Author Topic: Mods messing up my signature!  (Read 721 times)

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Mods messing up my signature!
« on: April 17, 2007, 10:06:15 pm »
I'm making a lot of topics here arent I... Well this one puzzels me and its not really a bad thing but kind of annoying.

A while ago I recieved this badge of cowardice 'Warning Level I', and I noticed the quote signs in my signature were changed to strange incoherant garble.
Now though, my avatar is too big, and a dutyful mod comes along and gets rid of it, and all of my beautiful "'s and ''s  in my sig are turned to &039; or something. I have seen this notation before, but I forget what its called. Kind of reminds me of the %20 that is a space in URL's.

It seems to me that whenever a mod/admin changes a person's profile all of these things are messed up. Remembering my c++ I know that adding a '\'  before them will let you use these without messing up your program, so I'm wondering if A) this will work on forums or B) if there is anything that can be done to stop this evil.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Mods messing up my signature!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:07:32 pm »
Sounds like a bug in SMF.  I'll post on their forums about it when I get a chance

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 10:12:50 pm »
...interesting.  It seems that just pressing "change profile" without actually making any changes does this, but it's easily reversible.

Also, certain characters don't work in the avatar text (and probably the title as well) such as apostrophes.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 10:14:32 pm by VijchtiDoodah »

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 11:03:10 pm »
Yeah I have noticed this in peoples signatures before. I think the forums can't read the characters sometimes so it puts in a weird combination of symbols.
@ii

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 11:14:38 pm »
AH I found it.
http://www.asciitable.com/
In the first table look under HTML. Thats what it was giving me... '