Author Topic: Catastrophic Hardware Failure - Going to Chicago  (Read 27351 times)

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Catastrophic Hardware Failure - Going to Chicago
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2007, 12:00:50 am »
Holy shit.

Corsair already fucked up by not sending the part out Thursday like they promised they would. 

I called today to sort this out.  They said they were about 5 minutes away from sending it out.  This was already a huge problem because the office they were shipping to is closed on Saturdays.  So,  I was going to sit outside the office door and meet the UPS guy, then take the RAM to the datacenter and install it some time mid-day tomorrow.  I finally settled on this and had accepted it as "the way things had to be"

I just got home from everything I was doing today.  I checked my e-mail and saw this:

To read this message in English, click here.

***Senden Sie keine Antwort auf diese E-Mail. UPS und CORSAIR MEMORY werden die Antwort nicht erhalten.

Diese Mitteilung wird Ihnen auf Ersuchen von CORSAIR MEMORY geschickt, um Sie darüber zu unterrichten, dass die nachstehenden Paketinformationen an UPS übermittelt wurden. Dies bedeutet nicht notwendigerweise, dass das Paket bzw. die Pakete UPS zum Zwecke der Versendung bereits überlassen wurde bzw. wurden. Um zu überprüfen, ob - und wenn ja - wann die Sendung UPS übergeben wurde und wie der aktuelle Versandstatus ist, klicken Sie bitte auf den nachstehenden Link zur Sendungsverfolgung oder setzen sich direkt mit der Firma CORSAIR MEMORY in Verbindung.

Wichtige Zustellinformationen

Geplante Zustellung: 07-Mai-2007

Sendungsdetails
Empfänger:
ryan rawdon
Lessingstrasse 14
Rodgau
DE

Anzahl der Pakete   1
UPS Serviceart:   EXPRESS
Gewicht:   1,2 LBS

Kontrollnummer:   1Z966E656665813811
Rechnungsnummer:   216180

Klicken Sie hier, um zu überprüfen, ob UPS Ihre Sendung empfangen hat, oder besuchen Sie die Site
http://www.ups.com/WebTracking/track?loc=de_DE im Internet.

Diese E-Mail enthält geschützte Informationen und ist möglicherweise vertraulich. Sollten Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein, wird Ihnen hiermit mitgeteilt, dass jegliches Weiterleiten, Verteilen oder Kopieren dieser Nachricht untersagt ist. Haben Sie diese Nachricht irrtümlich empfangen, löschen Sie sie bitte umgehend.

Diese E-Mail wurde auf Veranlassung des Versenders vom UPS E-Mail-Service automatisch generiert. Antworten auf diese E-Mail werden weder von UPS noch vom Versender empfangen. Bitte wenden Sie sich direkt an den Versender, wenn Sie Fragen zu der hier aufgeführten Sendung haben oder diese Benachrichtigungen in Zukunft nicht mehr erhalten wollen.

***Do not reply to this e-mail. UPS and CORSAIR MEMORY will not receive your reply.

This message was sent to you at the request of CORSAIR MEMORY to notify you that the package information below has been transmitted to UPS. The package(s) may not have actually been placed with UPS for shipment. To verify when and if the shipment was tendered to UPS and its actual transit status, click on the tracking link below or contact CORSAIR MEMORY directly.

Important Delivery Information

Scheduled Delivery: 07-May-2007

Shipment Detail
Ship To:
ryan rawdon
Lessingstrasse 14
Rodgau
DE

Number of Packages   1
UPS Service:   EXPRESS
Weight:   1,2 LBS

Tracking Number:   1Z966E656665813811
Invoice Number:   216180

Click here to track if UPS has received your shipment or visit
http://www.ups.com/WebTracking/track?loc=en_DE on the Internet.

This e-mail contains proprietary information and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it immediately.

This e-mail was automatically generated by UPS e-mail services at the shipper's request. Any reply to this e-mail will not be received by UPS or the shipper. Please contact the shipper directly if you have questions regarding the referenced shipment or you wish to discontinue this notification service.

____28nKnn2K80Xfem____

Notice that it is in German, and it says that my stuff was being shipped to Germany... NOT Chicago.

I'm going to have a very interesting time dealing with this tomorrow.  There is pretty much no way in hell that the server is going to be fixed entirely before I need to leave tomorrow night.  I will have to pay my host to install the RAM for me, probably some time on Tuesday or Wednesday... Corsair seems to be closed on Saturdays/Sundays.

I'm making Corsair pay for whatever I get charged to install the RAM.

Offline Iq Unlimited

• Flagrunner
  • mr. foobar2000
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2007, 12:04:18 am »
<Iq-Unlimited> if it wasnt so stupid I would laugh.

Offline DePhille

• Flagrunner
  • SoldatPage Webmaster
    • SoldatPage
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2007, 07:01:52 am »
Well, that's bad, really bad.
I can't imagine that the part is indeed shipped to Germany so I would still wait fo the UPS guy - might be some script error that prints the sender's address instead of the recipient's address or something. However, chances are small that the part will reach it's proper destination...
Anyway, this really is unprofessional from Corsair.

Good luck!

Grtz, DePhille
This signature was broken. Feel free to fix it.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2007, 05:16:49 pm »
The part is, in fact, on its way to Germany.  I called Corsair this morning and had them send another one to the Chicago address.  I should have it installed by next Monday night.

I got home to find out that my car was towed.  They apparently put out signs saying they were cleaning the street it was parked on, something they only do once or twice per year.  I just got it back... it cost me $162 to get it from the lot, and $35 for the fine that I have to pay tomorrow morning.

Meh.  Thanks to everyone who helped donate to my trip, that will allow me to instead pay for my car stuff.  The car was towed Thursday morning while I was nearing the end of my train trip, then I was charged while it was held at the lot until I picked it up this morning.

Thanks to Geo who is also considering donating

Offline Eagle

• Major
  • PERSONAL TEXT SUCKS, LIKE SIGNATURES!
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2007, 06:27:23 pm »
Wow, you have terrible luck.  We should get all the Soldat players together and take over the world.
SIGNATURES SUCK!

Joako

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2007, 07:02:30 pm »
Hell yeah. And we already have loads of military training thanks to Soldat.

Bad part, though, is that by running around with a USA flag won't get the world conquered.

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2007, 09:12:24 pm »
Bad part, though, is that by running around with a USA flag won't get the world conquered.

Are you assuming all soldat players are from USA?

BTW, that was a lot of bad luck at the same time, you must be cursed or something. Thank god there is good people who makes donations. Oh, and I admire all the trouble you go through to solve that problem.
urraka

Offline Eagle

• Major
  • PERSONAL TEXT SUCKS, LIKE SIGNATURES!
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2007, 09:16:59 pm »
Unfortunately:
-Real life is 3D
-Bullets aren't visible to be dodged
-One cannot jump 15 feet straight up, or have jetpacks on his shoes
SIGNATURES SUCK!

Offline Red Neck

• Soldier
  • in game: &gt;RE&lt; Monomaniac .:|FA|:.
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2007, 10:46:43 pm »
quote eagle
"Unfortunately:
-Real life is 3D
-Bullets aren't visible to be dodged
-One cannot jump 15 feet straight up, or have jetpacks on his shoes"

this may be true, but its still fun to think you can ;D

FLAB, even though your cursed, you know we still love you

Offline bja888

• Flagrunner
  • Working
    • Bja888.com
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2007, 06:40:56 am »
Ummm... by ram from someone more responsible with your money?

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2007, 07:58:33 am »
Woah. Tough luck.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2007, 12:16:53 pm »
Ummm... by ram from someone more responsible with your money?

this RAM was being replaced under warranty, I wasn't about to go buy more since that would have resulted in spending about $600

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2007, 06:49:50 pm »
I've written out the entire story of this to-date with explanations of just about everything.  See http://tns.u13.net/?p=13 for the full thing

edit: oh yeah, and it has gotten worse.

Offline PureGrain

• Major(1)
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2007, 09:50:54 pm »
ECC Registered memory would have kept this from happening. Or a nice cluster with fail-over. Service Guard anyone?!?

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2007, 06:16:15 am »
ECC Registered memory would have kept this from happening. Or a nice cluster with fail-over. Service Guard anyone?!?

All of the RAM in the server is ECC.  ECC has to do with how the RAM works internally and doesn't do anything if an entire module fails, especially if it fails how mine did (you would know this if you actually read http://tns.u13.net/?p=13 before posting)

You can't run game servers in a cluster without software for the game server that is intended to fail-over.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 06:31:42 am by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2007, 07:04:41 am »

All of the RAM in the server is ECC.  ECC has to do with how the RAM works internally and doesn't do anything if an entire module fails, especially if it fails how mine did (you would know this if you actually read http://tns.u13.net/?p=13 before posting)

You can't run game servers in a cluster without software for the game server that is intended to fail-over.
I actually enjoyed the text I read there, nice job as a writer there. ;)

I just wonder why werent you doubting the actualy RAM sticks to fail, instead of motherboard datapath/CPU? I think it is alot more common to RAM stick to fail than for a CPU to fail with it's memory controller, not that I have played much with failed systems or highly stressed servers, but it feels logical that when problem is with RAM, the actual RAM is broken.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2007, 08:25:27 am »

I actually enjoyed the text I read there, nice job as a writer there. ;)

I just wonder why werent you doubting the actualy RAM sticks to fail, instead of motherboard datapath/CPU? I think it is alot more common to RAM stick to fail than for a CPU to fail with it's memory controller, not that I have played much with failed systems or highly stressed servers, but it feels logical that when problem is with RAM, the actual RAM is broken.
because of the fact that every RAM module in that bank of RAM seemed to be failing tests, not just one.  That made me think it was a larger problem than just one RAM module.

Very good question, and thanks for the comment on my writing.  Feel free to browse that site and read some other stuff, I really should try to get myself to write more
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 08:27:01 am by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2007, 12:55:03 pm »
Well, now I know what to read whenever I am having one of those "sleepless nights". And gallery is nice aswell. Need to take deeper look at it later, but at least the "geeky stuff"-category is somehow attracting me, due to the very similar interests. 8)
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline PureGrain

• Major(1)
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2007, 08:03:48 pm »
(you would know this if you actually read http://tns.u13.net/?p=13 before posting)

Yeah, I was impatient and just posted without reading. Sorry bout that.

I am sure there is a way to cluster this app. I have not attempted it yet but I may just have too in my lab and see how well it goes. I have been away from fun like that for some time and it will give me something to do.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2007, 07:21:40 am »
(you would know this if you actually read http://tns.u13.net/?p=13 before posting)

Yeah, I was impatient and just posted without reading. Sorry bout that.

I am sure there is a way to cluster this app. I have not attempted it yet but I may just have too in my lab and see how well it goes. I have been away from fun like that for some time and it will give me something to do.
even then, you were way off in saying that using ECC RAM would protect against failing modules.  ECC is there to protect against the kinds of errors that would come from cosmic rays and other stray things, causing its to flip once in a very long while (probably once every trillion memory address reads, if not more).  ECC won't do **** about a RAM module completely flaking out, or even just starting to