Author Topic: tw map layout brainstorm thread  (Read 9955 times)

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
tw map layout brainstorm thread
« on: April 18, 2007, 06:22:24 pm »
I didn't come to any suiteable tw layout for my new tw map. So i decided to create this thread to see if someone has any ideas. It's basically aligned for those skilled tw players usually idling on tw server.
please post sketchy view of the map... and it shouldn't clone any old tw maps...

Offline Gippal

• Soldier
  • Look, I have no bad karma!
Re: tw map layout brainstorm thread
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 06:58:18 pm »
http://ihostupost.com/files/186/TW_Canyon.png

Rather than going up a hill in the middle, you go down into a canyon, and back up. =O

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 07:15:40 pm »

Rather than going up a hill in the middle, you go down into a canyon, and back up. =O
that would be fun but what would prevent mass spraying from one side to next?

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 07:16:52 pm »
A spike right down in the middle. Simple as that. Or, to make it look better, add clouds and put colliders in them.

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 07:21:19 pm »
Well i saw a thread about a big hill filled with stat guns on top. Would be wikked in a tw map i think personally. I'd put it on the server if its good. Capturing the flag is not really possible but that doesn´t matter i think.

http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=12669.0

Red/Blue running for the top trying to breakthru. Lots of trenches and cover places on the hill. Maybe  some bunkers etc. Make it your style virtualTT and its gonna be good anyway.
Lemme know if i can help ya somehow

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 07:34:10 pm »

I like this idea. i don't think that too much spray would be possible since tw maps are quite long. Also statguns range isn't that large. But with the long slope going up when you are getting to enemy's base it'll be very difficult to get the flag. Attacking players will become much slower and defending team's weapons range will be increased.

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 08:11:49 pm »
Sounds like a winner!

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 11:18:03 pm »
the slope should be lessened if you were to make that though, that steepness would allow for too much speed to be gathered.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 11:32:48 pm »
Yeah I like this idea. As long as it isn't to cramped and the hill is a nice casual steepness. At first when I heard this idea with the valley I thought, "No way," but since it would be nice and spread out, sounds good to me.

Offline Gippal

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 12:18:43 am »
I didn't intend for the slope to be steep, but I didn't feel like resizing everything. =P

I'm glad you guys like my layout! But, even bigger thanks to VTT if he makes it. =)

Anyways, feel free to edit the idea to your hearts content!

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 12:20:23 am »
Also with the canyon idea I can see getting down to the floor a problem due to fall damage, add jets if you make it.
I love the idea with the clouds, but make breaks so that you can shoot through in a few places :)

Offline Gippal

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 01:23:35 am »
Or add a few camonets with colliders on top to allow some areas of safe passage. Would certainly make more sense than bullet-stopping-clouds. (Not taking any shots at your idea.)

Clouds and protective camonets might work too, though.

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 07:32:53 am »
make a TW map with a very low roof, basically a one wayed cave. never seen an actual roof in TW maps, and a big tunnel would be a nice new experience
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Sir Snipes

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 09:31:02 am »
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but does TW maps have to be based on WW2 ideas? Or could you use a modern looking map? If you can use a modern looking map I have the perfect idea. But please answer my question as soon as you can. :)

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 10:18:27 am »
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but does TW maps have to be based on WW2 ideas? Or could you use a modern looking map? If you can use a modern looking map I have the perfect idea. But please answer my question as soon as you can. :)
no, they can be based on anything. search for tw_tronwars and if that is WWII I must have missed something. (though noone plays tronwars anymore).

Offline Sir Snipes

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 11:08:06 am »
Well I haven't got a picture of the layout or anything but....

Maybe have afew towers, I mean huge towers, 2/3 of them and have those bridges going between them all at different heights. The red flag will be on the left tower on the top and the blue flag would be on the floor of the tower on the right hand side.

There could also be one big underground carpark going throughout all the towers??

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 11:21:55 am »
eeh, most TW maps have only one route, but make it anyways as maybe an R/S map or just plain ctf.

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 12:28:34 pm »
There is already map with one big tunnel - tw haunted, and it has horroble gameplay. So this idea doesn't seem to be perspective...

Yeah, tw maps can be based on anything. Here is my Tau building sketch:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 11:53:48 am by VirtualTT »

Offline Rook_PL

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 01:03:59 pm »
hm, It would be cool to have a W40k style tw map. Can you make that kind of landscape? With machines scenery and buildings? This pic. above is a nice beginning. Can't wait untill you finish. I think you're going to make super uber mega fabulous map :) I hope there will be some place for Space Marines too.
:P
Kill the mutants. Burn the heretics. Purge the unclean.

LtHerbert

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 02:24:45 pm »
Ok two ideas both WW2 inspired. first an Iwo Jima map where one side is going down the hill and one side is landing on the beach and going up the hill with pill boxes scatterd here and there. Second is Americans trying to take a German bunker system that has corridors and different paths to take and stuff. Or ya a TW d-day map because no1 has made a TW d-day map and /I know VirtualTT can make the best one yet AND for TW

plus i dont like modern maps unl;ess its like a CS map or urben warfare like iraq but not futuristic cause it talkes away teh TW theme thats probobly why Tronwars is never played.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 02:27:05 pm by LtHerbert »