Author Topic: A few suggestions  (Read 2671 times)

Offline fishfood

• Major
A few suggestions
« on: April 28, 2007, 11:29:50 pm »
Important stuff:

Spread the menus out over the whole screen like they were in 1.3.1-stuff gets really small and doesn't even fill the screen.  Kind of a waste.
Return to 1.3.1 text by default-hard to read.  Pastel colors don't stand out well, it's hard to differentiate the team of the person speaking in the chat with a quick glance.  The more vivid colors stand out better against most all maps.  The idea to make the kill log colored was a great one, but the colors there should be more vivid.
Keep spectators yellow-lighter color is way easier to read on the majority of maps.  This purple is hell on darker maps. 
Slim the bullets back down-I don't even know how to go into this one.  it just looks TERRIBLE.  They look like they're shooting lasers from Star Wars or something.
Remove trails from nades-it was nicer not having them stand out so much.  Maybe a shorter trail?  I kinda like the look, just not so intensely.  Sometimes when a nade is just going it has this weird column of green rising from it.
At different resolutions readjust position of votes, menus, etc.-having them centered looks nice, is easier to access, and it doesn't shoot vote boxes up into the middle of the screen.
Have the origin of the minimap at the center-top of the map, not the upper-left-when you get a really long map it doesn't expand way off into one direction.  Keeps it nicely centered in the proper position.

Purely aesthetic/preference stuff:

Guns shouldn't flicker before disappearing
-obnoxious having them flit about.  Personal preference.
Leave server messages indigo-if you leave the spectator color yellow, the server messages should go back to indigo.  Looks nice.  Readable for the most part.
Put server messages back in brackets-just looked classier.  And god knows the admins gotta look classy.

New ideas:
Allow player to choose how far down the chat displays-with the minimap it can be hard to see most of the chat, as it scrolls up so fast.  You should be able to choose how many lines of chat you can see at most.
A fix for the spawn-punch issue-on FF servers when you spawn, it's common to accidentally TK your teammates by punching them, especially in the first round.  Possibly make teamkilling immediately after you spawn in possible, just for 3-4 seconds or so.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 10:47:44 am by fishfood »

Offline Mr. Pancho

• Major(1)
  • RAWRK!
Re: A few suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 12:28:42 am »
Indeed.
www.rrrrthats5rs.com
Yup, just do it.

lol, those rednecks...

Offline youngtoto

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:17:10 am »
I <3 WAT U SAID!!! the txt in the new soldat may i say is HUMUNGUYOUSDASD and the whole color thing is just distracting and most likely gonna be a major distraction on clan scrimmages or clan wars

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 08:00:23 am »
The text and bullets you can change yourself, y'know...
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Daimarus

• Soldier
  • Believe me, I can kill you with my Spas...
    • SC forums
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 08:15:36 am »
I was about to write the same things (exacly the same!), but I had to leave. I fully agree to this, 1.4 should be great bugfix, but simple as old one.

MM, pleeease think about it

------- EDIT-------

Do you see, how many STARS does this topic have?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 08:22:04 am by Daimarus »
My SPAS-12 doesn't like most of people. He can mistakenly shoot your brain out of your head and splash it on the nearest wall.

Offline fishfood

• Major
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 08:33:48 am »
I know you can mod it yourself.  The text I realize might not be possible in terms of font, as it's a new font system in new resolution, etc.  The old colors were so much better though.
You can change the bullets, and I have.  The deal with this though is that it's somewhat of a disadvantage as other people know what guns are being used and you wouldn't.  Not really fair. 

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 04:03:34 pm »
...You can change the bullets, and I have.  The deal with this though is that it's somewhat of a disadvantage as other people know what guns are being used and you wouldn't.  Not really fair. 

Yay, most ridiculous statement ever. This has always been the case if you modded you bullets, the fact that it's the default doesn't really change much. Just keep the colors but slim the bullets, maybe? Sheez.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline fishfood

• Major
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 04:43:54 pm »
I did say somewhat, I'm personally not worried about it in the least; I changed mine.  Just looking out for those really anal ones among us.  ;)

Offline GluLm

• Camper
  • Polybugs' nightmare
    • maps pack project
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 05:13:56 pm »
I agree with most of your suggestions, and I hope MM will take a look at these.
No wait, I'm SURE he'll fix all this.
:Q
Bring back Soldat 1.3.1! New bullet trails DIE!

Offline Therion

• Major
  • Realism Fetishist
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 05:30:37 pm »
The text and bullets you can change yourself, y'know...
The point of talking how much we don't like dildo-bullets and how ridiculous they look (especially in realistic mode) is informing the developer that we don't want them to be in game in the next version.
My DA gallery

"Black, fearsome and grim and mighty Panzer division Marduk rolls over enemy land
Striking hard and fast against your lines We blow your fortress into sand"

Offline chillis34

• Major
    • [FT] Clan Web Site
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 06:23:40 pm »
It would be nice if you threw a nade and it goes over the hill your enemy schould be able to see it :P i dunno how many times ive been killed by invisable nades in realistic same thing with bullets.
I am the smartest :D

Offline Axar

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 09:23:56 pm »
well i have suggestion too

Add separate sfx for barrett  delay
law-start.wav a bit sux  for sniper rifle ^^`

Offline 2big4u

• Camper
  • In Game: 2big4u - Merry Christmas!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 09:58:06 pm »
So you pretty much wanna just go back to 1.3.1?  Because i think i can hook you up with that.

Offline fishfood

• Major
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 10:05:54 pm »
^No.  I'm simply not mentioning the things I like in here about the new version, as they don't need to be fixed/approved upon! 
Plus, there are no 1.3.1 servers.  Hook me up with a lobby full of 1.3.1 servers, and the players I know, and I'd gladly go back.  ;)

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 10:28:26 pm »
So yeah Im going to go ahead and disagree with everything you said except for changing the spectator colors back to yellow.
I have a Mac so I can't play with you guys no more :(
(psst MM make a Mac version)

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 11:35:24 pm »
Spread the menus out over the whole screen like they were in 1.3.1
Then what is the point of having a bigger screen res. eh? Just put in a smaller res to go back.

Return to 1.3.1 text by default
It may not be easy to tell teams apart now but it is a hell of a lot easier than if it was all white again. Zzzz, use your head.

Keep spectators yellow
Meh, I have nothing to say here. Sure, why not.

Slim the bullets back down
But then they won't be as easy to differentiate... They do look a little odd, but it's a game not a simulation. I like the new bullets quite a bit.

Remove trails from nades
Same as bullets except this is for visibility. Now I can see when a nade is flying at me. Much better.

At different resolutions readjust position of votes, menus, etc
It already does I thought.

Have the origin of the minimap at the center-top of the map, not the upper-left -when you get a really long map it doesn't expand way off into one direction. Keeps it nicely centered in the proper position.
Are you disagreeing with yourself? Which do you want, a centered or non-centered minimap? I think the centered one looks fine as it is.

Guns shouldn't flicker before disappearing.
Personal preference, ya. Now I can tell if it is too late to go for something.

Leave server messages indigo
Sure, whatever. Again: I have nothing to say.

Put server messages back in brackets
See aboveĀ  ;)

Yeah, most of this I don't support
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 11:51:58 pm »
Slim the bullets back down-I don't even know how to go into this one.  it just looks TERRIBLE.  They look like they're shooting lasers from Star Wars or something.
Here's the generic answer; mod them. If the bullets would be changed back to 1.3.1 style I would personally keep using the current 1.4 bullets. It's up to you how you want your game to look like in a certain fashion.

Allow player to choose how far down the chat displays-with the minimap it can be hard to see most of the chat, as it scrolls up so fast.  You should be able to choose how many lines of chat you can see at most.
Edit the line "MainConsole_Length=6" in Soldat.ini.

Keep spectators yellow-lighter color is way easier to read on the majority of maps.  This purple is hell on darker maps. 
I kind of liked that feature. :(

Leave server messages indigo-if you leave the spectator color yellow, the server messages should go back to indigo.  Looks nice.  Readable for the most part.
Put server messages back in brackets-just looked classier.  And god knows the admins gotta look classy.
Agreed. I've modded my messages back to [SERVER MESSAGE] for readability.

Offline fishfood

• Major
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 01:19:14 am »
Spread the menus out over the whole screen like they were in 1.3.1
Then what is the point of having a bigger screen res. eh? Just put in a smaller res to go back.
I mean the green menus, not the actual in game menus.  The lobby, all that stuff.  It hangs out in the upper left.  It should cover the whole screen; it gets hard to read.

Return to 1.3.1 text by default
It may not be easy to tell teams apart now but it is a hell of a lot easier than if it was all white again. Zzzz, use your head.
Maybe i wasn't clear here, my bad.  I just mean use the default 1.3.1 font.  I love the idea to use colors on the text/kill log, just instead of having the light pastel colors, use the bright 1.3.1 red+blue so it's easier to see.

Keep spectators yellow
Meh, I have nothing to say here. Sure, why not.
Groovy.

Slim the bullets back down
But then they won't be as easy to differentiate... They do look a little odd, but it's a game not a simulation. I like the new bullets quite a bit.
Do you really need to differentiate?  You can tell the gun types just fine by the firing rate and buller arc.  And IMO, the standard looking 1.3.1 bullets should be stock.  If you want to mod yours for better visibility so they look like space lasers, the users should do that.  The lasers don't fit with the rest of the graphics, in the least. 

Remove trails from nades
Same as bullets except this is for visibility. Now I can see when a nade is flying at me. Much better.
Fair enough.  Maybe just not so long+bright.  And I think while they are easier to see+avoid, this isn't really bettering the gameplay, just changing it. 

At different resolutions readjust position of votes, menus, etc
It already does I thought.
No.

Have the origin of the minimap at the center-top of the map, not the upper-left -when you get a really long map it doesn't expand way off into one direction. Keeps it nicely centered in the proper position.
Are you disagreeing with yourself? Which do you want, a centered or non-centered minimap? I think the centered one looks fine as it is.
Looks like you didn't get it.  Do you know what the origin is?  I'm saying the origin of the minimap should be the center-top.  This way if you have a huge long map being displayed on the minimap, the minimap will be centered on the screen, stretching off to both the right and left, instead of just going off to the right. 

Guns shouldn't flicker before disappearing.
Personal preference, ya. Now I can tell if it is too late to go for something.

Leave server messages indigo
Sure, whatever. Again: I have nothing to say.

Put server messages back in brackets
See above  ;)

Yeah, most of this I don't support
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 01:22:17 am by fishfood »

Offline Daimarus

• Soldier
  • Believe me, I can kill you with my Spas...
    • SC forums
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 02:10:03 am »
I still think that important improvement is making Ruger weaker in Realistic mode, because it is almost like barret now and erasing the recoil for barret.

Sniper rifle isn't usefull anymore, because of horribly visible bullet trails...
My SPAS-12 doesn't like most of people. He can mistakenly shoot your brain out of your head and splash it on the nearest wall.

Offline Dro

• Major(1)
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 02:29:36 am »
I still think that important improvement is making Ruger weaker in Realistic mode, because it is almost like barret now and erasing the recoil for barret.

Making Ruger weaker is up to server's owner. They can modify their Weapons.ini file and that way make it weaker.
History is our future.