Author Topic: PolygonSight = 0/1  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
PolygonSight = 0/1
« on: May 02, 2007, 05:44:32 pm »
One of the major benefits of realistic mode and thing I really enjoy is the line of sight feature. I still would love to see this as a separate server-side option and not strictly attached to realistic, but I digress. :)

I would further love to see another vision impacting option called PolygonSight or somesuch. The idea is that a player cannot see anyone behind a polygon until he himself is behind one as well, at which point he can only view players behind polygons and those not behind them remain invisible no matter what.

This would be fantastic for buildings, especially coupled with the current realistic line-of-sight option and alpha transparent polygons. Of course it would be up to the map maker to ensure that the map works within the options -- it'd be silly for a person outside the building to be able to view inside a building due to sneaking behind some "doesn't collide" polygons a screen away. With proper usage and spacing, I think this could be a boon to R/S type games and add a greater strategy element.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
Re: PolygonSight = 0/1
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 10:05:36 pm »
this idea was out way in the early days.
If I get you straight then it seems u want there to be invisible polygons that block line-of-sight?
Kinda creepy to play like that if you dunno where these polygons are...  It would screw up many people though.  I'm gonna have to hear more suggestion or get a better understanding to make a final decision.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 11:45:07 pm »
Not invisible polygons.  Read the last paragraph carefully.  I think it's a great idea.

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 01:08:20 am »
Wait, WTH? Being "behind" a poly make you able to see stuff? That's...That's dumb if I read you right. Not being able to see through walls I can handle.
Or wait...Do you mean "behind" as in behind from the player's perspective or the soldaten's perspective?
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 03:49:21 am »
Like this...

Would not require a new polygon type, since I know that won't happen per the whole "map format will never change" thing.

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:14:39 pm »
Oh. Nice graphic there ;)
Yeah, I get you now, and support. But I think that it would need some new map formatting and thus wouldn't get in. I don't actually know though so it could happen.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 10:30:45 am »
so you're saying that when you're in this polygon you can see everyone else in that polygon - so you would put it over a building and when you're in it you can't see anything outside unless it's in your normal line of sight (i assume)?
And as in your picture even boxes (and possibly weapons) would be invisible unless you're in the building?
You really need to explain more explicitly what you're talking about because it's got me (and another person I see) confused.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 10:45:35 am »
so you're saying that when you're in this polygon you can see everyone else in that polygon - so you would put it over a building and when you're in it you can't see anything outside unless it's in your normal line of sight (i assume)?

What's behind a polygon (player/bonuses) are only visible when your character is behind a polygon. What's not behind a polygon is only visible when your character is not covered by a polygon. Come on... It's not that difficult. :P

Offline Pyroguy

• Camper
  • Torch it.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 03:20:42 pm »
Erm... you don't use a polygon to cover up buildings, you use scenery... Actual map polygons have the highest draw priority (besides front-based scenery), and so, soldats and grenades are drawn behind them; i.e., they always "hide" people. Except for the flag. Although it would be good if no player/no bullet collided stuff is see through on realistic.

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 10:45:17 pm »
I support this. It's almost like X-Ray vision....sort of.

I'd love it.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!