Author Topic: enable crawling through small spaces  (Read 1777 times)

Offline {depth}shaman

• Soldier
  • I'm Warning lvl 1! So i suggest you lay low
enable crawling through small spaces
« on: April 18, 2007, 06:00:53 pm »
Right now in soldat, anyspace you can crawl through, you can also run through. In other words, crawling does not help you fit through small spaces. I'm suggesting that the player be able to crawl through small spaces that he can't run or crouch through. Crouching could also let the player fit through spaces that he couldn't run through.

I think this would be nice for all types of maps, because it could allow players to trade off time and vulnerability, for a better position on the map. I can see vents in r/s that one has to crawl through, a crazy ditch in tw, or a shortcut through a jungle cave in DM. what do you think?

EDIT: someone plz add "soldat" to the forum spellchecker.
Life's like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit goes down with each bite.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: enable crawling through small spaces
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 06:26:53 pm »
yes. agree. no reason it shouldn't.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:06:52 pm »
actually a really good idea!  it's been bugging me for some while that i can't squeeze myself through tight corners if I can't run through them - and that my head is in the ceiling wall :/  This would add cool strategy (though having to prone through places can be a b**** when under attack)
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 08:28:35 pm »
Which is why sneaking is emphasized here.

I support, I'm a sneaker/camper, and small spaces make for great camping spots, not to mention the capabilities of sneaking here...
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 09:13:48 pm »
Right now in soldat, anyspace you can crawl through, you can also run through. In other words, crawling does not help you fit through small spaces.

This isn't true. In fact, there are at least a couple of maps I know which force people to crawl through certain passages, though I don't recall the names off hand. The main problem with this idea is that Soldat is too fast a game, and the crawling speed is too slow. It's only real use that I can see is in realistic mode, where you stand a good chance of crawling into position before you are spotted and killed.

Offline nEsCafE_dUdE

• Major(1)
  • Gunner
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 04:01:20 am »
yeah... I Agree to this.......

Offline Toxic Avenger

• Major
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 10:38:56 am »
You have my full support, though it would lead to more bugs; Image crawling through a long tunnel and then you stand up, what would happen?

Offline Zantalos

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 10:55:52 am »
Right now in soldat, anyspace you can crawl through, you can also run through. In other words, crawling does not help you fit through small spaces.

This isn't true. In fact, there are at least a couple of maps I know which force people to crawl through certain passages, though I don't recall the names off hand. The main problem with this idea is that Soldat is too fast a game, and the crawling speed is too slow. It's only real use that I can see is in realistic mode, where you stand a good chance of crawling into position before you are spotted and killed.
That's almost like saying, mod it yourself. You gain an absolute minimum by crawling and it should be increased, those maps are perfectly tweaked to compensate soldat's crawling. It's pretty glitchy still so this should not be ignored simply because it's 'sort of' possible on a couple maps.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 11:00:53 am »
You have my full support, though it would lead to more bugs; Image crawling through a long tunnel and then you stand up, what would happen?
That's the current problem. When you stand whilst crawling your head goes through the roof. How about maybe you character cannot get up until you get out..

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 03:46:57 pm »
I'm not sure if the hit detection would be up to that.... trying to stand up and the roof is too close?
It all sounds way too glitchy to me.

But what the hey, I'll support. I don't think it will go in because this sounds pretty heavy duty for MM to code and stuff...
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline {depth}shaman

• Soldier
  • I'm Warning lvl 1! So i suggest you lay low
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 06:46:23 pm »
yeah, i doubt this would ever be implemented, but anyways, I'd like to hear about these maps you can crawl through.  If there is a map where you can do this, id like to see it so i can copy their strategy. I've made a few maps myslef and tried this.You simply can't crawl through small spaces. the character won't go. As for standing up underneath it, you would probably get stuck huh? It would teach you not to stand up though. People would learn pretty quick.
Life's like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit goes down with each bite.

Offline As Always

• Soldier
  • ZAKK WYLDE WOOOO
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 01:48:04 am »
This is a good idea, but won't it mean MM with have to re-write the map format? Isn't that a big no-no?

Offline Iron Man

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 05:45:51 pm »
im pretty sure ctf_k_gold has one at the very beggining.. or very close to

if not, full support. i'd love a 2ndary game mode.. crouch and saw!

Offline The_Ninja

• Soldier
  • erm...
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 07:26:33 pm »
Full Support!!, it'd help with climbing maps to make them more difficult aswell ;D

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 08:20:56 pm »
im pretty sure ctf_k_gold has one at the very beggining.. or very close to
no it doesn't. maybe you are thinking about ctf___k_omg? but you can walk through that.