Author Topic: Karma  (Read 11051 times)

Offline Yukwunhang

• Major
Re: Karma
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 03:32:50 am »
However, I feel that a Thread Rating system should be implemented on these forums.

I've seen that before. No one ever uses it.
http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/

Offline xurich

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 03:36:56 am »
A thread rating system sounds awesome. People might actually stop to think about what they post. I can't imagine that it would go unused on these forums. Still, I support the karma system as well.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 11:57:16 am »
I like this karma idea.

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2006, 04:16:48 pm »
As far as we're on the subject, I'll make reference to this thread again. I'm not very enthusiastic about getting a karma or karm-like system running at the moment, because we have other things that take priority on the to-do list. However, if you're going to plan, I'll throw it in.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 06:05:20 pm »
I can say from experience that thread rating systems never get used.  Maybe they will for the first couple days or week(s), but after that they're just taking up space

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 06:08:22 pm »
I can say from experience that thread rating systems never get used.  Maybe they will for the first couple days or week(s), but after that they're just taking up space

Hurry! I'm not always wrong  8)

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 08:24:06 pm »
Topic rating systems can be used. It depends on the audience.

Despite this, I think a karma system would be way cooler.
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2006, 08:38:53 pm »
Lets not adopt anything like roosterteeth.

Topic rating, Mod Points, Karma, Awards, Blogs, Friend lists.

Offline xurich

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2006, 10:54:50 pm »
I read through that thread, Kazuki, and I support the idea of only allowing people to give others positive reputation points. It would greatly help to prevent abuse of the system, and it would turn it less into a popularity contest and instead focus on the content of the person's post. By all means, implement a system such as that.

Offline kingkitty

• Soldier
  • Yes!
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2006, 11:14:11 pm »
Hey hey, how about we actually use the karma feature first, and see what actually happens. We dont know whats gunna happen until it actually happens......we shouldn't come to any conclusions before it's even shown.

If the karma feature turns out to have a problem when it is finally shown, then it would be the time for improvement.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 11:18:43 pm by kingkitty »
I'm away.

Offline dasilverguy

• Major(1)
    • |BTK| Forum
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2006, 09:49:01 am »
I think its pointless and will do more bad than good.

Simply put, the effect a karma system is supposed to have will not happen on these forums because most people know eachother. Karma system is most effective where people dont necesarrily know every other person who is posting, so they will be more likely to be objective if that person makes a good/bad post. This is a pretty small community, so if someone doesnt like someone else, or someone likes someone else, they may just **** eachother without much regard of whether the other persons posts are great/good or bad.

However, I feel that a Thread Rating system should be implemented on these forums. This is once again a thing which is possible in SMF. Basically what it does is allow users to rate a thread from 1-5 stars, and then the rating will show up in the general forum where all the threads are listed, somewhere next to the threads name. I think this will encourage people to make more useful threads/posts and stuff like that.

One problem: People can vote low numbers for the people they hate, and rate highly for themselves (or thier friends) even if the post it idiotic
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 09:57:05 am by dasilverguy »

Offline Kazuki

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • European Wonder
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2006, 11:22:40 am »
Hey hey, how about we actually use the karma feature first, and see what actually happens. We dont know whats gunna happen until it actually happens......we shouldn't come to any conclusions before it's even shown.

If the karma feature turns out to have a problem when it is finally shown, then it would be the time for improvement.

Actually, we do know. Back when Styx was still an active admin, b00sta created an external karma system. Basically, you would visit his website, which would have everybody who PM'ed him on it. People could vote you positively or negatively, and those votes would be presented by a tiny bar below your name. The thing is that it was nothing more than a popularity contest. Styx, Michal, b00sta, and Chakra were at the top, followed by us, the mods, and so on. It really wasn't that great.