but each team has its own specific zone, and instead of simply camping there, one member must flag-carry for the team to score. Cool! :)

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 04:39:36 pm »
That is possibly the first GOOD new gamemode suggestion that I've heard. Awesome idea!
But maybe add what Keron Cyst said. ;)
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 01:57:08 pm »
How about  modify it into like a Convoy gamemode? The flag carrier has his movement slighty impeded, but a tad more health; and the rest of alpha has to protect him. The have to travel to 4-5 different zones and protect the guy, and each zone they get to gives them another point. Once Alpha or Bravo is destroyed, the convoy team switches. The flag can be returned by Bravo, and alpha as to get the flag back and travel forward again, without getting the points at the convoy stops they already passed through.. I like this better because of the movement. Less camping and stuff.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 02:28:10 pm »
Convoy sounds better; now that I think about it, Capture and Hold is what about half of the HTF maps do, like htf_Mare... just get the flag, and lazily camp at your base while the rest of the team defends. Never mind... I don't like CaH anymore :P Perhaps this could be combined with Mr. Domino's idea to institute Charlie and Delta into HTF, tho'.

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 05:52:28 pm »
It's...It's not quite the same as HTF. In that you are defending a person, in this a flag (like King of the hill, ya?).
I don't like HTF..No structure.
Convoy sounds kinda like a multi-stage infiltration (which I would like rather than the current inf).
Think like Unreal Tournament's infiltration mode, that would be cool. One team (or flag carrier) has to get to a bunch of diffrent points on the map to win, the other team stops them. At some point the teams change (either when one team wins or a team is killed) and then the roles are reversed.

Try this: Make and inf map where alpha starts with the black flag and has to get it to the white flag. That's what I mean, except having multiple white flags that go in order.

PS: I don't think the flag should change your stats (health/speed) 'cos that is A) messy to code since it doesn't already exist and B) just not soldat.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 06:53:33 pm »
PS: I don't think the flag should change your stats (health/speed) 'cos that is A) messy to code since it doesn't already exist and B) just not soldat.

I was actually playing convoy in my head, and I asked myself, "How can I be a cheap sun'v'*****? OH JUsT RUN REALLY FAST WITH MINIGUN!!!!" I thought slowing them down might've been a good idea, since they ARE carrying a flag. It also forces people to stick with the flag man, they have to defend.

It's not a needed option though if John Q. Public demands it to be removed, it wouldn't affect sutff too much.

WE GOT A GREAT-BIG CONNNVOOOOYYY TRUCKIN' THROUGH THE NIIIIGHHTTTT,
WE GOT A GREAT-BIG CONNNVOOOOYYY AIN'T SHE A BEAUTIFUL SIGHT!!!
WE'LL CRASH THE GATE,
DOIN' NINETY EIGHT...

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 06:55:15 pm by The Philanthropist »

Offline X-Rayz

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 10:10:03 pm »
Is this like conquest mode in Battlefield? It sounds cool but, I think campers would become a problem.

And convoy sounds cool. Like that 'Protect the V.I.P' suggestion someone had before.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 12:44:17 am »
It's...It's not quite the same as HTF. In that you are defending a person, in this a flag (like King of the hill, ya?).
I don't like HTF..No structure.
Trust me, this suggested gamemode requires exactly the type of horrible HTF gameplay as dictated by such maps like htf_Mare and perhaps htf_Futura. Grab the flag and camp at your spawn.

(No offense :P)

Offline Therion

• Major
  • Realism Fetishist
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 07:42:19 am »
How about capture the Victory Location mode? Players would have to fight over terrain - there would be critical points on map like hills, bunkers, etc. that would have to be captured and held - it would be a good mode for Trench Warfare...
My DA gallery

"Black, fearsome and grim and mighty Panzer division Marduk rolls over enemy land
Striking hard and fast against your lines We blow your fortress into sand"

Offline Akoran

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 09:13:04 am »
I agree wholly with convoy, simply defending the flag at your base would be a horrible idea. Im not exactly a veteran with soldat, so I find myself tugged between several ideas, however Convoy does seem more practical and entertaining. However, if you have the entire team surrounding the convoy, one well placed M79...

But yeah, convoy does seem like a really good idea. I agree with hiro on stat changes though...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 09:16:44 am by Akoran »

Offline JohnCena

• Soldier
  • Down since day one!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 02:08:08 pm »
It would be one big camp gamemode nothing interesting about that
You want some come get some!

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 06:41:20 am »
*sigh*
The whole point is that the flag points (this is talking about the original suggestion) are NOT your base. So all this about "camping at your spawn/base/flag" is wrong.
What Therion said sounds like what was suggested.
It would be like doimintation from UnrealTournament: GOTY

The new suggetion IMO should replace Inf as it would be inf with multiple capture points.

Offline Banksey

• Major
  • Proud smoker of Marlboro Reds
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 09:06:54 am »
Two words DOUBLE DOMINATION...Anyone who ever played Unreal 04 or whatever, Thats basically what your suggesting, And I for one like it

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 08:22:37 am »
Well, convoy is a great Idea.

I'd say "V.I.P" replaces HTF.

Offline Protoman

• Soldier
  • ~whistle~
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 10:54:37 am »
This idea reminds me of Uplink from Nightfire.
Its an okay idea, but this wil lead to much camping.

Offline Toxic Avenger

• Major
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 11:03:26 am »
Sounds fun but complicated.