Author Topic: Concerning the new "Anti-Spray" system added to 1.4.  (Read 5679 times)

Offline Dev1200

• Major
Concerning the new "Anti-Spray" system added to 1.4.
« on: April 29, 2007, 03:17:01 pm »
Spraying is now pointless because of this.  How power is reduced by INSANE levels, 50% for 1 screen and 100% for 2 screens and over.  This degrades lots of CTF weapons, like snipers, miniguns, the m79, and automatic weapons that were MENT for long distance shooting (AK-74, AUG).

If this could be reduced, like 50% for 2 screens and over, and maybe 25% for 1 screen, would help alot of the gameplay.

I was testing this on lagrange, with 20 bots vs myself, and I sprayed a minigun, without mods.  Usually you can land about 4-6 kills, but had 0 kills.  They all rushed, then I got about 1 kill before they got me.

Would be nice if the anti-spray system was reduced, or just taken out.

Offline Muse

• Major(1)
Re: Concerning the new "Anti-Spray" system added to 1.4.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 03:21:13 pm »
I agree with this, mainly because of barrets. If you've ever sat up at 3 am playing R/S on lagrange you know how messed up this is.

6th_account

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 03:29:26 pm »
- Modified bullets (except Barrett, M79, LAW, Knife) lose 50% of power after screen distance and another 50% after 2 screens

As for autos not being as effective in long range... that's intended.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 03:30:43 pm »
Spraying is now pointless because of this.  How power is reduced by INSANE levels, 50% for 1 screen and 100% for 2 screens and over.  This degrades lots of CTF weapons, like snipers, miniguns, the m79, and automatic weapons that were MENT for long distance shooting (AK-74, AUG).

There are many things worth complaining about, but this is not one of them. For one, you haven't bothered to read the change log, as you'd know that the Barret, M79, LAW, and knife are not affected by the anti-spray damage degradation system. Secondly, the AK still has longer range, more power and accuracy than, say, the MP5. It's a great feature and one of the standout improvements of 1.4.

Offline Dev1200

• Major
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 06:44:43 pm »
Just saw that, I quickly read it before ^_^

But still, all the automatic weapons are torn down because of this.  Although this is just my opinion, some people like having anti-spray.

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 08:08:31 pm »
Spraying is now pointless because of this.
What kind of appeal is this? What if you were an injured flagger taking a tunnel on ctf_Equinox, and you got flippin' killed, and lost a potential cap, because of some completely unskilled n00b spraying a few automatic shots blindly? Spraying was never supposed to exist; the system is brilliant.

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 10:50:09 pm »
I don't quite understand the new system.  "Air resistance" has always caused bullets to slow down over distance... is this just a tweak of that system, or is there a new factor?

Offline fishfood

• Major
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 10:59:35 pm »
(About Keron's post:)
IMO, stuff like this REALLY needs to be server side.  In plenty of realistic, especially Trenchwar, spraying is a perfectly viable tactic.  It's a real military tactic too.  Spray.  In a study done by the US Army in Vietnam in the 60's, sheer number of rounds fired was the only thing that noticeably raised enemy casualties.  And so the order was: "Spray."  Spray your goddamn ass of if it helps your team.  If you're an injured flagger who gets sprayed down, that's part of the game.  The other team gotcha.  Why would you pass up an opportunity to kill an escaping flagger when you can spray him anyways?

I don't get it.  Spray is part of the game, always has, both in our games and our real life conflicts.  I have no clue where you're coming from with that statement.

If this could be reduced, like 50% for 2 screens and over, and maybe 25% for 1 screen, would help alot of the gameplay.
This sounds MUCH more reasonable.
Personally though, I think that the main factor should be bullet speed.  Air resistance slows bullets, as does gravity inevitably pulling the bullet towards the earth.  It should depend on how fast the bullet is going; how much air the bullet has passed through, and thus how far away the enemy is from the gun being fired. 

F3nyx-this is an artificial system where bullet trajectory/speed is not changed, just the damage.  If the enemy is over a screen, damage is halved. 

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 11:14:28 pm »
In this game if you can't see them on screen then you shouldn't shoot them (unless you just saw them run off screen, say).

Now, for all those talking about R/S game modes being affected: Realistic now has it's own weapons.ini so if you want the auto's to be better, edit it.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline chillis34

• Major
    • [FT] Clan Web Site
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 11:17:22 pm »
I don't understand why the mini gun needs to be nerfed again like common take the anti spray off the mini gun that's what the damn thing is made for if i shoot up in the air with a mini gun and i rain down bullets i don't want my bullets doing .5 of what there supposed to do
I am the smartest :D

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 11:42:43 pm »
Dude, it's not an airstrike, no matter what you say. It's a gun, point and shoot. Geez, don't complain if it doesn't work how it shouldn't work. >_<

The system is brilliant.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline chillis34

• Major
    • [FT] Clan Web Site
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 12:14:28 am »
yo have you ever used a real mini gun man? lol its for suppressing fire

Offline fishfood

• Major
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 01:03:35 am »
In this game if you can't see them on screen then you shouldn't shoot them (unless you just saw them run off screen, say).

Now, for all those talking about R/S game modes being affected: Realistic now has it's own weapons.ini so if you want the auto's to be better, edit it.
Yeah, it should be server side at the very least.  I don't know if you can take off this whole feature by just modding the weapons.ini though.  I think it's coded a bit deeper in.

Offline DeMo

• Soldier
  • Stay Metal! \m/
    • Encoder 2002
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 02:10:00 am »
the AK still has longer range, more power and accuracy than, say, the MP5.
Not to mention the selfbink has gone from -40 to -17.
All of the autos had the selfbink decreased... like the old days, you can hold your fire button pressed and have your bullets go straight to the crosshair with minor deviation.

<@Evil-Ville> Expect a picture of Chakra` holding his fleshlight soon!

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 06:27:40 am »
F3nyx-this is an artificial system where bullet trajectory/speed is not changed, just the damage.  If the enemy is over a screen, damage is halved. 

Interesting.  So is the damage halved all of a sudden once the bullet passes the one-screen mark, or is it a gradual decrease?

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 07:10:36 am »
I totaly agree the damage/speed reduce is messed up...
Text goes here...

Offline edak

• Flagrunner
  • AussiEdak
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 08:52:13 am »
I like the new system, spray = bad.

UPDATED 12-Aug-2010 FIXED LINKS!!!!! - 18 Apr 2007 - NOW WITH FULLLY MODDABLE MAP TEXTURES! Modders, further customise your soldat!

Offline Therion

• Major
  • Realism Fetishist
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 09:06:50 am »

IMO, stuff like this REALLY needs to be server side.  In plenty of realistic, especially Trenchwar, spraying is a perfectly viable tactic.  It's a real military tactic too.  Spray.  In a study done by the US Army in Vietnam in the 60's, sheer number of rounds fired was the only thing that noticeably raised enemy casualties.  And so the order was: "Spray."  Spray your goddamn ass of if it helps your team.  If you're an injured flagger who gets sprayed down, that's part of the game.  The other team gotcha.  Why would you pass up an opportunity to kill an escaping flagger when you can spray him anyways?

I don't get it.  Spray is part of the game, always has, both in our games and our real life conflicts.  I have no clue where you're coming from with that statement.
I second that.

Personally though, I think that the main factor should be bullet speed.  Air resistance slows bullets, as does gravity inevitably pulling the bullet towards the earth.  It should depend on how fast the bullet is going; how much air the bullet has passed through, and thus how far away the enemy is from the gun being fired.
I second that. Also, remember about mods.
Could it be turned into a speed degradation system that could be regulated from weapons.ini?
Basically, there would be a slow-down setting - one could make differen't settings for different ammo types.
My DA gallery

"Black, fearsome and grim and mighty Panzer division Marduk rolls over enemy land
Striking hard and fast against your lines We blow your fortress into sand"

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 12:27:35 pm »
spraying sucked to begin with!
There are more people dislike getting killed sprayed than there are people who enjoy spraying - reason enough to fix it!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline AsiAnToFUboY

• Major(1)
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 02:18:54 pm »

IMO, stuff like this REALLY needs to be server side. In plenty of realistic, especially Trenchwar, spraying is a perfectly viable tactic. It's a real military tactic too. Spray. In a study done by the US Army in Vietnam in the 60's, sheer number of rounds fired was the only thing that noticeably raised enemy casualties. And so the order was: "Spray." Spray your goddamn ass of if it helps your team. If you're an injured flagger who gets sprayed down, that's part of the game. The other team gotcha. Why would you pass up an opportunity to kill an escaping flagger when you can spray him anyways?

I don't get it. Spray is part of the game, always has, both in our games and our real life conflicts. I have no clue where you're coming from with that statement.
I second that.

Personally though, I think that the main factor should be bullet speed. Air resistance slows bullets, as does gravity inevitably pulling the bullet towards the earth. It should depend on how fast the bullet is going; how much air the bullet has passed through, and thus how far away the enemy is from the gun being fired.
I second that. Also, remember about mods.
Could it be turned into a speed degradation system that could be regulated from weapons.ini?
Basically, there would be a slow-down setting - one could make differen't settings for different ammo types.

Third that :-D

Offline Nfsjunkie91

• Camper
  • Just what I needed. A box of sh-t.
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 02:50:35 pm »
yo have you ever used a real mini gun man?

Have you?

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 03:08:58 pm »
Haha.

Sit around children: I will tell you a story. A story set in a time after 1.2.1, when the era of automatics began: the bink factor was introduced, and people started a new tactic, called 'Spraying'. Spraying was done by two or more players with automatics, completely hailing a route of a map with bullets, shredding all opposition easily, without any real effort.

Spraying was labeled lame, and continued to scourge Soldat for versions long: people who practiced it eventually became the best players out there, who couldn't be stopped, with the phenomenon bursting into the Soldat World Cup, where a band of previously noname players, the Slovakian united sprayed their way into the finals, only getting out-warped and sprayed narrowly by Poland.

This time, we beta testers thought otherwise: spraying had to come to an end. The sole reigning of teamed-up automatics is over, as the new balance and anti spray allows other gun users to stand up against such lame behaviour.

But spraying isn't gone children, oh no. It just takes effort now. You can still shred the enemy from afar, either with your teammate or alone: it just takes practice and skill now. How do I know this? I'm a sprayer myself. I've always been, deep down in my heart, and later on, carrying the name with full chest.

Or in short: if you can't spray, you seriously suck.

Offline chillis34

• Major
    • [FT] Clan Web Site
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 05:30:21 pm »
actualy yes ive fire a few rounds out of a helicopter small mini gun but it was a mini gun my dads in the army and i got to shoot targets the kickback is extream

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 06:56:10 pm »
... sheer number of rounds fired was the only thing that noticeably raised enemy casualties.  And so the order was: "Spray."  Spray your goddamn ass of if it helps your team.  If you're an injured flagger who gets sprayed down, that's part of the game.  The other team gotcha.  Why would you pass up an opportunity to kill an escaping flagger when you can spray him anyways?
Why? Soldat is not real life military. Soldat may be about tactics but it is also about SKILL. Spraying takes NO skill at all and is totally lame. If you do not believe me, explain this:
yo have you ever used a real mini gun man? lol its for suppressing fire
... and then, go explain why servers disable the Minigun. Eh?

Balance is more important than real-world statistical accuracy.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 07:11:24 pm »
The minigun isn't balenced right.

Suggestions:
Make it so that you can only fire it crouched or prone.
Increase Damage.
Reduce rate of fire.
Increase accuracy.
Reduce selfbink.
Give it a TINY bit of recoil in normal (because, although you are crouched/proned, as chills said, "The kickback is extream"), but keep the same in realistic.

This would make it easier and harder to use at the same time, enough to balance it out.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline chillis34

• Major
    • [FT] Clan Web Site
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 08:48:12 pm »
mxy i love your idea it would give it the fire power it needs plus it would make the user vulnerable anotherthing to good idea would be less prepulsion i dont remember when shooting the mini gun the heli being pushed by it

Offline Monkeyspank

• Major(1)
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 09:04:15 pm »
I agree it looses too much power. this makes it no reason to choose AK over mp5 for example

Offline fishfood

• Major
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 09:19:48 pm »
Servers disable the minigun because it lags when it's default.  You can barely spray with the Minigun anyways, too much bink.  The Minimi is much more effective spray gun.

I don't even know how to argue your other points, they're so mundane.

Offline valion

• Soldier
  • you may run, you may hide. but still he comes
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 05:26:38 am »
i think it should be less sevier, for some game types spraying comes in handy (zombie and Inf). it keeps peoples heads down and cuts up bots. but now everyone just walks through it. if your good with a ruger you predict enemy movements when off the screen allowing you to bring down an EFC just in time, but now the bullets do frak all after going a screens length.
Your signature is too big, please read the rules. Keep it under 4 lines of text.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 09:14:00 am »
I like the new system... I use Styer, DEagles, Ak, Barret<T>, Ruger ... I usually "sprayed" enemy base, which causes a lot of whine <and kicks :D> Now spraying is toned down, still useful, but not as annoying as it was before.

Anti Spray ROX

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2007, 03:39:25 pm »
I'm going to stick with my normal arguement. Spraying "problems" are caused by bad map design, and bink. The actual power of the auto shouldn't decrease over distance. Just it's bink. It's unfortunate that a lot of default maps are really not good maps at all. Automatics are for longer range shooting, their power shouldn't be degraded to do this.

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 03:57:53 pm »
Spraying isnt so bad in this version just a little different.  And (like camping) its always gonna be around.  But do you know why?  Becuase its an effective way to pin down your enemy and wounding countless "rushers" (who, by the way, are the real noobs of the game.)

So, in conclusion, spraying may be "lame" but youll only let the sprayers know there "lame" when theyve killed u from afar.  Which i think was there plan all along.
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2007, 04:23:05 pm »

Imagine the posibilites with that. With negative values you could make it so the bullets get more damage over time, similiar as to how the healing with negative values work.

Offline InstaJip

• Major(1)
  • Its the, APOCALYPSE!
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2007, 06:48:28 pm »
I would take realism over balance any day. Plus the balance is bad in the first place, lol. But this is online so balance is a must. :P

Yeah disble minigun if you want it to go, bye but its for spraying, simple as that, and it so far is not.(In Soldat.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:50:34 pm by InstaJip »

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2007, 10:01:05 pm »
Repeating this question cause nobody seems to know:

Does damage go instantly from 100% to %50 once the bullet passes the one-screen-width mark, or is it a gradual change?

6th_account

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2007, 10:11:17 pm »
Instantly, else it would change too much.

Offline Atomic Hype

• Major
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2007, 08:35:45 pm »
Spraying is now pointless because of this.  How power is reduced by INSANE levels, 50% for 1 screen and 100% for 2 screens and over.
Don't feel like reading this thread, but two screens takes 50% of the 50%.

So it's more like you're only doing 1/4th of the damage two screens away.
War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 02:42:32 am »
Instantly, else it would change too much.

It'd be pretty strange if the bullet went from doing full damage one instant, to only half as much the next instant.  A gradual reduction would be far more consistent.

You could create an exponential equation for bullet damage reduction so that it would do 50% damage at one screen, and 25% at two screens.  I don't know if MM did this or not, but it would be quite easy:

Code: [Select]
damage(final) = damage(initial) * 0.5 ^ (% of screen-width traveled)

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2007, 07:46:27 pm »
Read the Soldat Wiki.

http://wiki.soldat.nl/Spraying

Well, the old article said what I want to say.

Spraying doesn't need to be removed. It's part of the game, and I don't mind being killed by it, because it's a fair tactic.

It is balanced like this: You have the chance of damaging the enemy before they get to you, and therefore having a better chance when they come closer. You can also keep them behind cover so your buddies can rush.
When opposing it: The sprayer's position becomes EXTREMELY obvious. Therefore, a good Barretter can take him out without even using the scope. Also, if you're in a tunnel, just get out of there. Don't try going down a route where a sprayer is, if it's a tunnel. Rather, try to sneak up behind him, if it's possible. Or, have a buddy create a distraction for you, and eliminate him.
It's a completely fair tactic. It's also useful. However, it does leave you vulnerable. VERY vulnerable. Because the other team now knows where you are. That=BAD.

I'd rather have the anti-spray thing decreased, or removed altogether.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2007, 06:11:52 pm »
Spray is part of the game. I have never seen player with good spraying skill that didn't like it... The problem here isn't spray, the problem is that default maps are highly unbalanced. Usually there is no cover like in that tunnel on Equinox, or huge vacuum like on b2b or Equinox... no place to hide, no chance to avoid spray. Stupid small crates are only used for nade-jumps... Example of how this could be solved: lower tunnel on ctf Provance - it isn't straight like guts, and it has some working anti-spray cover. The amount of anti-spray measures is ridiculous... Long range spray weapons like minimi or Styer lost a lot of their individuality... Now even in realistic you can stand under the rain of bullets without getting any considerable damage... Ec servers stats show that new anti-spray measures are really too large. Highly balanced tw maps show how various gameplay can be, not just stupid rushing forward and shooting enemy in the face... If spray was balanced on defalut maps it didn't cause so many wrangles...
I think lowering of bullet speed is enough...
Well if all other measures will be still kept it would be nice to have option to tune them...

Spraying is now pointless because of this.
What kind of appeal is this? What if you were an injured flagger taking a tunnel on ctf_Equinox, and you got flippin' killed, and lost a potential cap, because of some completely unskilled n00b spraying a few automatic shots blindly? Spraying was never supposed to exist; the system is brilliant.
This is typical noobish whining... Good player should say *I didn't  dodge it*... 0 respect for Keron from now on...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 06:18:08 pm by VirtualTT »

Offline Dev1200

• Major
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2007, 07:18:34 pm »
Concerning chillis34 about him actually "shooting a minigun"

actualy yes ive fire a few rounds out of a helicopter small mini gun but it was a mini gun my dads in the army and i got to shoot targets the kickback is extream

Right..  I wasn't aware that the army had a "take your son in a helicopter and let him fire a minigun randomly" day..

Anyway, I see your point about how it sucks, but think S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  You shoot randomly at where a sniper is (say you just saw one), and you shoot at that spot so that he doesn't snipe you.  It's called cover fire..  I am completely aware that this isn't stalker, I'm just trying to give you an idea ;]

Also, miniguns are really tuned down because of this, as I said before.  In trenchwar, the minigun is pure suppressing fire.  You can't really go up to someone and shoot them.. unless your 1337 ;]

« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 07:20:17 pm by Dev1200 »