Author Topic: Classic Mode vs. New Mode  (Read 3938 times)

Offline {depth}shaman

• Soldier
  • I'm Warning lvl 1! So i suggest you lay low
Classic Mode vs. New Mode
« on: April 30, 2007, 08:06:47 pm »
Aright. Check it out. Right now I'm endorsing this as nessacary for the patch coming out to fix the bugs. Its simple. under options there will be a box you can check. Toggling it would switch between the new text and bullet images and the old ones. It would keep all the physics and what not; it would simply change the look of soldat from the old version to the new version.

I know that at this point it is possible to completely modify it between the two versions by replacing image files in the folders and what not, but its honestly a hassle and most soldat players don't know how to mess with that stuff, and the ones who never go on the forums will never know its even possible.

Some more of my arguements:
1) clan matches could choose to enable the new or the old. It does take more skill to play with harder to see bullets.

2) A lot of people find the new bullets rather unnatractive, including myself. I'm really good at picking out which bullets are from which guns. And right now, they honestly look like lasers to me. I'm also not fond of the grenade tails.

3) this way it'll be easier to attract new players because with two interfaces, there's double the chance they'll stick around.

4) It'll be more fun to switch between the two. Today i feel like looking at....

Please drop a comment.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 10:21:12 pm by VijchtiDoodah »
Life's like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit goes down with each bite.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
Re: CLASSIC MODE VS NEW MODE
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:33:58 pm »
Good Idea.

This would be good, for sure. Right now, I'm getting used to the new ones, but this option would be useful.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline n0fx

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 08:35:50 pm »
or YOU can simply do a mod of 131 weaps ? :o

//EDIT//

just paste the folder at soldat/mods/ and use the soldat/start.exe to play with the 131 bullets ^^

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 08:44:38 pm by n0fx »

Offline Monkeyspank

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 09:01:39 pm »
it is a nice idea for those who dont like the new version graphics, but I would never use that option :)

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 09:47:42 pm »
Completely pointless? People would just mod their original weapon graphics to be easier to see anyway.  They could and were before 1.4, but no one complained because their was, and IS, nothing you can do about it (unless they're larger than 64x64, since the update)
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 09:56:35 pm »
I like it, but really, you can mod it fairly easilly.
In classic mode the minimap should be off and the weapons should be reset back to 1.3.1 :O

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 10:20:43 pm »
Please do not post thread titles in all caps.  I think you'll agree that it looks better after the edit, yes?

As for Classic Mode, there doesn't seem to be much point.  You can manually alter these things yourself if you want, otherwise you can roll with the waves and deal with the changes that come.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline {depth}shaman

• Soldier
Re: Classic Mode vs. New Mode
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 10:24:44 pm »
i just think that people who come into soldat in the future or players who upgraded to 1.4 but don't attend the forums, deserve to know somehow that they can switch between the two. Right now go into any pub and you can seriously hear the grumbling. Half really like it. Another half don't. To each his own. I just don't want the old bullets to disapear any time soon, and think it would help to preserve them if it was built into the original download.
Life's like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit goes down with each bite.

Offline Ervis

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 04:28:44 pm »
Since this is a topic I was going to adress, and you guys are mentioning modding the 1.31 weapon gfx, can you post the steps down for me please? It would be a big help, since I can barely aim now  :'(

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 06:48:45 pm »
All you have to do is open up the graphics pertaining to ..\Soldat\weapons-gfx in Paint and edit the bullet pictures. Surely you know at least how to work with one or two rows of pixels :D

Offline Ervis

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 06:59:40 pm »
That has no affect........

Offline {depth}shaman

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 09:31:29 pm »
go here ervis http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=13553.0
dl the file. remove the right files from you soldat weapons-gfx folder, and paste these in.

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 11:05:21 pm »
Well, sure, if it would stop people grumbling about the new bullets. I really like them (you just have to use them for a while), so changing back would be sad.
Then again, if people remain using the old ones they will never get used to the new ones, which would be a real shame.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 03:07:53 pm »
With the new 1.4 mod manager, mod managing is EASY! Someone just needs to make the mod first. Ah snap.

Offline n0fx

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 04:00:02 pm »
or YOU can simply do a mod of 131 weaps ? :o

//EDIT//

just paste the folder at soldat/mods/ and use the soldat/start.exe to play with the 131 bullets ^^

dont read just the first and the last comment :o
the file its attached on my other reply !!! scrool up

Offline Therion

• Major
  • Realism Fetishist
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 04:47:26 pm »
Then again, if people remain using the old ones they will never get used to the new ones, which would be a real shame.
Why do you assume that not getting used to the new bullets would be a real shame?
My DA gallery

"Black, fearsome and grim and mighty Panzer division Marduk rolls over enemy land
Striking hard and fast against your lines We blow your fortress into sand"

Offline valion

• Soldier
  • you may run, you may hide. but still he comes
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 05:20:45 am »
i like most of the new version graphics except the bullets. they're just too obvius (and fat). id only want to change the bullets 'cause now im almost always spotting them before they hit and moving which gets rid of the realism of it.
Your signature is too big, please read the rules. Keep it under 4 lines of text.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 09:04:20 am »
i like most of the new version graphics except the bullets. they're just too obvius (and fat). id only want to change the bullets 'cause now im almost always spotting them before they hit and moving which gets rid of the realism of it.
MOD THEM, MOD THEM, MOD THEM .
Damn, if I'll see more posts like this, I'll do a "How to bring 1.3.1 bullets and text back" manual ...

EDIT:
ontop: It's not a good idea ... ppl will have to download additonal gfx.

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 09:35:09 am »
Well, the original was a bit...well....

This would be a good option. I enjoy both looks. I'd just randomly switch between the two.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline JaKe

• Major(1)
  • JaKe-AFC.net
    • AFC
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 12:50:49 pm »
i quote, that originally was also an idea of mine XD
btw, new bullets-trails are not good for me. So i modded it back to olde version. But maybe many players don't want to do that, because they don't want to make a mess with game files folder.

Simply, add an \oldstyla folder in \weapons-gfx, olde gfx, menu option, and 10 kb more of final setup file... :)

Offline Therion

• Major
  • Realism Fetishist
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 01:17:52 pm »
I don't get it. People didn't see the old bullets? I don't recall a single situation when I didn't see them.
My DA gallery

"Black, fearsome and grim and mighty Panzer division Marduk rolls over enemy land
Striking hard and fast against your lines We blow your fortress into sand"

Offline valion

• Soldier
  • you may run, you may hide. but still he comes
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 04:19:19 pm »
i ment that before if you werent paying a atention to what was going on, then you couldnt spot a bullet. now tho they might as well wave a neon sign saying "dodge me"
Your signature is too big, please read the rules. Keep it under 4 lines of text.

Offline Blade

• Major(1)
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 04:50:37 pm »
People need to suck it up and adapt...otherwise every new version we'll have on of these options...

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 03:30:47 pm »
USE THE MOD MANAGER. IT IS YOUR FRIEND. THEN YOU DON'T MAKE A MESS OF YOUR FOLDER. Jeez.