Would you use a torrent?

Yes
91 (64.1%)
No
38 (26.8%)
Maybe/I don't know
13 (9.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author Topic: would you use a torrent?  (Read 12865 times)

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: would you use a torrent?
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2007, 01:48:24 am »
Hm it somehow shows up as a .zip-file. But if you open it in utorrent it'll work..woa took me under a min ;)

it "shows up as a zip file" because you don't have it showing extension for known file types... like if you have foobar.txt, it'll just show up as foobar.  If you have soldat131.zip.torrent, it'll just show up as soldat131.zip

To change this, open an explorer window and go to tools-->folder options --> click on the view tab --> uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types"

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2007, 01:58:02 am »
Maybe you're right but normaly it does show up as a .torrent file when i save torrents that have the same type of name. Now this http://blackdevil0742.sitesled.com/temp/soldat131.zip.torrent that i've altered comes as a .torrent file for me and it has the same name.

EDIT: Tried with the thing you mentioned (even if i don't like that option when saving stuff in MS Word) yet it comes as a .zip. Um yeah I had to stop seeding because the laptops that use wireless network at home stopped accessing internet.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 02:03:30 am by blackdevil0742 »

OBEY!!!

Offline Dolfo

• Major
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2007, 08:52:33 am »
Direct link.
Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2007, 08:53:53 am »
I experienced the same thing with Firefox and my download manager recognizing the file as a zip archive. Changing the file extensions settings didn't change anything.

* Toumaz seeds it

Offline ..::HHH::..

• Soldier
  • Dream Theater.. is the F**king best!
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2007, 12:52:19 pm »
torrent is good. but people use it to release illegal stuff, which is baad!

Offline .Long-Range

• Camper
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2007, 06:07:49 pm »
Alright, I figured out how to use torrents and everything just so that I could download Soldat and make it easier for the hoster.

Some thing's wrong with my port and I don't have the information to log into my account for my router. But it's ok... I'm downloading something using uTorrent right now and everything seems to be working fine.
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2007, 06:23:27 pm »
Alright, I figured out how to use torrents and everything just so that I could download Soldat and make it easier for the hoster.

Some thing's wrong with my port and I don't have the information to log into my account for my router. But it's ok... I'm downloading something using uTorrent right now and everything seems to be working fine.

yeah, you can still download things if you don't forward the ports, but they might be slower.  If the health of the torrent is good, you won't necessarily notice a difference.  In general, if you know how to forward ports, it'd be good to do that.  It gets you faster speeds and it is good for the torrent's health

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2007, 07:26:12 pm »
I'd be pretty indifferent, the only difference between a torrent and a Direct Link is the fact that you have to have the torrent program on the computer previously. I'd seed it too.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2007, 07:35:29 pm »
I don't care so much that people seed it, but make sure you download it using the torrent too ;)

Offline Drakor

• Major
  • ... Do I need to say it?
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2007, 11:05:58 pm »
I'd actually use the torrent first: because it's download speed would actually be FASTER if more people downloaded by it- instead of a site crash from extreme bandwith overuse.
100% of the people who see this signature will have visited http://Http://forums.soldat.pl. Put this in your signature if you like pie... or cake! :D

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2007, 12:02:02 am »
I'd actually use the torrent first: because it's download speed would actually be FASTER if more people downloaded by it- instead of a site crash from extreme bandwith overuse.

'zactly

Offline n2j3

• Soldier
    • soldat.gr
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2007, 04:20:51 am »
Count me in as seeder too.

Offline User No. 2

• Major
  • IT engineer
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2007, 06:41:36 am »
I will seed Soldat 1.4 either, and at the same time I will release it on eMule p2p network (eDonkey network) too.

If someone has alternative direct link or Torrent (or other p2p network) it`s natural that he (or she) will chose direct link, so maybe it could be good idea if Soldat 1.4 would be released on Torrent way, for example one day before official release (on webhosts etc.), this could be strong motivation to use Torrent way for many people.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 06:55:22 am by User No. 2 »
Regards, User No. 2

Offline FannyBoy

• Soldier
  • Mwhaha!
    • |> Slavia Ultras <|
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2007, 11:50:08 am »
I don't understand torrents so I'll use normal download :)

Offline katheb

• Major(1)
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2007, 12:03:37 pm »
if you think it would help i guess you could [though you need seeders and we all know seeding causes lag! ]

so dun expect any miracles

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2007, 02:22:18 pm »
if you think it would help i guess you could [though you need seeders and we all know seeding causes lag! ]

so dun expect any miracles

every torrent client can limit the upload.  If you limit it to about half of what your connection can do uploading, you'll be fine.

I'll see what MM would think about maybe releasing 1.4 an hour earlier via torrents.  That's a really good idea ;)

Offline Noldi

• Camper
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2007, 02:40:14 pm »
I've never used a torrent, or know what it is. All I want is just a direct download. Don't make it too confusing please.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2007, 02:48:27 pm »
I just spoke to MM.  1.4 will be released 30 minutes earlier than planned via torrent.  The normal direct links will all show up at the planned time.

Please read what I said carefully.  1.4 is being released early to people willing to use the torrent.  The official download mirrors with direct downloads will be made available at the time that is planned for release.

The reason I point that out is so that people don't complain "it isn't fair to make the direct links show up 30 minutes late" because they won't.  The direct links will be on-time and the torrent link will be up early.

I mention this so you can install a torrent client if you're planning to get it early ;)

Clients:
uTorrent: http://www.utorrent.com/
azureus: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

many others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_client
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 03:34:37 pm by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline DarkNoddy

• Soldier
  • BunnehMastah
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2007, 03:03:06 pm »
Just out of curiosity, will you log stats on how many use the torrent and how many dont? (yes I do care about stuff that doesnt matter..)
----Get µTorrent here! - Torrent Tutorial----  
The sum of all fears: 01945

Offline FannyBoy

• Soldier
  • Mwhaha!
    • |> Slavia Ultras <|
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2007, 03:18:49 pm »
I thought that with torrent you downloading files really slow... About 1 day?

Date Posted: April 26, 2007, 04:17:47 PM
I've never used a torrent, or know what it is. All I want is just a direct download. Don't make it too confusing please.
wow same as me, but I'll try to understand if it's better or not :p