Author Topic: Concerning the new "Anti-Spray" system added to 1.4.  (Read 5476 times)

Offline Dev1200

• Major
Concerning the new "Anti-Spray" system added to 1.4.
« on: April 29, 2007, 03:17:01 pm »
Spraying is now pointless because of this.  How power is reduced by INSANE levels, 50% for 1 screen and 100% for 2 screens and over.  This degrades lots of CTF weapons, like snipers, miniguns, the m79, and automatic weapons that were MENT for long distance shooting (AK-74, AUG).

If this could be reduced, like 50% for 2 screens and over, and maybe 25% for 1 screen, would help alot of the gameplay.

I was testing this on lagrange, with 20 bots vs myself, and I sprayed a minigun, without mods.  Usually you can land about 4-6 kills, but had 0 kills.  They all rushed, then I got about 1 kill before they got me.

Would be nice if the anti-spray system was reduced, or just taken out.

Offline Muse

• Major(1)
Re: Concerning the new "Anti-Spray" system added to 1.4.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 03:21:13 pm »
I agree with this, mainly because of barrets. If you've ever sat up at 3 am playing R/S on lagrange you know how messed up this is.

6th_account

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 03:29:26 pm »
- Modified bullets (except Barrett, M79, LAW, Knife) lose 50% of power after screen distance and another 50% after 2 screens

As for autos not being as effective in long range... that's intended.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 03:30:43 pm »
Spraying is now pointless because of this.  How power is reduced by INSANE levels, 50% for 1 screen and 100% for 2 screens and over.  This degrades lots of CTF weapons, like snipers, miniguns, the m79, and automatic weapons that were MENT for long distance shooting (AK-74, AUG).

There are many things worth complaining about, but this is not one of them. For one, you haven't bothered to read the change log, as you'd know that the Barret, M79, LAW, and knife are not affected by the anti-spray damage degradation system. Secondly, the AK still has longer range, more power and accuracy than, say, the MP5. It's a great feature and one of the standout improvements of 1.4.

Offline Dev1200

• Major
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 06:44:43 pm »
Just saw that, I quickly read it before ^_^

But still, all the automatic weapons are torn down because of this.  Although this is just my opinion, some people like having anti-spray.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 08:08:31 pm »
Spraying is now pointless because of this.
What kind of appeal is this? What if you were an injured flagger taking a tunnel on ctf_Equinox, and you got flippin' killed, and lost a potential cap, because of some completely unskilled n00b spraying a few automatic shots blindly? Spraying was never supposed to exist; the system is brilliant.

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 10:50:09 pm »
I don't quite understand the new system.  "Air resistance" has always caused bullets to slow down over distance... is this just a tweak of that system, or is there a new factor?

Offline fishfood

• Major
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 10:59:35 pm »
(About Keron's post:)
IMO, stuff like this REALLY needs to be server side.  In plenty of realistic, especially Trenchwar, spraying is a perfectly viable tactic.  It's a real military tactic too.  Spray.  In a study done by the US Army in Vietnam in the 60's, sheer number of rounds fired was the only thing that noticeably raised enemy casualties.  And so the order was: "Spray."  Spray your goddamn ass of if it helps your team.  If you're an injured flagger who gets sprayed down, that's part of the game.  The other team gotcha.  Why would you pass up an opportunity to kill an escaping flagger when you can spray him anyways?

I don't get it.  Spray is part of the game, always has, both in our games and our real life conflicts.  I have no clue where you're coming from with that statement.

If this could be reduced, like 50% for 2 screens and over, and maybe 25% for 1 screen, would help alot of the gameplay.
This sounds MUCH more reasonable.
Personally though, I think that the main factor should be bullet speed.  Air resistance slows bullets, as does gravity inevitably pulling the bullet towards the earth.  It should depend on how fast the bullet is going; how much air the bullet has passed through, and thus how far away the enemy is from the gun being fired. 

F3nyx-this is an artificial system where bullet trajectory/speed is not changed, just the damage.  If the enemy is over a screen, damage is halved. 

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 11:14:28 pm »
In this game if you can't see them on screen then you shouldn't shoot them (unless you just saw them run off screen, say).

Now, for all those talking about R/S game modes being affected: Realistic now has it's own weapons.ini so if you want the auto's to be better, edit it.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline chillis34

• Major
    • [FT] Clan Web Site
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 11:17:22 pm »
I don't understand why the mini gun needs to be nerfed again like common take the anti spray off the mini gun that's what the damn thing is made for if i shoot up in the air with a mini gun and i rain down bullets i don't want my bullets doing .5 of what there supposed to do
I am the smartest :D

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 11:42:43 pm »
Dude, it's not an airstrike, no matter what you say. It's a gun, point and shoot. Geez, don't complain if it doesn't work how it shouldn't work. >_<

The system is brilliant.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline chillis34

• Major
    • [FT] Clan Web Site
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 12:14:28 am »
yo have you ever used a real mini gun man? lol its for suppressing fire
I am the smartest :D

Offline fishfood

• Major
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 01:03:35 am »
In this game if you can't see them on screen then you shouldn't shoot them (unless you just saw them run off screen, say).

Now, for all those talking about R/S game modes being affected: Realistic now has it's own weapons.ini so if you want the auto's to be better, edit it.
Yeah, it should be server side at the very least.  I don't know if you can take off this whole feature by just modding the weapons.ini though.  I think it's coded a bit deeper in.

Offline DeMo

• Soldier
  • Stay Metal! \m/
    • Encoder 2002
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 02:10:00 am »
the AK still has longer range, more power and accuracy than, say, the MP5.
Not to mention the selfbink has gone from -40 to -17.
All of the autos had the selfbink decreased... like the old days, you can hold your fire button pressed and have your bullets go straight to the crosshair with minor deviation.

<@Evil-Ville> Expect a picture of Chakra` holding his fleshlight soon!

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 06:27:40 am »
F3nyx-this is an artificial system where bullet trajectory/speed is not changed, just the damage.  If the enemy is over a screen, damage is halved. 

Interesting.  So is the damage halved all of a sudden once the bullet passes the one-screen mark, or is it a gradual decrease?

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 07:10:36 am »
I totaly agree the damage/speed reduce is messed up...
Text goes here...

Offline edak

• Flagrunner
  • AussiEdak
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 08:52:13 am »
I like the new system, spray = bad.

UPDATED 12-Aug-2010 FIXED LINKS!!!!! - 18 Apr 2007 - NOW WITH FULLLY MODDABLE MAP TEXTURES! Modders, further customise your soldat!

Offline Therion

• Major
  • Realism Fetishist
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 09:06:50 am »

IMO, stuff like this REALLY needs to be server side.  In plenty of realistic, especially Trenchwar, spraying is a perfectly viable tactic.  It's a real military tactic too.  Spray.  In a study done by the US Army in Vietnam in the 60's, sheer number of rounds fired was the only thing that noticeably raised enemy casualties.  And so the order was: "Spray."  Spray your goddamn ass of if it helps your team.  If you're an injured flagger who gets sprayed down, that's part of the game.  The other team gotcha.  Why would you pass up an opportunity to kill an escaping flagger when you can spray him anyways?

I don't get it.  Spray is part of the game, always has, both in our games and our real life conflicts.  I have no clue where you're coming from with that statement.
I second that.

Personally though, I think that the main factor should be bullet speed.  Air resistance slows bullets, as does gravity inevitably pulling the bullet towards the earth.  It should depend on how fast the bullet is going; how much air the bullet has passed through, and thus how far away the enemy is from the gun being fired.
I second that. Also, remember about mods.
Could it be turned into a speed degradation system that could be regulated from weapons.ini?
Basically, there would be a slow-down setting - one could make differen't settings for different ammo types.
My DA gallery

"Black, fearsome and grim and mighty Panzer division Marduk rolls over enemy land
Striking hard and fast against your lines We blow your fortress into sand"

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 12:27:35 pm »
spraying sucked to begin with!
There are more people dislike getting killed sprayed than there are people who enjoy spraying - reason enough to fix it!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline AsiAnToFUboY

• Major(1)
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 02:18:54 pm »

IMO, stuff like this REALLY needs to be server side. In plenty of realistic, especially Trenchwar, spraying is a perfectly viable tactic. It's a real military tactic too. Spray. In a study done by the US Army in Vietnam in the 60's, sheer number of rounds fired was the only thing that noticeably raised enemy casualties. And so the order was: "Spray." Spray your goddamn ass of if it helps your team. If you're an injured flagger who gets sprayed down, that's part of the game. The other team gotcha. Why would you pass up an opportunity to kill an escaping flagger when you can spray him anyways?

I don't get it. Spray is part of the game, always has, both in our games and our real life conflicts. I have no clue where you're coming from with that statement.
I second that.

Personally though, I think that the main factor should be bullet speed. Air resistance slows bullets, as does gravity inevitably pulling the bullet towards the earth. It should depend on how fast the bullet is going; how much air the bullet has passed through, and thus how far away the enemy is from the gun being fired.
I second that. Also, remember about mods.
Could it be turned into a speed degradation system that could be regulated from weapons.ini?
Basically, there would be a slow-down setting - one could make differen't settings for different ammo types.

Third that :-D