Author Topic: Question about avatars  (Read 957 times)

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Question about avatars
« on: April 17, 2007, 08:06:51 pm »
Ok, for the whole dancing avatar thing, I am DYING(sp?) to use this:

HOWEVER, the rules say 20kb maximum, and I'm asking...
If you link to an offsite avatar, shouldn't it not matter how large it is?
The only scenario I could think of that would make it bad would be if it saves that avatar on the site so really you aren't actually linking to it. If this is  the case... does anyone want to make it <20 kb?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Question about avatars
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 08:09:12 pm »
The reason for the filesize limit isn't to save bandwidth on the server, it is to keep load times for forum members to a minimum.  There are ISPs (mainly australian though some EU ones too) that only allow something like 10GB/month of download traffic, and if everyone had a large avatar it'd add up to a significant amount.

edit: and that avatar is too distracting anyway, I'd probably not let you use it.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:10:46 pm »
oh... that makes sense... weeeelllll, now I guess I get to find a way to trim 460kb off of this picture :O

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 02:35:03 pm »
there is no way you could make that forum size without making it look so bad that it wouldn't be worth having, try only black and white with like half the layers.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 03:00:11 pm »
Dunno why you want that to be your avatar and IMO static images are much better and less annoying.

OBEY!!!

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 03:31:39 pm »
Meh I think it looks cool but you should make it just half the duration and maybe black and white.

And I am one of the limited broadband users. I have a 5 gigs a month limit and if I cross it I pay more. And teh ISP is T-Com (the german company I think) and they are monopolistic bastards just as microsoft. And it's 1 mbps/256 bps speed

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 03:38:47 pm »

Our lovely, simple, dial-up friendly forum is nowhere this close to degrading. This forums always shines by comparision. Just.....stop worrying about the forums degrading or something. Ok?

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 03:45:17 pm »

Our lovely, simple, dial-up friendly forum is nowhere this [insert wierdo hentai forum] close to degrading. This forums always shines by comparision. Just.....stop worrying about the forums degrading or something. Ok?
I don't care, I have a fiber optic cable, but it is still annoying as hell to see someone with an avatar big enough to be my desktop wallpaper.

The avatar and signature rules are really well made, if your avatar is <20 kbs you either have a huge/annoying animated avatar or refuse to use anything above the compression power of ms paint.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan