Author Topic: Soldat - What went wrong?  (Read 9913 times)

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
Soldat - What went wrong?
« on: April 13, 2007, 07:19:31 am »
Hey you guys.

I was playing the other day, and I came across a realistic CTF server, FF enabled. I didn't know it was, and upon storming the front with 2 other players I start shooting towards the enemy, when my one mate flies straight in my line of fire and get's himself killed. After that he goes completely mental, and he starts flaming me, as you know some players do.
Then he attempts to votekick me calling me a tk'er, and he tries to get the other players to hate me as well. However with no result, I was slightly damaged by the fact that no one in soldat gives a damn about anything. I thought to myself, "what is the matter with these guys? Why don't they support a fellow gamer?" I left shortly after..

Now I've been thinking, as a matter of fact there's a whole lot wrong with soldat. Not necessarily with the game itself, but with the people playing it. For one thing,
how can it be that hackers are allowed to stay in a game until they choose to leave themselfs? there used to be a time when everyone would votekick a guy the second they found out he was hacking, but now people don't really care. Is it because there are so many of them anyway?!

Another thing, why don't people support eachother? The game is so much more fun if you go about it as a team, and I don't just mean to gain tactical advantages. I also mean like talking ingame, and helping eachother out if someone's flaming one another. Well, they don't, they just go about with their own business, acting as if nothing has happened.

And this forum? I know there's a server with sforums.com's name on it, and I know I choose to 'isolate' myself when I only play realistic, but still.. Shouldn't there be some feature on this page for people arrange battles in? I also know there's that CW section, but it's not really effective towards I-wanna-fight-you-right-now kinds of battles.

I may be way off on these things, but it just seems to me that there's some basic stuff that isn't right within the soldat community. What do you guys think? What don't you like about soldat?
Please don't flame the very game, but instead focus on the social behavior and such. Also, we all know one hacker's one too many, so also don't yell out about there being too many of those.

Speak your mind..
ec-ec-ech-echo
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
Re: Soldat - What went wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 07:40:40 am »
Completely agree.. bak in the good old days. There was no such thing a a noob. Everyone was fair, kind and excellent players. Also, back then, there weren't many games as unique as soldat apart from liero so people focused on playing soldat and thats how they got good. Nowadays, people have the distraction of other games (WOW, cs.. etc) so they only spend a fraction of their time playing soldat.

Which is why there aren't as many good soldatters today than back then.

I miss the old soldat life :'(
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 07:53:52 am »
Agree'd.

I experience this a lot, it's the reason why I quit R/S gaming. It sucked because of such noobs.

I would always back up a player being flamed for no acceptable reason at all.
I am a team player, I miss it in Soldat,too. But I think, it'll never be back again...

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 07:56:32 am »
I'm not sure if everyone were excellent players back then, but everyone was accepted for who they were on the field. There wasn't this hostility towards lesser skilled players as there is today, and could easely play for fun all the time without anyone flippin about it. Today there's alot of serious players around, and if you don't perform really good on the field, you'll get yelled at and flamed. That's a shame, I think. Even though I'm not a bad player, and these flames at most times aren't meant at me, I still think it's really bad karma, you know? the atmosphere in a server is ruined by that.

Ofcourse it's not all bad. there are many cool servers out there, and even more cool players. but it's always a random few that ruins it for the rest of them, if you know what I mean.

Oh, and Sytrus. Don't say it'll never be back again, not so soon anyway. If something is able to change from one thing to another, there's always a chance it might change back again.

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 08:07:49 am »
Yeah, not everyone was good back then, but by comparing an average player back then to an average player today, you would notice a big difference in skill level and maturity.

This is the main reason I avoid pubs. But every now and then, I would join a pub just to have a laugh and there would be pubs packed full of cool players. We always have the closest games and just win by a tip. This is very rare though.

Most of the time now, there would always be at least one player going around spraying, camping and spamming and call everyone a (insert weapon name here)-tard, haxxor, or noob.

Back then, you would join a server and practically know every player in there... stuff's changed a lot.
[/url]

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 08:09:58 am »
im agree in realistic all the tI'me appears one guy on your fire line and if you tk and say sorry vote to kick!
the same with the dedicated servers of that '' possible cheating '' i saw, they commit injustices  with the others only to be happy and fun.

Offline JohnCena

• Soldier
  • Down since day one!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 09:47:37 am »
Yes i agrre to some people really dont understand the basicisy of team play anyway shoouldnt soldat be fun idk whats so cool with hacking you get practicly no skill other people thinks ur a noob so hacking is stupid and what i dislike by soldat hackers ofcourse and people that cant go on if u kill them they say ur a hacker next the want to kick u and so on there is really something wrong
You want some come get some!

Offline ^_^

• Soldier
  • AKA Charlotte :-D
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 11:28:07 am »
I agree and concur. People these days seem to care less about fair and mature play. Hackers seem to never get voted off anymore, and I always do my part to get them off, but to no end. You rarely find someone in game who has respect for others. It used to be "Good game, guys." and now it's "AHAHA you noobs got creamed, losers."

Where da love at, Soldat? :(
In-Game names: Charlotte, Gin Fox, Agent Sonnata.
Current Mod Project: The Dark Lament.

Offline [Gunstar]

• Major(1)
  • Local Gunslinger
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 12:29:17 pm »
Seek and you will find or however it goes...there are plenty of good of good among the bad, perhaps it's just the bad receive more attention and are louder than the good, who just want to get down with playing the game instead of throwing meaningless insults. This game works as a stress reliever and in that way some find it more relaxing to swear or vote kick for no reason, bullying and being a loudmouth make them feel better, they don't care about how other people feel it's all me me me.

I've spent a long time in the public servers being clan less and all and I've met plenty of good gamers out there who will always say "GJ team!" or "nice shot!" even to people who just shout and whine all the time. Not all of them belong to clans either.

It's borderline impossible to create a game that everyone will be peaceful, kind and serene to each other in, especially if the theme is shooting, maiming and killing with lots of blood and no swear filters. Just my two penny's.
"How do you like them apples???"
Paradoxically I'd make War for Peace
The statement below is true
The statement above is false

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 12:53:44 pm »
One word: popularity. Back in the day soldat was a little known game that a few hundred people played and because of that "small" community there was more of the pure gaming experience. The more popular a game becomes of course the more idiots  come in but also the more distant gamers become. Which caused this community to divide into its little groups. To get away from the annoying kids, as well as to simply make a connection with people like themselves.  Also the fact that its free gives more reason for kids to be little pricks, if they get banned then they don't loose any money.(Of course plenty of servers adds to this as well) 

Take another game I play for example: Ultima Online. I played it back when I was 12, people were very nice to each other because the community was small. Heck a little bit before I started playing if you killed a female character it would be considered taboo. The larger the community grew the more distance people became and the common courtesy we gave one another was now all but gone. I moved to the free version of UO. Only to be greeted with people that will step on anyone to get a little gold or some ranking in the pvp scene.

How do we solve this? Simple, keep acting like you did when you first played.  Be kind to everyone that you can stomach. Say "Hi everyone" when you join a server. Bridge the gap that was placed by other players. Also encourage people to join the forums, that way people can really see what their fellow players are all about.
@ii

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 02:02:43 pm »
Soldat Expanded etc... everyone misses the "good old days" but theres no reason to be grumpy old men about it :P
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Noldi

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »
You're going to meet all kind of people over the internet. Sometimes they are people you don't like and sometimes they're you're friends. This guy was a total ass. This has happened to me before too.

Offline chainsoar

• Major(1)
  • It's a camping chair. Get it? Hmm..tough crowd.
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 02:27:02 pm »
I always try to be nice to people as much as I can and although I agree with a lot of  what's been said - and although I can't judge the current soldat community against that of the "good old days" as I've only been playing a couple of years - I have to say that personally I think it's still a fairly cool community for the most part. Usually when I go into my favourite servers I see at least one familiar player that I know, and I get on well with a lot of them.

I agree with the comment about continuing to behave the way you always have done, even if everyone else is being an idiot. That's what I do, and it's held me in good stead the whole time I've played this game.

Besides, 90% of loudmouths are no good at the game so you can spend the whole match repeatedly blowing their head off. :P

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 02:50:32 pm »
a whole lot of douches play this game, a whole lot of them left during 1.3 because of the crap balance, maybe we should have some kind of fake update to 1.4 that we don't really talk about at all here that completely nerfs everything and totally sucks so we could have like a Major Genocide (pun intended) that would be awesome!

... i wonder if douche is filtered?... according to the preview button douche isn't filtered!
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 03:34:29 pm »
some cultures are just erm.. stupid.. Not calling any country  ::)
But we all know some people are highly frustrated and are terribly arrogant.

but wtf does it matter if someone calls you a tk'er... maybe 1 or 2 other people will vote yes, not everyone is that stupid to call you a tk'er.

Just feel free to use /mute a command used far too less. and RELAX, just don't care if someone calls you a noob or whatever. If you do mind, it might be even your own problem..
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 03:53:25 pm »
The only reason I still play Soldat in for the community. It's also one of the biggest reasons I play R/S. I actually suck balls, but I keep coming back to get my ass kicked because I like to play with the people who can pound me.

I always seem to have more better games than worse games. Today, I was play in D:S R/S server, and some kid with a minigun came in a started shooting my team. We killed him and votekicked him in under like 30 seconds.

I don't know what crappy servers you guys are playing in where you get this horrible impression of R/S. In between rounds you get to chat to the palyers and get to know them.

right now I am having the exact opposite experience echotrail is having. I am having more fun playing this game than I ever have.

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 03:56:59 pm »
I experienced 80% of the R/S community as

"OMFG Kick capper!"
"PWNED U NUBLET"
"n00b!"

idiots.
It's just what I went through in R/S, so I quit and now I only play on Leo's servers and eC Trenchwars, sometimes I like some zombie on !Elite Zombie but that's it.

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 04:04:03 pm »
I'm going to blame Game Informer. They put Soldat as #1 on their list "Top 10 Games You've Never Heard Of", even though I had heard of about 7 of them. The best thing from that was that I found out about Street Bike Fury.
Anyway, I guess people just started flocking to Soldat. And not necessarily the polite people, the semi-literate 12-year-olds.
So basically, with the influx of new, somewhat annoying players, things just got bad.
Okay, so maybe it isn't the problem.
All I know is I usually end up saying "chill" to somebody in every game I play. That, and poking holes in their logic.

BTW, I spray to get the campers. As long as somebody's camping or using a Barrett, I'll spray. ;Q I'm not going to be a free kill.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 05:38:04 pm »
I experienced 80% of the R/S community as

"OMFG Kick capper!"
"PWNED U NUBLET"
"n00b!"

idiots.
It's just what I went through in R/S, so I quit and now I only play on Leo's servers and eC Trenchwars, sometimes I like some zombie on !Elite Zombie but that's it.

Yeah... I haven't seen a real bitchy person in like a month. That person a month ago was being purposefully racist, trying to ruin the game... But really, I don't see how you got so unlucky to have played in such crappy servers. It's too bad, R/S is one of the more fun game types.

Offline sneakyg

• Major
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 05:44:59 pm »
Shouldn't there be some feature on this page for people arrange battles in? I also know there's that CW section, but it's not really effective towards I-wanna-fight-you-right-now kinds of battles

Sounds as if you'd like the IRC community - #soldat.realistic would be a good start

Offline LeetFidle

• Camper
  • Poop!
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 06:40:32 pm »
I am so sick of people who say, OMG you yous ruger? you suck your such a noob.
or when i pwn them they get all mad and think im hacking.

whenever i hear someone say noob i warn them and then i kick em. just how i play.
Holy Poop!

Offline ultraman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 07:04:52 pm »
Yeah, I'd encourage all of you to get on IRC and start hanging out with the real Soldat community. Gathers and clanwars are the best way to escape the random idiots you find in public servers.
#soldat.gather if you're Euro.
#sna.gather if you're a yank.

kgo!

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 07:11:53 pm »
Irc community is great but the general community is still gonna suck unless people are actively being nice in the servers. Isolating yourself does not help the community.
@ii

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 08:31:32 pm »
i didn't feel like reading it all because i already know how u feel - i just wanted to say join privates and earn a reputation.  Then you'll be set with noobs like that - in fact, there prolly won't be these kinds of noobs since it's private.  Anyways sry if this has been mentioned...
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline SDFilm

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 09:32:17 am »
Aye, it could just be a problem with publics. Only yesterday I was playing on a pub server against the usual public crowd, then someone fairly decent joined, so I thought- 'ah, here's a better challenge..'. But soon he started calling everyone who used the M79 a noob, I didn't think too much of it because the M79 is pretty annoying, but shortly later he started calling me an asshole and a noob just because I knifed him and generally beating him, even though I was a fellow auto user.  ::)

It's times like that that make me think- "maybe I should start going to Gathers again....". Then I remember why I go to publics- It feels pretty demeaning to have to try and get a + on my name, like I have to prove myself; and slaying public players is good for relaxation. Having said that, maybe I should go and get a + on my name so that I can get a better challenge in Soldat instead of continuing this pointless one-man boycott.

To those of you who play in gathers regularly - is there really alot more sportsmanship and less whineing in gathers?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 09:35:10 am by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 09:56:36 am »
Ok look, probably the only reason our public servers are filled with noobs is because of the Gathers, private servers, etc.

Right, so one day the public servers were fun, where you rarely got flamed or vote-kicked for 'hacking'.

Then some guy, bless his heart, decided to spawn the Gather just as a kind gesture to the community. Clearly it was and still is a hit. But guess what, you have all the pros (the people who can type and read and control themselves) leaving public servers for these Gathers and other private servers.

Since you require some sort of brainpower to get into a Gather, that leaves all the illegible little kids toiling around our public servers.

The ratio of unintelligent to somewhat civilized people in pubs was probably something close to 3:2. Now it may just be 6:1 - because our private gatherings have robbed the smarter fellows.

If you get what I'm saying here

Quote from: †
Isolating yourself does not help the community.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline [Gunstar]

• Major(1)
  • Local Gunslinger
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 11:05:36 am »
Since you require some sort of brainpower to get into a Gather, that leaves all the illegible little kids toiling around our public servers.
I'm sorry but that is a rather narrow minded attitude, don't drop everyone in the same pot. It's biased and insulting. Why should everyone who joins a Gather be considered smart or pro? You could easily join and still be the same idiot/ass wipe/fool you've always been...It's not a guarantee. Yes, I'm not in a clan, I don't join Gathers and I "toil" around the public servers, does that mean I have no skill, no brains and no manners?
"How do you like them apples???"
Paradoxically I'd make War for Peace
The statement below is true
The statement above is false

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 11:42:04 am »
Never the less, he does have a point. The better players all go elsewhere, and that is a problem if you ask me. I almost always play in public server, but that's more because I like the freshness of it. Playing in private servers for some time is just way too boring. Besides, who dislikes a good slaughter? :)

Maybe the "pro's" should start checking out publics again, just to have an attempt at changing the low standart that exists.

Offline Dolfo

• Major
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 06:03:37 pm »
I fully support this. This game was good when it was less popular because only good and nice players played.

Dolfo*
Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 12:50:16 am »
Agreed. However, we cannot dwell in what has happened. Yes, the popularity factor has been slightly damaging, even if it also had alot of positive effects. Fresh blood and such. The question still remains, though; How do we solve this thing? I know it seems way too massive a problem for any one of us to fix, and it probably is. But if we all work on it, then we might just have a chance.

Then again, this forum usually have no idea, what so ever, of what it means to stand united :/ Yet, at rare and certainly outstanding times, we have just been able to do exactly that. Whenever somebody's had a terrible personal thing, opening their heart and all, we usually back'em up and try to support. Why shouldn't we do so with soldat as well?

It's not about preaching whenever you join a server, or only play in publics from now on. It's about changing your attitude, and make a fine example for the newcomers that'll only learn from the guys better than them. Don't you see?

ec-ec-ech-echo

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 08:56:35 am »
How would this work if Soldat implemented:

A Report IP/User System
Universal GMs

---

Yes, I know a LOT of people would abuse the report system, it happens in other games as well. But I'm sure there are ways we can work around this. What about 1 report every 36 hours.

Also GMs who have limited admin capabilities in every server. By limited, I mean they can only kick or ban players. GMs will be needing nothing else.

I also realize that there will be abusive GMs. But with some thorough planning and thinking maybe these could be a possibility.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 09:05:48 am »
I love pubs because of the heightened sense of überness they give me. It's a compliment if someone votes me for hacking (happened in u13 TM yesterday) because then I know that I rock so much that they think I'm cheating. If the vote succedes (sp?), then I go find another server, no harm done.

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 09:08:40 am »
I love pubs because of the heightened sense of überness they give me. It's a compliment if someone votes me for hacking (happened in u13 TM yesterday) because then I know that I rock so much that they think I'm cheating. If the vote succedes (sp?), then I go find another server, no harm done.

True, it feels good when someone tries to kick you for hacking. You realise just how good you are.
[/url]

Offline decoy.

• Soldier
  • All in the mind.
    • Paradigis
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 10:36:49 am »
I agree with you on those points. There is alot wrong with some of those in the community of soldat that make the game for me less enjoyable. Of course I am aware that I am in no way as good a player as others here are, even on occasions when my frame rate is steady. I even have no problem being bested by one or more people grouped or simotaniously. Personally I enjoy the challenge of the better player. However, when things become too out of hand and things appear to get one sided with any one who would help showing no resolve, then that is when soldat in the moment becomes something I could care less to play.

Like for instance when its a team equalibrium situation in regards to how many versus how many, unless I am feelin up to the challenge, for the most, I would request that the team that I'm on, short a few by their numbers, be evened out with the opposing team. Basically always when my opponents team is either short of people or have numerous players AFK, I volunteer to switch, half the time without mention. Yet I find myself spotlighted and taken advantage of when I request it for my team when the imbalance of numbers is drastically overwelming for my teams numbers as well as skill. This provoaks me to simply up and leave a game that I was enjoying. If someone is camping or spawning, I have no problem with it, all I do is rectify the situation if I am capable by taking out the opposing camper. I'd also advised team mates to do not camp where they were for tactical reasons as well as reasons for their own safety regardless of the fact that they have barretts. I would go on but I already sound like I'm boosting my ego or something similar of a boastful nature.

Anyway when I fall upon situations where little care to take reason into a situation with me accused to be the suspect (playing the victim by being banned) it does get to me. I'm surprised that some do not take into thought that maybe if you popped up around the corner near an enemy and a shot was taken for the teammate to get hit, a team kill was going to happen. I know there have been a couple of those situations where I have been the culprit by circumstance (originally persuing an opponent) as well as startled once as an ally popps up from either a bush or is bleeding to resemble a red player (and I do get thrown off guard by bloody blue people). Then comes the accusation of purposely played betrayal. Accidential deaths are expected when a game has team kill avalable correct?

My point is there that too many are too quick to abandon reason and reasoning within the situation to resort to profanity before attempts to kick one another from the game. Few are supportive of their other players and...bah. It's all stressful attempting to have fun. -_-

Date Posted: April 16, 2007, 11:34:38 AM

True, it feels good when someone tries to kick you for hacking. You realise just how good you are.
I love those moments at times. But then I get bored and stroll about both bases unarmed for the fun of it, seeing how long it takes til an unarmed man with no nades can get killed. XD
[FF|LL|HE[Cide/Decoy/Not Batman!:
[[ 300.91m | sniping distance
[[ 85:0 | kill:death ratio
[[ us.socom | favorite weapon

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 12:06:54 pm »
Ey, Decoy. You set a fine example, no doubt. People, that's what I'm talking about..
be a respectfull player, it's not even that hard. And also you don't have to be an ass in order to have perfect fun with the game. I actually find it that acting respective enhances my level of enjoyment, so I really encourage you guys to act it out as well. I mean, c'mon peops. It's soldat and it's future we're talking about.

Thanks Decoy. That was a nice input.

How would this work if Soldat implemented:

A Report IP/User System
Universal GMs

---

Yes, I know a LOT of people would abuse the report system, it happens in other games as well. But I'm sure there are ways we can work around this. What about 1 report every 36 hours.

Also GMs who have limited admin capabilities in every server. By limited, I mean they can only kick or ban players. GMs will be needing nothing else.

I also realize that there will be abusive GMs. But with some thorough planning and thinking maybe these could be a possibility.
I like your idea, but I also think needs alot more time on the workbench. Like, who would we report to? And what would they do about it?
The problem is that we don't have a n all together soldat-players database. Some site you could go to, and you could find data and status pn every player. I know it's almost impossible to make such a thing, but it sure would be delightful.

As for now, the only thing you can do to keep your server perfect, is 'hire' a bunch of trustworthy admins, to render your server supervised as often as possible. A little similar to your idea about letting some people have admin acces to all servers, 'cept I think it would get out of hand fast. besides, who would choose them? It's easy enough with the realistic society, because we're all down and tight, but it's different with normal mode, since it's so much larger.

ec-ec-ech-echo

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2007, 01:35:12 pm »
Hi,

This is a long post
-> If you're quoting me, or just have intrest in it, please read the whole post :).

I've been in the community for quite a long time, somewhere before the secondaries were implemented in Soldat. I can tell you for sure that the problem explained in this topic exists for all the time I've been here yet. And during that time it didn't grow strong or died down, it's still the same as a few years back, so there's no reason for panicking.
The amount of 'noobs' (in the bad meaning of the word, not the "newbie" meaning) is also still the same as it was before. Even more spectacular, the term "<weapon>-tard" has died down alot lately, I can tell that forsure.

There are a few reasons that create the "Soldat-Community-Abandoning"-feeling.
One of them is the fact that, once you start integrating in the Soldat Community, you make alot of friends. That's simply because at first, the community seems so big you only choose a few people with which you "hang out". This can be by being in a clan or by launching projects for the Soldat Community, for example. After a while, those friends which you know very well, will leave Soldat and lose contact with you. This usually happens after a year or so. At this very moment, you'll feel as if the Soldat Community is falling apart. In fact, there are more new devoted players every day than there are people leaving the Community.
Another reason would be the enormeous growth of the Soldat Community, as † already explained. Since there are alot more players in the Community than ever before, it gets harder to grow a good friendship with particular members of the Community. I can can easily illustrate this with the diffrence between a big city and a village. In a village you won't necessarily know more or less people than in a city (that depends on personality preferences), but you will know the people in a village alot better than those in the city, no doubt about that. If that village starts growing to a city, you'll get the feeling that you're growing old and that youth is taking over society and all. That's exactly the same feeling as this topic is all about.
And a third reason I can come up with at this moment is that some players with this feeling will start isolating themselves in secret servers, websites and so on. This way you'll get the 'village-feeling' back again, but you'll also take it away from those you did not include in the secret server, website, ... (=village).

Also, the 'real community' isn't positioned inside a signle IRC channel, website, soldat server or anything. The 'real' community doesn't even exist. The Soldat Community is everything regarding Soldat combined (The websites, the servers, the forums, the IRC channels, the clans, ...) nothing less and nothing more than that. Take one part away and you're not talking about the Soldat Community anymore.

Those are just some simple reasons I can come up with at this moment.
I usually don't post in topics like these, since they're pretty much about the experience one has in life and I think it's better to get the experience by yourself instead of someone chewing it for you.

Grtz, DePhille
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 01:37:59 pm by DePhille »
This signature was broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2007, 03:16:07 pm »
...once you start integrating in the Soldat Community, you make alot of friends... After a while, those friends which you know very well, will leave Soldat and lose contact with you. This usually happens after a year or so. At this very moment, you'll feel as if the Soldat Community is falling apart.

So true.  I've been a part of the community for several years now and it feels like the Soldat Community has drifted away with all the great people we used to know.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 03:32:21 pm »
Vijcht I get that feeling to sometimes, but I have learned to just make new friends over the years. Not in just soldat mind you, other games and in real life.

Also let me just add one way of showing some support to your fellow player is to tell them "good work" if they did something to help out your team. I used to do this on occasion after a cap in ctf a while ago. Now I am starting to do it alot more and it does help you get into the game. Course anything is better then trying to argue stupid mistakes someone made.
@ii

Offline pero

• Major
  • [SaD] #fragbait
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 04:12:34 pm »
The only reason (except some soldat friends that stopped playing) i miss the "good ol days" (not as a hardcore veteran as some of people, but 2,5 years or so) because back then i had a lot of idols in soldat, people i looked up to :). Some of them still better than me , some stopped playing , some i surpassed :D. But i can compete with all of them , and that sometimes gives me a bad feeling :). So actually i miss the days when i was getting introduced to the irc community and stuff , because i was lost in all that flood of clans and channels ^^.

enough of my rant  ::)

Offline Chakra

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 06:11:01 pm »
The problem my friend is too many servers dividing everyone.

Why were the 'good old days' so good? less servers. People identified with certain servers, frequented them with others, and enjoyed playing with others they played with and talked to often. When a game involving teamwork becomes impersonal, it loses that touch of spice.

Passworded servers are a good answer, but simply don't work. Take the forum's server... if you make it public, it's flooded with unknowns fighting unknowns. Password it, and it's empty, and any sensible player will simply join the next random pub. Unlike U13 back in the day when it was just the one passworded server, almost always full. It was like the forum's server of it's time, before DNA.

Theres also the 'sub communities'... fractured and the frac servers, soldat gather, Leo's real mode, the R/S community...they benefit from smaller communities, less option, their niché in Soldat frequently populated with familiar names and enjoyable gaming.

Your fix for this? just don't pub randomly. It's not easy with so many options and little way to identify with servers, or finding the various sub communities frequenting the same places. These forums unfortunately suffer from no fixed communal playing area though, which is a bit of a shame...
MM; seriously Chakra, stop the fisting
Yes, I'm still alive.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 06:21:41 pm »
By going into EC Dodge ball, I have developed a sort of bond with the frequenters there.

Try this with your fav serv.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2007, 06:28:43 pm »
Passworded servers are a good answer, but simply don't work. Take the forum's server... if you make it public, it's flooded with unknowns fighting unknowns. Password it, and it's empty, and any sensible player will simply join the next random pub.

These forums unfortunately suffer from no fixed communal playing area though, which is a bit of a shame...

Why do you expect it to flurrish instantly? It takes time for a community to get used to something new as with anything.

Advertise it more frequently and clearly, and arrange times for matches so that we all know when everyone is going to be on.

Arsing about it isn't going to change anything.

Offline -Aaron-

• Major
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2007, 11:11:31 pm »
Yeah, some people get annoying, and they don't really think, And people that do random vote kicks or vote kicks for nothing even worth being kicked for, I hate that, I've been banned from some of my favorite servers for not doing anything. 1 server I never even really talked in so I wouldn't get kicked for something stupid, But I still got kick and banned. Some people don't realize when you kick some one, there most likely going to be banned from that server for good.
Quote from: LeetFidle
WTF are you talking bout?! ww2 is fiction feckergot.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 11:16:25 pm »
Some people don't realize when you kick some one, there most likely going to be banned from that server for good.
eeh? most servers I play in are 24 hr bans.

Offline -Aaron-

• Major
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2007, 11:23:50 pm »
Well something is wrong then, all the severs I get kicked from I can't get in even after a week it still says I'm banned.
Quote from: LeetFidle
WTF are you talking bout?! ww2 is fiction feckergot.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2007, 11:27:56 pm »
Well something is wrong then, all the severs I get kicked from I can't get in even after a week it still says I'm banned.
what servers are you in? u13 and enesce servers only have 24 hours.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2007, 12:23:18 am »
@Vijtch and Chakra.. The problem isn't that I'm losing my personal interrest in the game(Actually I'm not). You're suggesting that I change my gameplay, and, fx., start visiting the same circle of servers, instead of jumping between various ones. I can make sence out of that, but that's not really the issue.
People are, and they're behaviour. I get what you're saying, Vijtch, about old mates no longer being around, and not really achieving that personal touch. I think there's definitely soething to that, but it's hardly all of it. People HAVE changed, and as such has the general behavior. There's no longer any sence of teamwork, not only tactical, but also.. spiritual, if you will. People are completely single minded, and care only for their own game. Little do they realise the fun they're missing out on.

@PANZER, I think he was merely statuing an example. If anyone, Chakra` know how long this community takes to act on anything..

Offline Outcast

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • Semi-retired antagonist
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2007, 01:22:20 am »
There's 2 reasons why it was a lot better in the old days :
- There weren't so many people or servers so you were more likely to meet someone you liked.
- There was no gather so all clanners went to their favourite publics for casual games. Now almost everyone plays gathers.

Which leaves noobs, idiots and a very rare nice & good players on publics.
o/

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2007, 03:24:21 am »
Which leaves noobs, idiots and a very rare nice & good players on publics.

Which is why you shouldn't join pubs as often.
[/url]

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2007, 06:06:32 am »
Well, only if you're either one of the two mentioned at first. Nice people on the publics is in fact exactly what we need. Remember, many of those 'idiots' only act like that because everyone else does as well, so´changing the general attitude would have a huge impact on the society. Or so I think, at least.

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2007, 07:23:08 am »
echo_trail, I'll give you my straight up opinion.  The problem is what Chakra said,  it's the fact that there are so many servers now.  I, too can remember long ago when people were as described, "friendly".  The fact of the matter is that Soldat is getting bigger, this isn't a small unknown game anymore.  The bigger it gets the more unpleasant players come, but you have to look inside of that and find the good players.

It's like saying "what's wrong with Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike Source?".  The Counter-Strike games are huge commercial games and because of their popularity, hackers, whiners, teamkillers, and every other form of unpleasant players flood the hundreds upon hundreds (if not more) servers that follow in the wake of the game's popularity.

While I just compared Soldat to Counter-Strike I know that Soldat is by far a smaller game than Counter-Strike, it's just that the bigger the game gets more people will naturally want to try it.  Some of them may like the game and choose to keep playing it.  With all of those people some of them are bound to be hackers, laggers, whiners and twats.
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2007, 12:56:27 pm »
Yeah, Seth, I know. But in the old days the 'nice guy/jerk ratio' was maybe 1/4(I have no idea how accurate this is, but that's not the point anyway). As soldat has gotten bigger, those stats have definitely changed, That's what I don't get. They should've stayed the same, even if more people came.
More morons - sure, but more friendly people as well.

How come this is not so?

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2007, 01:02:51 pm »
I mainly agree totally that we can change the community in some servers by just being the way we shold be, and we have always been. Nice and kindly.
So the jerks may think it's actually better to be nice if they see the good players having fun while being nice to each other.

This is the only thing I can think of, so lets raid Soldat with a bundle of LOVE!

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2007, 01:05:50 pm »
Stop talking about it guys. Go! Be friendly!
@ii

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2007, 01:07:01 pm »
The ratio didn't change, if it was 1/4, it still is 1/4.
The change you're talking about is from "1/4 to 2/8" (math illiterates: they're both the same ;)). This is due to the number of players in Soldat, as generally accepted cause. Anyway, the change from 1/4 to 2/8 does mean that there used to be 3 'noobs' (negative meaning of the word) and one 'decent' player while that has changed to 2 'decent' players and 6 'noobs' in a random server.

Grtz, DePhille

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2007, 01:28:35 pm »
Oh C'mon DePhille ::).. You know what I mean, mate. I meant ofcourse that the ratio has now gone in favor of the negative, as from ratio 1/4 to maybe 1/8.

Offline Napalmi

• Camper
  • Oh man I shot marvin in the face!
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2007, 01:50:20 pm »
sigh. i also miss the old times. Back then the first person joining in my server started talking and chatting among shooting. I even got his msn and now were internet-friends. and thats a long time ago. Too long, in fact.

Balls Removed. Check Forum Rules <---thats why u need to obey.

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2007, 01:51:05 pm »
Yeah I know, but that's not what I meant.
I tried to illustrate that there are two possible views on this.
1) Using the ratio.
2) Using the diffrence between 'noobs' (neg. meaning) and 'decent' players.

People feel the second but think the first. You'll feel worse if you play in a server with 8 players (2 of which 'decent' players and 6 of which 'noobs', the "2/8-ratio") than if you'd play on a server with 4 players (1 being 'decent' and 3 being 'noobs', the "1/4-ratio"). Though they're mathematically speaken the same, they feel diffrent.
I hope I succeeded in rephrasing what I tried to tell, if not please let me know and I'll give it another shot.
Sorry.

Grtz, DePhille

Offline TigaHawk

• Major
  • AKA The Best
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2007, 01:51:46 pm »
<--- Hasn't played in public for about 4 months now... It's called IRC fools! get it!
¤ ´¨)
¸.·´¸.·¤´¨) ¸.·¤¨) ¸.·¤´¨) ¸.·¤¨) ¸.·¤´¨) ¸.·¤¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` (¸. TigaHawk

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2007, 02:00:23 pm »
Lots of people have the potential to support you. You just have to find them in a certain server. =\

And second of all, we had a hacker using the most obvious of all hacks--airman. He kept zooming around the levels while we tried vote-kicking him. He stayed in the game because the idiots didn't press f12. When finally ww convinced them to press it, he was voted to leave the game. Took about five minutes =\

Third, I once went to a server, then immediatedly got vote-kicked for no reason. I joined, saw the vote-box meant for me, and the next second, I saw black, then the text saying "You have been banned from this server." :|

Fourth: I'm late for school. =\

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2007, 12:39:45 am »
<--- Hasn't played in public for about 4 months now... It's called IRC fools! get it!

IRC lasts for a month and I can't be bothered paying (I'm also broke :'()
[/url]

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2007, 01:41:51 am »
Well, you don't have to. After a month it asks you to register in that box that comes up. The one where you usually click "continue", but that button is now not an option. Anyway, if you wait a few seconds it will pop right back for selection, and you can use mIRC without even paying.. Muahaha!

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2007, 08:25:30 am »
Omg! Why didn't peoplez tell me before! Ty echo! *applauds*
[/url]

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2007, 09:40:43 am »
So I tried playing in U13 again, after a lot of time spent in gathers. I realized a couple of things:
1) I really don't see much change in the people themselves since I stopped playing pubs, maybe a little less clan people playing, but there was usually 1 or 2.
2) 3v3 is really much more fun than 6v6
3) One shot kills are fine in 3v3s, but when 5/6 people on the other team are using them, they're annoying  :-X
4) I hate teamstackers with a burning passion

As a sidenote: note that mIRC =/= IRC, and that there are a multitude of other, free IRC clients available.
Everyone calling mIRC IRC gets on your nerves after you realize IRC is a protocol and mIRC is a program. :V
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline Elstumpo

• Major(1)
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2007, 05:49:10 am »
I recently joined this game about 3 weeks ago. So far, enjoyable fun. People will be nice and everyone is happy. However I join another server, I kill everyone. For no reason, the game boots me out of the server. When I try to re-join, banned. There are too many hackers and too many idiots on Soldat. I'll still play this enjoyable game, ofcourse, but it bothers me.

But what are ya going to do? There are idiots, and skilless idiots too. Take any popular online game. WoW, RuneScape, Counter Strike, Battle Field, there are just these idiots who come out of nowhere.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2007, 11:36:38 am »
I also know there's that CW section, but it's not really effective towards I-wanna-fight-you-right-now kinds of battles.

pretty much no forum is right for "omg lets do this right now!" behavior since forums are an asynchronous medium (like e-mail).  If you want to fight someone, go on IRC.

Offline Flacid Assassin

• Camper
  • Gorby The Grunt
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2007, 06:40:14 am »
Hey you guys.

I was playing the other day, and I came across a realistic CTF server, FF enabled. I didn't know it was, and upon storming the front with 2 other players I start shooting towards the enemy, when my one mate flies straight in my line of fire and get's himself killed. After that he goes completely mental, and he starts flaming me, as you know some players do.
Then he attempts to votekick me calling me a tk'er, and he tries to get the other players to hate me as well. However with no result, I was slightly damaged by the fact that no one in soldat gives a damn about anything. I thought to myself, "what is the matter with these guys? Why don't they support a fellow gamer?" I left shortly after..

Now I've been thinking, as a matter of fact there's a whole lot wrong with soldat. Not necessarily with the game itself, but with the people playing it. For one thing,
how can it be that hackers are allowed to stay in a game until they choose to leave themselfs? there used to be a time when everyone would votekick a guy the second they found out he was hacking, but now people don't really care. Is it because there are so many of them anyway?!

Another thing, why don't people support eachother? The game is so much more fun if you go about it as a team, and I don't just mean to gain tactical advantages. I also mean like talking ingame, and helping eachother out if someone's flaming one another. Well, they don't, they just go about with their own business, acting as if nothing has happened.

And this forum? I know there's a server with sforums.com's name on it, and I know I choose to 'isolate' myself when I only play realistic, but still.. Shouldn't there be some feature on this page for people arrange battles in? I also know there's that CW section, but it's not really effective towards I-wanna-fight-you-right-now kinds of battles.

I may be way off on these things, but it just seems to me that there's some basic stuff that isn't right within the soldat community. What do you guys think? What don't you like about soldat?
Please don't flame the very game, but instead focus on the social behavior and such. Also, we all know one hacker's one too many, so also don't yell out about there being too many of those.

Speak your mind..
ec-ec-ech-echo

well me and a mate have acctualy come up with an answer for this... not sure how u all will take it..
but me and some friends are going to code up a program or script that will do what ur talking about... with the lets-fight-right now like u will put in your info of what u want to fight such as experience weapons maps and wat not.kinda similar to the halo2 xbl matchmaking, but not so complicated

u just gotta log into website with ur account and click ready or w.e and when someone comes in with the eaxact info will send u either server info or straight to ingame not sure yet

Offline Lance Corporal

• Major
  • EAT PLASMA
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2007, 12:21:20 pm »
the only think i hate about soldat nowadays is every day i'll run into some arrogant and annoying bastard who cant stand me (for apparently no reason other then my wooping his ass)

like yesterday i was on averax's hexer server and this little bastard named viceroy was shouting out at every person he killed pointing out minor flaws like they were crimes against humanity, finally, i just blast the shit out of him with my barrett and socom (actually a lot more with the latter). fortunately for the other guys he ripped on, he laid off and said nothing, unfortunately for me, i took all of his bullshit.

so i put up with it for a long ass time, figureing "hey, eventually he will realize he's not all that, it takes 3 rounds of me slaughtering him for him to kill me once. if not, maybe someone else on the server will tell him to shut up or back me up or something."

an hour later i have a headache and i just say "fuck this" and i leave and go to sleep (which takes awhile because quite literally the bastard gave me a headache)
Fate is one's way of being a pansy and not being able to take the blame for their own actions, or making excuses not to make the effort to better themselves.

Offline Wormdundee

• Soldier
  • Ruger what?
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2007, 01:30:56 pm »
One of  the worst things I've noticed in tons of servers is that people will refuse to switch teams even if they are grossly imbalanced. For one example, in eC Trenchwars I noticed that the teams were at 5 and 3, so I did the old "Teams" thing so that someone from the other team would switch over to mine to even it out.

Noone switched, for ten minutes it was stuck at 5 on 3, with me asking every now and then for someone to switch. Finally one guy on the other team spoke up and said something along the lines of why should he switch since the teams had been uneven the other way before and I hadn't switched over.

This was true in a way. However, it was uneven when I first joined at 3 to 1 for my side because someone on the other team left just as I joined. I didn't notice right away and then maybe 30 seconds later 2 more people joined so it was fine. It's just so ridiculously annoying to have to play with uneven teams, it sucks all the fun out of the game. Usually I just have to leave because noone switches.

Offline Cappy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2007, 03:42:36 pm »
Yeah, usually when that happens the team they're in is winning so they don't like being on the losing side. :(

[DE] ~ ~ ~

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2007, 04:00:53 pm »
I have found that usually, there is only 1 or 2 idiots, but everyone either hates them or doesn't care. When they hate the guy, it turns into a game wheere all it is is half your team talking and it gets boring and I leave. Or no one cares and he gets more annoying, I say something to the effect of "Dude, settle down, its a pub" and I get flamed and kicked. Pretty much one bad apple spoils the bunch.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline Cappy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2007, 04:02:43 pm »
Also what I hate is when people say 'teams' only when THEIR team needs members and not when the opposing team is short on them. :(

[DE] ~ ~ ~

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2007, 12:36:44 am »
Reported, Canavi. Removed.

A simple fix would be to turn on the server's autobalance. I've seen it turned on on a couple of the servers I play on, and it works a treat. If you have the lowest score, you get swapped.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 05:17:27 pm by SpiltCoffee »
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2007, 01:57:39 am »
Let me get this straight.

*Hackers in r/s = will be voted off within 10 seconds
*Teamkillers say Sorry when they have accideltly killed someone.
*People talk in teamchat, not very much, but they do. Especially while CW/ Scrimming other clan.
--------------------------------
R/S is much different world than just normal.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2007, 06:41:40 am »
Most definitely, mate. That's also why I have no clue as to how come people like normal mode more.. They really should give realistic mode a shot.. Sad to say so, I am no longer active, but if realmode is anything like it used to be, it is a lovable act of virtual loonesy. But in a good way :)

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2007, 07:36:01 am »
I'm not sure if everyone were excellent players back then, but everyone was accepted for who they were on the field. There wasn't this hostility towards lesser skilled players as there is today, and could easely play for fun all the time without anyone flippin about it.

by reading this I find that you do not accept them for who they are. I am not sure about the world wide statics but in sweden youths are getting more and more depressed probobly because of their home life and family but also the school where people who feel uncomftubel start nagging on people to gain respect and get better selfconfidence. teachers in school searches from things that is wrong with their students instead of trying to find their strong parts or help those who are genious in some parts. their attitude are affected by their home lives and these who are really temperd in soldat probobly are bullied in school and so on. and because they cant stand up aiganst the evil in school and other places they do it on the internet.

Offline Xaero

• Soldier
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2007, 07:47:09 am »
I came back after a 6 month brake, and as I used to do.. I've joined a RS server. It wasn't fun anymore, now i just play Normal mode.

Bye, good old RS mode :'(

Offline Lone-Wolf

• Soldier
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2007, 09:50:55 am »
You can't expect people to be polite in a game where we try to blast each other's heads and balls off.
Young or old, they will sometimes flip and go insanely angry. Just calm them down some more by shooting their heads off again.
(make them leave the game) :)

The best you can do to make Soldat better is to own the particular individuals who keeps spouting "noob!hacker!" and make them leave the game. That, or help and make a match more balanced by shifting player strengths in soldat. Positive reinforcements to teammates are great too.

I love leading a weak team, losing in points for a comeback victory. And then I praise everyone of them.
Always try to make a game fair by joining the weak team.

It's common to go into a server where it's 6vs3 and the majority does not even care if it's fair. They just want a fake feeling of ownage. :(
A good example was this player called CLOWN. I was doing well in a 2vs2 knifematch and he joined in. He killed me a couple times when I was busy fighting other players, and said "You're full of shit lonewolf. You need more training." and he left.
Later he came back to the game, when it became a 5vs5 match. This time it was even.
I was the EFC, and was wasting every player who was coming to get me. Including him. He left the game after I knifed-jet-proned him beautifully high up the air, it was the 5th time killing him. I was about to ask if I needed more training. :)

Then there are hackers. Personally I don't mind them because they don't really annoy me.
They make the game more interesting. It's like godly beings suddenly popping out in a warfield.

Hackers are fine with me, especially the speedy types that has auto-aim. Why ? Because they are a great challenge to kill.
Sensing their godly movements, their favorite spots to speed-fly too, and aiming my barret at a split second before his auto-aim program targets me, it's fun.

Hackers can kill me all they want, but there's no value in that. Maybe just to fulfill a fake sadistic owning desire they cannot achieve by themselves.
But when I can kill hackers and put up a decent fight it really shows what I can do.
This one time I killed a speed hacker 5 times in a row, and he concluded that I was using a aim-hack as well and left the game.
I just laughed. That was a weak hacker though. The good ones can warp here and there at amazing speeds.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2007, 02:46:37 pm »
Spam by Canavi removed. User warned.
@ii

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2007, 09:23:06 pm »
@Lone wolf.. It was never that I tried to make people suddently act sugarsweet to eachother. I don't even want them to be very polite, I just ask of peops that they will stop being total jerk-off's to one another. It's in everybodys interrest really.

I'm not sure if everyone were excellent players back then, but everyone was accepted for who they were on the field. There wasn't this hostility towards lesser skilled players as there is today, and could easely play for fun all the time without anyone flippin about it.

by reading this I find that you do not accept them for who they are. I am not sure about the world wide statics but in sweden youths are getting more and more depressed probobly because of their home life and family but also the school where people who feel uncomftubel start nagging on people to gain respect and get better selfconfidence. teachers in school searches from things that is wrong with their students instead of trying to find their strong parts or help those who are genious in some parts. their attitude are affected by their home lives and these who are really temperd in soldat probobly are bullied in school and so on. and because they cant stand up aiganst the evil in school and other places they do it on the internet.

I fail to see how you link this to what I said... (?)

Offline The Bone Collector

• Veteran
  • I'm so sexy.
    • Daniel Rutter Films
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2007, 09:53:49 pm »
True.
I don't play Soldat much anymore, but back when I did...This hostility and such was just as bad. I admit, sometimes I just ignore the votekicks, but the way I see it...It's just someone who didn't like being killed, or didn't accept an appology when they were teamkilled.
And, your completely right about team playing. There is no team play! You have the odd match where everybody's playing as a team, and its fun. But 9 times out of 10, you have those who don't give a crap.
As a fellow above me said. Wheres da love? :(
Just another soul to burn.