Author Topic: Idea for typekilling...  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
Idea for typekilling...
« on: June 29, 2006, 10:27:50 pm »
I know we're not supposed to talk too much during a game, but sometimes it's necessary for Ctfs like "Efc low!" "Ffc high!" etc. It's a little irritating when someone gets a type kill during that few seconds you stopped. What I suggest is that whenever you hit the chat button, you become invulnerable. You already can't move or do anything when you're talking, yet you can still be damaged. If you become invulnerable, it will balance it out a little because then no one will get a cheap kill. You still can't move or attack while chatting, though. Now, there might be people who will abuse it and just hit the chat button while holding a flag until their teammates come around and help them back to the base. To prevent this, my suggestion above stays, but you will be vulnerable while chatting whenever you're holding a flag. What do you guys think?

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
Re: Idea for typekilling...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 10:40:06 pm »
Are you out of your mind?
THINK!
ctf, both teams have flag, you go in try to get your flag safe whiel the ffc is in ur base.  You see an enemy with barret and press the chat button just as he shoots you.  You don't die and are able to immediately attack back.  It gives you such an unfair advantage.
Quote this:  "If you want to help out your team by telling where the EFC is you do it at YOUR OWN RISK!"

sry for seemingly flaming you but this is just a stupid and too simple-minded idea!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 10:46:33 pm »
Are you out of your mind?
THINK!
ctf, both teams have flag, you go in try to get your flag safe whiel the ffc is in ur base.  You see an enemy with barret and press the chat button just as he shoots you.  You don't die and are able to immediately attack back.  It gives you such an unfair advantage.
Quote this:  "If you want to help out your team by telling where the EFC is you do it at YOUR OWN RISK!"

sry for seemingly flaming you but this is just a stupid and too simple-minded idea!

^^^^^ Ditto, but nicer

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 10:48:33 pm »
I must, really must agree with zyx.

This seems so retarded.  You stated yourself that this idea will be abused because it gives invincibility to those who are chatting.  So why bother suggesting it when you know there's a very huge downside to it?

Durr!

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 10:53:12 pm »
It does need a little tweaking for fairness, yes, but "Are you out of your mind? THINK!" is a little unnecessary. As is "This seems so retarted" There are other suggestions for vehicles, new gamemodes, etc. that are all eithier repeated too much, or other stuff like that, yet, my suggestion, that could still be tweaked, gets flamed? >.>

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 11:56:31 pm »
...i guess sry for total flamage...
The problem is that if you really think it through, you realize that there's no level at which you can achieve the balance between 'less consequences for typing' and 'fairness'.  The is only one possible solution to make typers less likely to die (this feature is used in Jedi Knights:  Outkast) - when typing, a symbol appears over the person's head indicating he's typing.  This, however, will ruin the game play (even if only to a small extent) and thus won't be implemented.  Let's just stick with the way it's now!

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 12:28:53 am »
i would just grab the flag and everytime i was under fire, i would hit the chat button until my team cleared out the badguys lol
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 01:03:07 am »
Stupidest idea ever... OH MY HERE COMES A BARRETARD, *presses chat button*......... *5 mins later*....... *barretard runs away*......YAY IM CLEAR

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 01:30:09 am »
Twistkill, I'm sure you get the idea by now, but the quick solution would be to use taunts.  Just download this taunt editor, unzip it to your soldat folder, and change your taunts to whatever you want.  Alt + any letter will trigger them when you play.

zyxstand, that doesn't ruin the gameplay.  I've seen it work in other shooters and people tend to give others who are typing a decent chance to fight back.  At the very least, it gives the opposite team the advantage because they can see who isn't able to fight at the moment and aim for other players.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Krillious

• Camper
  • If you were a hindu I could aim for the dot
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 01:35:35 am »
If some chat thing were to be implemented it would just be a bubble above your head and no invincibility so that players can see you are chatting and maybe not shoot you if they have a heart ;) (actually that might make people shoot you more <.<)

Meh, like VijchtiDoodah said, you should use taunts anyway for EFC/FFC stuff

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 02:31:29 am »
If some chat thing were to be implemented it would just be a bubble above your head and no invincibility so that players can see you are chatting and maybe not shoot you if they have a heart ;) (actually that might make people shoot you more <.<)

I actually like this idea. It'll help give you a sense if someone is paying attention, AFK, or otherwise while typing, and it seems easy enough to implement. Of course, typing really shouldn't take more than a second or two, and the text you submit does appear over your head. No idea why it is that enemies are allowed to see private messages, but, whatever, it's there.

Meh, like VijchtiDoodah said, you should use taunts anyway for EFC/FFC stuff

I never have a problem getting in an "efc high" so it doesn't interrupt the action. I can never sort through the function keys quickly enough to spit out the message faster than I could write it. :P

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 03:59:27 am »
I was on my way here to repost the bubble-over-head idea as well.

Offline Stalky

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 05:37:41 am »
If any solution for chatkilling was to be implemented, I'd hope it was the speech bubble.

Offline viggoloniggolo

• Camper
  • maplord
    • Soldat Mappers League
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 06:39:51 am »
how about when you type you get a chatting sign upon your head so ppl know your typing

*OR as soon as you have typed atleast 5 letters you get status"chat" and have a vest while your typing so you get less damage, when you finish vest disappears

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 07:46:19 am »
how about when you type you get a chatting sign upon your head so ppl know your typing

*OR as soon as you have typed atleast 5 letters you get status"chat" and have a vest while your typing so you get less damage, when you finish vest disappears

thnx, that's totally not what i just said before (READ REPLIES)

zyxstand, that doesn't ruin the gameplay. I've seen it work in other shooters and people tend to give others who are typing a decent chance to fight back. At the very least, it gives the opposite team the advantage because they can see who isn't able to fight at the moment and aim for other players.

It works in other games because you cannot hide well in 3D games.  Also, generally if your chatting symbol is seen in 3D games, the player is also visible.  In soldat, if you hide and you're getting a message ready (typing it up) and waiting to hit the enter key as soon as you want to make a run (right when you uncover your position) the enemy will know where you are.
If you want to say "then you should have the option of turning it on or off" then it'll mess-up the gameplay even more.
In addition, people will begin to abuse it cuz they are able to look around while typing - when person A types and nice person B comes along and decides not to type-shoot him, person A suddenly attacks B and wasn't typing at all.  Now you're going to say "that's B's fault for being nice" - in that case let it be done like it's now where it's generally not so hard to tell when a person is typing.
lol sry for long explanation but I still believe that you should chat at your own risk.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 07:47:42 am »
This topic really doesn't have a need for further replies, and anyone that would reply more would just be saying the same thing over and over.