Author Topic: swimming  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Seize

• Major
  • pizownage
    • iNevitable
swimming
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:48:34 pm »
swimming should be added.

imagine an amphibious infiltration the enemies base on trench wars. and while you swim you can't like, use weapons. but you can dive underwater to avoid being seen.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: swimming
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 12:10:08 am »
It would be way too hard to do and really not enough reason to do it.

Offline Seize

• Major
  • pizownage
    • iNevitable
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 12:46:26 am »
It would be way too hard to do and really not enough reason to do it.

it would make it funner..and more tactical. which is what trench wars is...tactical.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 12:49:15 am »
it would make it funner..and more tactical. which is what trench wars is...tactical.
how would it make it "more tactical?" All I can see this doing is confusing people who accidently hit a water polygon. Most people I know do water with scenery, and to do this would require making a new poly type.

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 07:40:09 am »
Take a look at the "don't suggest list".

Offline Zamorak

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 08:00:53 am »
This isn't a viable suggestion because adding water would involve chaging the map format, which won't happen.
ZamoraK |2Wai|

Offline Zantalos

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 11:06:53 am »
There should just be an extra map option that's like barbed wire. Instead of instantly hurting you when you touch it, it pauses for like 4-10 seconds before killing you.

It's pretty gay to just be under the "water", nothing happening and then you go a foot deeper and you instantly die. Seems like the map designers wanted this simple option but couldn't get it.

This pause should apply for barbed wire too because that shit is retarded.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 11:20:47 am »
It's pretty gay to just be under the "water", nothing happening and then you go a foot deeper and you instantly die. Seems like the map designers wanted this simple option but couldn't get it.
most good maps I play the underwater is hurts or lava, not kills.

I dont get what you mean by pausing barbed wire. it hurts you immediately, not with a pause.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 11:29:47 am »
On a certain trenchwars map, stand in shallow water, it hurts. Stand in deeper water, you die. I suppose that it could be easier to code it in sceneries that has the name "water" in it. That way, when soldiers go into water sceneries, like the big one, they start the animation sequence "swim" and swim. But, yeah, soldat doesn't have to be that realistic.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 11:56:31 am »
It might be fun but no, without swimming it's better
Text goes here...

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 12:25:02 pm »
This would make amphibious assaults easier. But then, we can already do those.

It would require more animations, and a new polygon type, and....other things. So no.

It would be cool, though.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 04:04:57 pm »
suggested in the old forums and very well reviewed:

Quote from: zyxstand
Here's a topic from the old forums I want to bring up for voting.

Here are more details on this idea:
(1) Mapmaker should have sparate polygon for water.
(2) Water should produce a buoyancy force on the player so that he dives slower and rises faster (even though he has heavy-ass guns!
(3) Movement is simple: "w" (up) to swim -> the soldier will follow the cursor and (so that there's no upsidedown looking soldier facing the other side) have another flipped animation for other way.
(4) Maybe even add backward movement although this won't be all that necessary.
(5) List of water-proof weapons:  Deagles, AK74, ruger, barret, minimi, socom, knife, chainsaw, fist, regular rambo bow, flamethrower, grenades (see 23) and 24)).  List of non-water-proof weapons:  MP5, steyr aug, spas, M79, minigun, LAW, falming rambo bow (would be like regular bow), M2 stationary gun.  Anything I missed
(6) Oxygen bar (map editor editable?).
(7) After oxygen runs out blood will quickly be drained (like in Tomb Raider games).
(8) Oxygen recovers rather quickly (4x faster than used up).
(9) Underwater, jet-boots can also work to make you faster in the direction you're looking at.
(10) Player should move upwards while not moving about 5 times slower than gravity pulls down.
(11) New secondary: Oxygen Tank - good only once (can't recover/reload) - when selcted (q) its "ammo" bar will slowly go down (about good for 25 seconds).  To use gun you must switch to it (can't use gun and tank at the same time).
(12) When switching to oxygen tank while underwater after the soldier has lost some breath, it replenishes that "breath" same speed as if you were outside, using up more of your tank.
(13) You would move slower underwater.
(14) Bullets are weakly affected underwater.
(15) If a player has a gun out underwater and it's not waterproof it will just not fire but still work outside after.
(16) You can still punch underwater.
(17) When swimming/floating ON water, your breath won't be used.
(18) And players can use non-water-proof guns (if aimed above water)while floating.
(19) While floating, a player's body is always pointing either left or right (so that you don't have people making the guy be diagonal sticking out of the water at water level (unrealistic).
(20) While floating, players also get their breath back (reloads).
(21) You could make little airpockets underwater in the map editor to catch breath.  Ideal for climbing-type maps.
(22) Grenades will have less range when thrown underwater.  The same goes for M79 projectiles.
(23) Cluster grenades?  ...I don't know.
(24) Flame god will still be flaming because it's a super-mode.  However it only boils the water (with some boiling animation) making it super hot so that if you swim thorugh it while it's still bubbly/boiling, you will loose health (unless you're in god-mode). - Idea by Captain Ben.
(25) Shots fired from outside of the water into the water should dcrease speed by about 33% and also do 33% less damage - however sniper should still kill on hit.
(26) Also, the bullets described in the previous point should bend a little toward the normal (meaning it gets closer to being vertical).  Inverse properties applicable.
(27) Bullets should have water-spash effects accompanied by sound effects.
(28) Water particles are to be rendered as particles - client-side only of course - amount of particles optional in setup to handle computer lag.
(29) Another great idea by Captain Ben: When people die they should float on the water.
(30) Again, Captain Ben's idea: Blood should cloud the water, especially from a dead person.

Alright I guess that is it.

Also please tell me whether you understood every single point I mentioned here. Otherwise I will make it more comprehendable for you guys.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Scorpian

• Camper
  • Republican
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 04:20:46 pm »
Guess what:

Everyone doesn't play trenchwars.

Offline Zantalos

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 12:32:30 am »
most good maps I play the underwater is hurts or lava, not kills.

I dont get what you mean by pausing barbed wire. it hurts you immediately, not with a pause.
I mean, barbed wire should not instantly start hurting you and shallow water should not do the same. It's like a stupid life drain when you're in these spots, that's not even their point. The point is to not camp underneath the water, and not linger around on the tops of building with barbed wire on them.

Instead of polygons that do a set amount of damage each second, you should be able to have polygons that do damage AFTER a certain amount of time. That way for water it could be, you go in for five seconds (still at full health), "run out of breathe", and then die. I mean, in real life you don't stick your head in the water and instantly start bleeding out, you're perfectly fine until your air runs out, then you got problems.

Same thing for barbed wire, that same water polygon could be used for barbed wire so instead of running across the map where the map maker had just gone bat sh** crazy with that stuff and you find out that by the time you reach the half way mark half your health is missing. Instead, what would happen is that you wouldn't get hurt at all unless you decided to stand in the wire for more than 2 seconds at a time. That wopuld be a much better solution. You wouldn't get annoyed at constantly having to jump through wire with no jet pack and you would still put pressure on the ENEMY by not allowing them to stay in those areas where barbed wire is placed. Right now, the only thing barbed wire hurts, is your team. Pretty stupid.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 10:55:55 am »
Ha. I bet myself $100 while waiting for this page to load that zyxstand would post in here. ::)

GIVE IT UP. It's like VEHICLES, just not as widely considered—hence, not as much resistance.

You are freakin' talking about adding hundreds and hundreds of new variables, even outside of: a new secondary (Oxygen Tank); an Oxygen Bar to the interface, whose duration is set by a function in map editors; AND another polygon type; AND new animations. EACH of these has been, in one form or another, suggested INDIVIDUALLY by various fans over time, and EACH has been shot down for their coding problems.

[size=0](new weapons will never be added due to coding tediousness and backwards-incompatibility with custom weapons.INI of old—new interface-gfx will never be added due to backwards-incompatibility with custom interfaces of old—the added polygon type would require all maps be remade, that all map editors except PolyWorks be rendered obselete due to its need for polygonal transparency support, which even already only PW supports—new animations will not be made because of sheer difficulty, and putting new ones in would also wreck the current .POA Editor which would not be able to detect them)[/size]

Plus, we are not even sure of how graciously the community will accept it. Why even bother?

Accept it. Soldaten cannot and never will be able to swim. If MM miraculously decided that they ought to, he'd then get

Offline Zantalos

• Major(1)
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 07:57:48 pm »
Ha. I bet myself $100 while waiting for this page to load that zyxstand would post in here. ::)

GIVE IT UP. It's like VEHICLES, just not as widely considered—hence, not as much resistance.

You are freakin' talking about adding hundreds and hundreds of new variables, even outside of: a new secondary (Oxygen Tank); an Oxygen Bar to the interface, whose duration is set by a function in map editors; AND another polygon type; AND new animations. EACH of these has been, in one form or another, suggested INDIVIDUALLY by various fans over time, and EACH has been shot down for their coding problems.

[size=0](new weapons will never be added due to coding tediousness and backwards-incompatibility with custom weapons.INI of old—new interface-gfx will never be added due to backwards-incompatibility with custom interfaces of old—the added polygon type would require all maps be remade, that all map editors except PolyWorks be rendered obselete due to its need for polygonal transparency support, which even already only PW supports—new animations will not be made because of sheer difficulty, and putting new ones in would also wreck the current .POA Editor which would not be able to detect them)[/size]
I don't want an oxygen tank, an oxygen bar, a new swimming animation, new polygons, or anything like that.

All I want is to have some kind of delay function that 'can' act like water. Instead of hitting the ground where "water" has been placed and you either, instantly die or, instantly start bleeding out. I want some kind of delay variable, just a second or two, that can crudely work as water. That's it.

Barbed wire, I'm talking more about barbed wire though.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 09:05:54 pm »
lol MM should rly release the code - think of all the fast improvements there'd be!  or at least sell it to some bigger company to improve the game (faster).
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Dev1200

• Major
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 09:37:25 pm »
COULD work, but would require lots of work.

if it were implemented though, it would be great for infiltration.

Imagine having to swim up to a huge tanker, stealing the flag, then jumping off, having to swim back to shore.  The flag carrier would have to stay on the top though, if the "swimming underwater to avoid detection" idea was implemented as well.  It's hard to script though..

An animation would have to be put in as "diving" into the water.  Also swimming speeds, a completely new button JUST for that action.  Also the previous maps would have to be updated.. as some of them have water scenery for bridges, gaps, etc.

Offline 2big4u

• Camper
  • In Game: 2big4u - Merry Christmas!
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 03:04:08 pm »
I keep hearing "Trench Wars", what are Trench wars? i dont remember that mode...

Offline Dread Lord

• Major(1)
  • Dread Lord Data
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 03:20:55 pm »
me to tel it plz