Author Topic: polygon type in hover maps?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
polygon type in hover maps?
« on: April 13, 2007, 04:55:32 pm »
I just played hoverrace for the first time, and noticed one main thing about it that caused problems... if you hit the wall or are standing on the ground, it is kinda hard to get moving again (like you don't bounce off of walls, you kinda grind to a halt when you hit them).

Would it help to make hoverrace maps use the slippery/slide polygons?   I don't know much of anything about mapping or hover, but this is just a thought I had and I'm curious to hear what people have to say about it.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
Re: polygon type in hover maps?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 05:03:19 pm »
That was my first thought when  I played Hoverrace. Those tight spaces and hard turns really annoyed me to hell with my lil soldat guy constantly grinding into a wall. I think that maybe just the harder turns and tight tunnels should be made of ice polygons (cause I know some Hardcore racers will say that's the main point of the races to make them harder :P)

BTW nice to see you playing soldat again FLAB (I think you said that you don't have the time for gaming somewhere 'round these forums)

Offline edak

• Flagrunner
  • AussiEdak
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 06:10:17 pm »
it IS supposed to be difficult.

UPDATED 12-Aug-2010 FIXED LINKS!!!!! - 18 Apr 2007 - NOW WITH FULLLY MODDABLE MAP TEXTURES! Modders, further customise your soldat!

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 02:49:50 am »
play it a lot, after you learn the maps it gets a LOT more fun. Ive noticed that if a polygon is like, verticle, even if it is ice then it will stop you. I dunno why but its real annoying.

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 10:20:56 pm »
hihi... there is an easy technique which not only makes you NOT stop when you hit the wall but also increases your movement speed by about 10% in total. just walk in the air, into the direction you are flying. and use your jet when flying vertical aswell. there is no need for ice polys, they just ease things up for hoverpadawans :)
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host