Author Topic: ctf_Aerials [0.8]  (Read 3153 times)

Offline j4n0

• Major(1)
  • lolwut
ctf_Aerials [0.8]
« on: April 11, 2007, 11:04:10 am »
Click image for bigger size

My first map that I've decided to publish since quite long time. It looks defalutish imo. ;P

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
Re: ctf_Aerials [0.8]
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 11:10:52 am »
 :o It's strange but really good shaded. Nice.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:16:24 am »
I'm not crazy about the Charlie/Delta spawn points, but that's a great looking map which should have good gameplay just looking at the layout. The texture doesn't do the shading and polygon placement justice. You really should use something different for those spiral eagle crest looking segments so that they stand out and showcase the spiral and shading on them better.

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 12:36:12 pm »
WOW really nice map im agree with PaFel
did with poly works?

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 01:40:34 pm »
wow, it looks pretty nice,

Leo?
Server?
Put?
Up?

Offline Mr. America

• Soldier
  • Watch out for the blablabla!
    • My arcor homepage. There are just my maps.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 02:27:38 pm »
look's nice, gameplay's ?

Sytrus: Perhaps you didn't see the [0.8] in the title ;) That means version 0.8 ; )

Offline j4n0

• Major(1)
  • lolwut
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 02:39:02 pm »
Mr. Domino: I've tried to multitexture it. It's just too hard, map is builded with big polys. I can only darken everything else, so those wings look brighter...
Skykaden: Yes, of course, I can't even imagine how to do something like this without Polyworks.
Sytrus: I don't really think it's THAT good. ;D
Mr. America: I haven't playtested it yet, because I don't have my server, I don't know anyone who has it and my connection suck. It would be nice if someone helps me. ;] It's version 0.8 for the same reason.

Meh my english is really poor. ._.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 02:49:09 pm »
Your english may be poor, but the map looks great, IMO. :D]

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 03:45:03 pm »
Mr. Domino: I've tried to multitexture it. It's just too hard, map is builded with big polys. I can only darken everything else, so those wings look brighter..

That's too bad. :( Still looks great, but after playing it for a bit on the server, I have to say it's a very slow map. I'd suggest sloping the bottom so that it's easier to get across the map. You can stand to remove that bottomless pit as well, as people are likely to use that as a means to avoid deaths when injured and in danger. Then you'd have a balance of a quicker route albeit with more frequent encounters, and a higher but slower one that'll give you height advantage but take longer to move about.

On the ends you have some jutting platforms that the flags spawn on. I'd suggest removing them and just letting it spawn on the ground. It'd both create some more room to fight around and get rid of that bottleneck on the spawn point below that will make it a target for easy and safe spawn killing.

Also, the map from the name and polygon structures should have an airy and flowing look about it, so unnecessary jagged intrusions such as the above platform or those "V" points where the top medikits spawn could be removed or smoothed out to enhance the theme. Some well placed cloud scenery and changing that purple/black polygon color to blue would help its atmosphere, in my opinion.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 04:16:53 pm »
^ If that were the case, players would be committing suicide in ctf_Voland all the time. ;) It's not bottomless; there are deadly polygons beyond the illusory scenery.

The land is extremely flat and plain, open to spraying and boredom. It is also pretty annoying to have not used any scenery except for the limit for server-downloading; even barren maps like ctf_Kampf or inf_Outpost have something. The floating boulders in the top-corners are oddly shaped and difficult to grab onto in-game. To be honest, the only thing it's got going (for me personally) is the polygon-art; this could use a bit of work, although I realize the atmosphere presented isn't an easy one to manage.

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 04:22:48 pm »
I like the map a lot.
The layout seems perfect to me, like an extended ctf_voland.

Offline Boxo

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 08:34:50 am »
I don't usually post here anymore because it doesn't seem to make a difference but gotta comment on this one... Best map I've seen in a while and I really like your style. The "flat/plain" criticism is not a minus but definitely positive as it makes the map "smoother" and movement easier. Layout and design are really good, there won't be spray and it generally looks like the gameplay will "flow" well.

The main problem with this is that it's way too big, just resizing it with polyworks to like 80% would make it better. Also it looks terrible, at least it definitely needs scenery and better (edit, "shading") low, and this is the main reason why most people wouldn't want to play on it. KC also right about the floating boulders, they're the only badly shaped surfaces, spawning on them will be really annoying. The death-pit is unnecessary and there will be problems with flags falling into it.

Generally the map is half-assed but the basic idea is really good, if you're willing to spend more than 30 minutes on it and fix the biggest problems at least I think it will be great.

Yeah, anyway, keep mapping please :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 08:38:41 am by Boxo »

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 10:39:17 am »
... The "flat/plain" criticism is not a minus but definitely positive as it makes the map "smoother" and movement easier.
Well, if that's the case, I myself would at least prefer more colliders riddled across the map. I dunno... it just seems really bare to me! More scenery will probably do the trick, but this atmosphere will not want vegetation whatsoever. And that's my kind of environment :D

Offline Why

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 08:37:51 pm »
Put up on !Bizarre {CTF}
^Why^ified

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 08:45:16 pm »
that. is. soooo. sexy.

the only minus I can think of is the symmetry. i dont like perfectly symmmmmmetrical maps.

Edit: You just got an applaud for this map.

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 12:27:35 am »
I could easily see this becoming a default, very nice look, and not too complicated with nice colors and what seems like a good layout. Nice Job!

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 12:29:19 am »
4 scenery really isn't enough... I mean, I know you want to preserve the looks but it would really be nice to hide behind somehting every once in a while.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 12:22:48 pm »
Actually, four sceneries is enough, since there's a bug in maps, that when there's no sceneries, it does something weird. The only way to fix this is to put in 3-4 or more sceneries for it to work online. Nice thinking there. ;)

Offline j4n0

• Major(1)
  • lolwut
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »
Thanks for comments and constructive criticism. ;) Sorry that I wasn't responding, but I was quite busy last few days (school).

After reading your posts I have some ideas...

Maybe I'll post a pic, propably it would explain most things. ;P

click

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 10:08:42 pm »
I like them all except for the 'platform for flagcamping'