Author Topic: Soldat - What went wrong?  (Read 9918 times)

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
Re: Soldat - What went wrong?
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2007, 06:21:41 pm »
By going into EC Dodge ball, I have developed a sort of bond with the frequenters there.

Try this with your fav serv.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline PANZERCATWAGON

• Camper
  • oh god: blowjobs
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2007, 06:28:43 pm »
Passworded servers are a good answer, but simply don't work. Take the forum's server... if you make it public, it's flooded with unknowns fighting unknowns. Password it, and it's empty, and any sensible player will simply join the next random pub.

These forums unfortunately suffer from no fixed communal playing area though, which is a bit of a shame...

Why do you expect it to flurrish instantly? It takes time for a community to get used to something new as with anything.

Advertise it more frequently and clearly, and arrange times for matches so that we all know when everyone is going to be on.

Arsing about it isn't going to change anything.

Offline -Aaron-

• Major
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2007, 11:11:31 pm »
Yeah, some people get annoying, and they don't really think, And people that do random vote kicks or vote kicks for nothing even worth being kicked for, I hate that, I've been banned from some of my favorite servers for not doing anything. 1 server I never even really talked in so I wouldn't get kicked for something stupid, But I still got kick and banned. Some people don't realize when you kick some one, there most likely going to be banned from that server for good.
Quote from: LeetFidle
WTF are you talking bout?! ww2 is fiction feckergot.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2007, 11:16:25 pm »
Some people don't realize when you kick some one, there most likely going to be banned from that server for good.
eeh? most servers I play in are 24 hr bans.

Offline -Aaron-

• Major
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2007, 11:23:50 pm »
Well something is wrong then, all the severs I get kicked from I can't get in even after a week it still says I'm banned.
Quote from: LeetFidle
WTF are you talking bout?! ww2 is fiction feckergot.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2007, 11:27:56 pm »
Well something is wrong then, all the severs I get kicked from I can't get in even after a week it still says I'm banned.
what servers are you in? u13 and enesce servers only have 24 hours.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2007, 12:23:18 am »
@Vijtch and Chakra.. The problem isn't that I'm losing my personal interrest in the game(Actually I'm not). You're suggesting that I change my gameplay, and, fx., start visiting the same circle of servers, instead of jumping between various ones. I can make sence out of that, but that's not really the issue.
People are, and they're behaviour. I get what you're saying, Vijtch, about old mates no longer being around, and not really achieving that personal touch. I think there's definitely soething to that, but it's hardly all of it. People HAVE changed, and as such has the general behavior. There's no longer any sence of teamwork, not only tactical, but also.. spiritual, if you will. People are completely single minded, and care only for their own game. Little do they realise the fun they're missing out on.

@PANZER, I think he was merely statuing an example. If anyone, Chakra` know how long this community takes to act on anything..
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Outcast

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • Semi-retired antagonist
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2007, 01:22:20 am »
There's 2 reasons why it was a lot better in the old days :
- There weren't so many people or servers so you were more likely to meet someone you liked.
- There was no gather so all clanners went to their favourite publics for casual games. Now almost everyone plays gathers.

Which leaves noobs, idiots and a very rare nice & good players on publics.
o/

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2007, 03:24:21 am »
Which leaves noobs, idiots and a very rare nice & good players on publics.

Which is why you shouldn't join pubs as often.
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2007, 06:06:32 am »
Well, only if you're either one of the two mentioned at first. Nice people on the publics is in fact exactly what we need. Remember, many of those 'idiots' only act like that because everyone else does as well, so´changing the general attitude would have a huge impact on the society. Or so I think, at least.

Offline Sethamundo

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2007, 07:23:08 am »
echo_trail, I'll give you my straight up opinion.  The problem is what Chakra said,  it's the fact that there are so many servers now.  I, too can remember long ago when people were as described, "friendly".  The fact of the matter is that Soldat is getting bigger, this isn't a small unknown game anymore.  The bigger it gets the more unpleasant players come, but you have to look inside of that and find the good players.

It's like saying "what's wrong with Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike Source?".  The Counter-Strike games are huge commercial games and because of their popularity, hackers, whiners, teamkillers, and every other form of unpleasant players flood the hundreds upon hundreds (if not more) servers that follow in the wake of the game's popularity.

While I just compared Soldat to Counter-Strike I know that Soldat is by far a smaller game than Counter-Strike, it's just that the bigger the game gets more people will naturally want to try it.  Some of them may like the game and choose to keep playing it.  With all of those people some of them are bound to be hackers, laggers, whiners and twats.
Illumination is not reached by visualizing the light but by exploring the darkness.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2007, 12:56:27 pm »
Yeah, Seth, I know. But in the old days the 'nice guy/jerk ratio' was maybe 1/4(I have no idea how accurate this is, but that's not the point anyway). As soldat has gotten bigger, those stats have definitely changed, That's what I don't get. They should've stayed the same, even if more people came.
More morons - sure, but more friendly people as well.

How come this is not so?

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2007, 01:02:51 pm »
I mainly agree totally that we can change the community in some servers by just being the way we shold be, and we have always been. Nice and kindly.
So the jerks may think it's actually better to be nice if they see the good players having fun while being nice to each other.

This is the only thing I can think of, so lets raid Soldat with a bundle of LOVE!

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2007, 01:05:50 pm »
Stop talking about it guys. Go! Be friendly!
@ii

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2007, 01:07:01 pm »
The ratio didn't change, if it was 1/4, it still is 1/4.
The change you're talking about is from "1/4 to 2/8" (math illiterates: they're both the same ;)). This is due to the number of players in Soldat, as generally accepted cause. Anyway, the change from 1/4 to 2/8 does mean that there used to be 3 'noobs' (negative meaning of the word) and one 'decent' player while that has changed to 2 'decent' players and 6 'noobs' in a random server.

Grtz, DePhille
This signature was broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2007, 01:28:35 pm »
Oh C'mon DePhille ::).. You know what I mean, mate. I meant ofcourse that the ratio has now gone in favor of the negative, as from ratio 1/4 to maybe 1/8.

Offline Napalmi

• Camper
  • Oh man I shot marvin in the face!
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2007, 01:50:20 pm »
sigh. i also miss the old times. Back then the first person joining in my server started talking and chatting among shooting. I even got his msn and now were internet-friends. and thats a long time ago. Too long, in fact.

Balls Removed. Check Forum Rules <---thats why u need to obey.

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2007, 01:51:05 pm »
Yeah I know, but that's not what I meant.
I tried to illustrate that there are two possible views on this.
1) Using the ratio.
2) Using the diffrence between 'noobs' (neg. meaning) and 'decent' players.

People feel the second but think the first. You'll feel worse if you play in a server with 8 players (2 of which 'decent' players and 6 of which 'noobs', the "2/8-ratio") than if you'd play on a server with 4 players (1 being 'decent' and 3 being 'noobs', the "1/4-ratio"). Though they're mathematically speaken the same, they feel diffrent.
I hope I succeeded in rephrasing what I tried to tell, if not please let me know and I'll give it another shot.
Sorry.

Grtz, DePhille
This signature was broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline TigaHawk

• Major
  • AKA The Best
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2007, 01:51:46 pm »
<--- Hasn't played in public for about 4 months now... It's called IRC fools! get it!
¤ ´¨)
¸.·´¸.·¤´¨) ¸.·¤¨) ¸.·¤´¨) ¸.·¤¨) ¸.·¤´¨) ¸.·¤¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` (¸. TigaHawk

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2007, 02:00:23 pm »
Lots of people have the potential to support you. You just have to find them in a certain server. =\

And second of all, we had a hacker using the most obvious of all hacks--airman. He kept zooming around the levels while we tried vote-kicking him. He stayed in the game because the idiots didn't press f12. When finally ww convinced them to press it, he was voted to leave the game. Took about five minutes =\

Third, I once went to a server, then immediatedly got vote-kicked for no reason. I joined, saw the vote-box meant for me, and the next second, I saw black, then the text saying "You have been banned from this server." :|

Fourth: I'm late for school. =\