Author Topic: Proto's Minimi Guide  (Read 957 times)

Offline Protoman

• Soldier
  • ~whistle~
Proto's Minimi Guide
« on: April 09, 2007, 09:25:55 pm »
Not really what I'm putting this here, but here....
...oh wait, yes I do. I read the Barret guide ~beautifully written by Blue Ninja, I might add~ and I thought I might be a complete copycat since I use the minimi so much.

First off, the FN Minimi is actually called the FN Minimi. I looked it up in a gun book at borders, and no... not Guns for Dummies. It was actually a machine gun with a recractable bipod for point defense. It usually held much more ammo than 50 rounds; it has a box of ammo hanging off it, not just a clip.

Rapid Fire and the Clip to own all Clips: The minimi has a godly clip. This allows for much shootings, but you shouldn't get so cocky. 50 bullets will leave your gun quickly, and like the AK 74, you must make everyone count. Dont fire until you have a clear shot and make sure you dont waste any ammo when your target bounces in and out of cover. Also, tap your mouse button and try to get it so you fire 2 bullets with each mouse click.

Reloading can be a *****. This is why wise ammo usage and choosing the right time to reload is essencial. Four seconds doesn't go by nearly fast enough in soldat, so make sure you have the Socom or a knife ready in your arsenal. Once you kill someone with an automatic weapon like the Steyr or teh HK MP5, I love to throw away my secondary and use that. Its like double jepordy, you have a similar weapon ready to go once the Minimi runs dry.

Camping with the Minimi is fun. This 'frowned upon' tactic can leave your enemies off their guard, and when it comes to this deadly accurate large clip gun, they will definatly be off their guard. Use shrubery (heh, spamalot) to hide yourself and defend positions by striking the enemy from far away. Remember, Eight shots... thats it. Hit them eight times and there gone.

This gun is accurate: I love to fight from far away. It keeps you out of reach from annoying HK MP5 sprayers M79 spammers and makes it harder for Barrets and Rugers to pull off their shots. Just do it, fight from far away and you'll probebly win.

On that note, the HK MP5... If this game was like magic, and every gun had its weakness, the HK MP5 would be the water to your firepower. It does three things to you:
1) Sprays bullets everywhere, making escape hard
2) Throws you off your guard
3) If someone is hitting you with an HK MP5, it means your in close combat. Not good.
Stay far away! It's just that important!

More on Long Range. Since the creator of Soldat put no scope on this weapon, its long range and speedy bullets are wasted. The bullet dips down a bit when you shoot long range, so note that. Also, if someone you're attack just so happens to go off screen while your chasing him, fire a  dozen or so bullets about a soldier-and-a-half's length above your target and spray them so they might hit him as he is running away. If the playing field is flat and you're lucky, you'll kill that fleeing *******!

Lastly, some pointers. I always say "Two minimi's at a flag its a great defence". The FN Minimi is a defensive weapon. Though I just wrote down all these attack manuvers, try to be cautious and ask questions before you shoot. It just safer and you'll wind up with more kills than deaths. I know I always do!

Enjoy my guide!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:28:03 pm by Protoman »

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
Re: Proto's Minimi Guide
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 03:00:34 am »
Im sorry, but I disagree with almost everything you said in your guide (I consider myself a good minime user btw).

Rapid Fire and the Clip to own all Clips: The minimi has a godly clip. This allows for much shootings, but you shouldn't get so cocky. 50 bullets will leave your gun quickly, and like the AK 74, you must make everyone count. Dont fire until you have a clear shot and make sure you dont waste any ammo when your target bounces in and out of cover. Also, tap your mouse button and try to get it so you fire 2 bullets with each mouse click.

Your analysis is good and obvious, but your suggestion to try to fire 2 bullets with each clip is not good. Minime can fire around 5-6 bullets per click with 100% accuracy, and thats what you should be aiming to do.

Reloading can be a *****. This is why wise ammo usage and choosing the right time to reload is essencial. Four seconds doesn't go by nearly fast enough in soldat, so make sure you have the Socom or a knife ready in your arsenal. Once you kill someone with an automatic weapon like the Steyr or teh HK MP5, I love to throw away my secondary and use that. Its like double jepordy, you have a similar weapon ready to go once the Minimi runs dry.

Choosing when to reload will come with experience, especially in clanwars. This is why I always preach looking at hte killlog as much as you can. Knowing when your opponents died, when you expect them to respawn, and when you expect them to be at a certain spot should all contribute to your decision about when to reload. Also, you should not reload minime with 30+ shots unless you are absolutely sure you can rush and not contact your opponents until your done reloading, because 30+ shots, a nade and a secondary is enough to kill 3 people.

Camping with the Minimi is fun. This 'frowned upon' tactic can leave your enemies off their guard, and when it comes to this deadly accurate large clip gun, they will definatly be off their guard. Use shrubery (heh, spamalot) to hide yourself and defend positions by striking the enemy from far away. Remember, Eight shots... thats it. Hit them eight times and there gone.

Camping is a horrible tactic with minime. Minime is a pure rush weapon because of its ability to kill so many people quickly. Defending or camping is better suited to weapons like AK or ruger which are more accurate and powerful because in 1v1 situations they have the best chance of winning, the minime is more suited for 1v2 situations and getting double and triple kills.

This gun is accurate: I love to fight from far away. It keeps you out of reach from annoying HK MP5 sprayers M79 spammers and makes it harder for Barrets and Rugers to pull off their shots. Just do it, fight from far away and you'll probebly win.

I dont think its accurate, its probably tied with mp5 in terms of accuracy, and less accurate than ak and steyr. But fighting on long range if thats what you prefer to do, is more suited for a ak. Although minime is good for fighting on long range, its better suited to rush and get double and triple kills.

On that note, the HK MP5... If this game was like magic, and every gun had its weakness, the HK MP5 would be the water to your firepower. It does three things to you:
1) Sprays bullets everywhere, making escape hard
2) Throws you off your guard
3) If someone is hitting you with an HK MP5, it means your in close combat. Not good.
Stay far away! It's just that important!

Actually, I would say any semi-auto is minimes weakness, because at short range where you should be fighting with minime(Since you will be rushing), they will kill you faster than you can kill them. Ofcourse a barret or ak camper is every weapons weakness. ::)

More on Long Range. Since the creator of Soldat put no scope on this weapon, its long range and speedy bullets are wasted. The bullet dips down a bit when you shoot long range, so note that. Also, if someone you're attack just so happens to go off screen while your chasing him, fire a  dozen or so bullets about a soldier-and-a-half's length above your target and spray them so they might hit him as he is running away. If the playing field is flat and you're lucky, you'll kill that fleeing *******!

I think the soldier in a half above is just getting complicated than need be. Usually most people will shoot 5 bullets, see why and where they are missing, and adjust thier mouse to get more accurate shots.

Lastly, some pointers. I always say "Two minimi's at a flag its a great defence". The FN Minimi is a defensive weapon. Though I just wrote down all these attack manuvers, try to be cautious and ask questions before you shoot. It just safer and you'll wind up with more kills than deaths. I know I always do!

Like I already said a few times, minime is just a toned down version of AK for defensive purposes, so why use the minime and not the AK if you want to defend. Its much better to rush with minime due to its ammo and fire-interval capabilities.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline JohnCena

• Soldier
  • Down since day one!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 03:51:09 am »
I like his guide and maybe u even got me to use minimi hehe i kinda like it now thax!
You want some come get some!

Offline X-Rayz

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 04:51:37 am »
Poop
Your analysis is good and obvious, but your suggestion to try to fire 2 bullets with each clip is not good. Minime can fire around 5-6 bullets per click with 100% accuracy, and thats what you should be aiming to do.

I agree.

Choosing when to reload will come with experience, especially in clanwars. This is why I always preach looking at hte killlog as much as you can. Knowing when your opponents died, when you expect them to respawn, and when you expect them to be at a certain spot should all contribute to your decision about when to reload. Also, you should not reload minime with 30+ shots unless you are absolutely sure you can rush and not contact your opponents until your done reloading, because 30+ shots, a nade and a secondary is enough to kill 3 people.

I agree.

Camping is a horrible tactic with minime. Minime is a pure rush weapon because of its ability to kill so many people quickly. Defending or camping is better suited to weapons like AK or ruger which are more accurate and powerful because in 1v1 situations they have the best chance of winning, the minime is more suited for 1v2 situations and getting double and triple kills.

I kind've agree. For me, the minimi has always been a kind of slow and steady gun. You run until you see an enemy, then you hover and shoot him. Rinse, Repeat. This might just be from habit but, I dunno.

I dont think its accurate, its probably tied with mp5 in terms of accuracy, and less accurate than ak and steyr. But fighting on long range if thats what you prefer to do, is more suited for a ak. Although minime is good for fighting on long range, its better suited to rush and get double and triple kills.

And THAT is where I say BULLCRAP. The Minimi is hella accurate. As long as you do the burst/single fire thing, the minimi is as accurate as all hell. To say it's like the MP5 is like saying a hot air balloon might beat a jet plane in a race.

And everything else you said, I can't be bothered to read.

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 06:01:17 am »
I don't really use the Minimi much but sometimes I accidently select it as it is underneath the Barrett in the wep menu  [retard] (same wif m79).

This guide is quite helpful and I will take both viewpoints (Proto and Poop) into mind the next time I accidently select the Minimi. Nice guide!
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:53:57 am »
*Gets out SDF stamp of approval and sig lighter of smelting ready or criticism*

Poop

I agree, although it's good to be carefull not to stray too close to the cut-off point were the self-bink really has effect.

I agree, although I have a habit of almost subconsciously immediately reloading after each fight unless theres someone coming right at me.

I kind've agree. For me, the minimi has always been a kind of slow and steady gun. You run until you see an enemy, then you hover and shoot him. Rinse, Repeat. This might just be from habit but, I dunno.

I agree, but sometimes it's fun to use my camouflage to ambush people and give them some serious spray-in-yo-face.

I agree with Z-rayz. - 
And THAT is where I say BULLCRAP. The Minimi is hella accurate. As long as you do the burst/single fire thing, the minimi is as accurate as all hell. To say it's like the MP5 is like saying a hot air balloon might beat a jet plane in a race.

Actually, I would say any semi-auto is minimes weakness, because at short range where you should be fighting with minime(Since you will be rushing), they will kill you faster than you can kill them. Ofcourse a barret or ak camper is every weapons weakness. ::)

It depends on the map and situation, but FN Minimi is best used at mid range instead of just just rushing (although I do actualy have a habit of rushing  ::)) because rushing puts you at risk of M79s and sprayers with poor accuacy, but ruishing can be good for shock-trooping the enemy's base.

Aye, semi-autos are the minimi's weakness. You should be able to beat an mp5 unless it's a very small map.

I think the soldier in a half above is just getting complicated than need be. Usually most people will shoot 5 bullets, see why and where they are missing, and adjust thier mouse to get more accurate shots.

A soldier and a half is too simple for calculating shots. As you said, it's best to adjust your line of bullets to the speed and direction of the enemy.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:07:27 am by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 06:11:24 pm »
I am one of the few avid Minimi users I see lately, (If you don't believe me, check the Elite or U13 stats; Minimi is near the lower end out of all the autos.) and I have to say that it has near perfectly balanced. It has the highest reload out of the autos and it has 2 movementacc instead of 1 like the other autos, but thew other stats are made to counteract these weaknesses without overpowering it.

You may think movementacc is not a big deal, but when you're holding down the left or right keys to advance, that's when it hurts. This isn't as prominent with the Barrett, because you have one shot to kill them, thus you can stop for a second to make your shot, (and even then you can miss, because movementacc affects you every single second you're moving unless you're at a complete stand-still) but when you're using an auto, it's different. You don't have time to stop moving and just hover in the air while firing bullets, especially with the reload.

One of the keys to using it well is to adjust your aim properly. It has the second highest speed out of the autos but it's movementacc kills that speed a little, so you'll want to aim just a bit above a soldat's head at mid-range, while balancing the clip; you don't want to run out of ammo in the middle of a crowded Deathmatch server. If you think you have some space, reload, and if someone comes along, just jet out of their range until you're done.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P