Author Topic: "Noob" -Getting out of hand?  (Read 10956 times)

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
"Noob" -Getting out of hand?
« on: June 28, 2006, 09:26:34 am »
Fucking noob healer

Yes, that is what greeted me today on a soldat server. A noob for using a health pack. how so? Being called a "noob" is really getting out of hand. You can get called a noob for capping these days(OMFG FLAG RUNNER!!!!). Really is starting bug me, i never saw crap like this in the earlier versions -People seem to be getting worse and worse(mentally). Playing public now is just annoying, not even fun. Thank god for gathers! =D
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Chakra

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
Re: "Noob" -Getting out of hand?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 10:05:13 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noob

...Noob. A part of computing since 1980, used since the Vietnam war.

Do yourself a favour, turn the console off in Soldat. No more chat.
MM; seriously Chakra, stop the fisting
Yes, I'm still alive.

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 10:05:40 am »
wow, I've never heard that one.  But I can say that I've been called a noob for using every single weaon at least once.  Apparently, every weapon (including nades) is cheap and noobish to someone.

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 10:20:28 am »
Yea, instead of turning off all chat, you can type /mute <player name> or /mute <player slot #>

to get slot #'s press f1 then /.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:27:41 am »
It seems that when you get good with a certain weapon, you become a "noob". It should be noted that I think only n00bs (people who play like newbs even though they're not, unwilling to learn and change, i.e. flag campers who don't go after the EFC, people camping on Alpha in inf mode, people doing excessive ammounts of close-range M79 shots) seem to use the term "noob". It seems to be an all-purpose insult whenever you get killed to some people. As opposed to calling them something accurate (i.e., nade spammer, sprayer, camper), you call them "noob". I find that unimaginative, bland, and conforming.

Chakra, I would turn off the console except sometimes I need to know where the EFC is going, even if my teammates only say it about half the time. And don't forget the hilarious conversations that occur sometimes.

Nice idea Zamorak, I'll do that next time someone types something every time they kill someone.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 10:32:49 am »
from wikipedia
Some forums have banned some of the more common spelling variations ("newb", "knob" , "nub", "noob", "no0b", "n00b", "nib", "nibblins", "Frodo Nibblins","fruity noob", "newblet(s)", "nub sauce", "nubz", "nubcakes", "nublich", "nubzorz", "Niblit", "nob", "nab", "naab", and "nublets") in an attempt to reduce flame wars.

Wow never knew there was that many!

This has, of course, led to more variations, such as "s00b", "ch00b", "fr00b" and "gl00b". It has also led to numerous character-swap versions such as "n()()b" and "n|_|b", both of which are used to bypass a swear filter.

Just when you thought it would end!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 10:34:24 am by CheeSeMan. »
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline ^_^

• Soldier
  • AKA Charlotte :-D
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 10:39:32 am »
I really cant stand them either. Every god damned server I go to I  get called

"stupid bitch"
"Barretard"
"Nub"
"Noob"
"Nob"
Or even "Deagle sprayer" (wait... Is that even possible??!)

atleast once. Its so very, very annoying. >:(
In-Game names: Charlotte, Gin Fox, Agent Sonnata.
Current Mod Project: The Dark Lament.

Offline Le MeSsiE {neo}

• Major
  • Marchenchianteur
    • http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/play_fr.php?id=1116690
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 10:44:41 am »
****ing noob healer

Yes, that is what greeted me today on a soldat server. A noob for using a health pack. how so? Being called a "noob" is really getting out of hand. You can get called a noob for capping these days(OMFG FLAG RUNNER!!!!). Really is starting bug me, i never saw crap like this in the earlier versions -People seem to be getting worse and worse(mentally). Playing public now is just annoying, not even fun. Thank god for gathers! =D

Coucou CheeSeman  :)
The human is in fact a strange creature...
Originally posted by Raptor
Who in this site needs french translation???
Je suis Français et je vous emmerde.

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 11:02:11 am »
Its the great tragedy of their irony and ignorance that gets me annoyed, as the ones that shout "noob", "runner", "sprayer" etc are normally the ones that truly don’t have much skill.

I only ever call someone a noob if they are the sort of people that say "pwned", "noob" etc every time they kill someone as if the fact that they killed someone just once (and often quite cheaply) means that they totaly own them. When I do call those sort of people noobs after killing them, I feel good as I've shoved them into place but then I feel all dirty for going down to their level. 

Then theres also the case of the player is new or at least acting like it, then I might say noobie.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 03:37:47 pm by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline Krillious

• Camper
  • If you were a hindu I could aim for the dot
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 11:22:02 am »
I like it when people call me a noob because it means I am better than someone :D
I call people noobs most of the time to piss them off :D

PK_FIRE

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 01:00:12 pm »
Some people call other players noobs sometimes because they actually are noobs. They go around, holding the mouse button, and spray their shit everywhere without aiming. They randomly lob grenades at groups of teammates because of one enemy in the middle of them. Then, there's the people who are so fed-up with dieing and too compeditive that they get angry when an enemy kills them. They find the flaw in their non-perfect kill. That would include medic pack healing, spraying, grenade lobbing, camping, and the like. Come to think about it, there really is no perfect kill.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 02:00:46 pm »
well, i can't complain about noob healing because i use a barret so that nobody can steal my kills!  Secondly, it is annoying if you're attacked by a machine gun and instantly eat up all the available health packs of one area.  Someone should make a suggestion stating that you can only pick up another health box 5 seconds after the previous one has been taken.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

krasnal

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 02:50:38 pm »
noobs :o)

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 03:06:35 pm »
lol

I find the term 'n00b' used by those who are in second place or lower, talking to someone above them.
In mine eye, there is no such thing as a n00b. If someone camps I use steyr to bink em, if they are getting close shots with m79 I stay away and own with ruger. IOW, the only noob is the one saying it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 03:08:33 pm by iDante »

Offline Meep.

• Camper
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 03:14:22 pm »
"Noob"  Because of it's over usage I don't even think of it as, "A newbie (also spelled noob, newb, or n00b in the leetspeak of internet culture) is a to a particular field, the term being commonly used on the internet, where it might refer to new users of a game, a newsgroup, the World Wide Web itself, or an operating system," but rather as a common article such as "the"  ::).

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 03:47:14 pm »
Well, ever since I started playing modern games(soldat included) last year people I noticed people calling each other noobs.
I have noticed a increase in use in soldat though. But even in halo 2 on xbl people are always calling eachother noobs for the same reason in soldat.

Really people should just concentrate on the game and focus on their actions.
There are other worlds than these

Offline EsPiO

• Major(1)
  • Ninja!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 03:59:07 pm »
I think I'm going for a record this week on the amount of times I've been called a noob or accused of hacking!  ::) ::)

Offline Svirin Kerath

• Camper
  • O NO I GOT SHOTD
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 04:13:18 pm »
i just shoot them when they're typing and laugh.
I AM A SMARTARSED PRICK OF A HUMAN BEING

I AM ALSO DOUCHEBAGGERY, AND I'M SPREADING

Offline GNU

• Major
    • Australian Soldat Community
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 05:47:32 pm »
/mute works too.

Offline kingkitty

• Soldier
  • Yes!
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 07:36:51 pm »
http://wiki.soldat.nl/Noob

In every game that has an online element, there will always be hackers, legends, and people who call other people noobs.

Now maybe the reason noob calling is increasing is that, more people are capping, camping, and healing more often? And there are more people who think this is nooby? :|
I'm away.