Author Topic: new game type  (Read 2055 times)

Offline crackadillicus

• Major
    • my musics
new game type
« on: June 30, 2006, 04:15:00 pm »
check it.

i've never been much one for forums, but i figured i'd join up to see the possibilities of this idea, and if anyone more talented than myself might be interested.

i'm workin on a map that takes soldat to stretch more into the realm of old side-scrollers in the style of mario, pitfall, megaman, or more specifically the pre-3d duke nukems.

the idea runs on a series of levels (or one to start), with a linear route, making your way to the left-to-right along the screen, alone, through a series of baddies.

if i could get the aid, ideally you would start with one weapon (a socom mebbe?) and get new weaps off the baddies you kill.  (mebbe some variation on advance mode?).  there would be low jetpack, and realistic mode.

potentially work off of inf game mode, but with the two flags near eachother @ the end of the map.

the waypoints would be set up so that baddies either appear on 'patrol' walking back and forth, or are camped out

-----

problems i'm foreseeing lie in how to set weapons, checkpointing on longer levels, and respawning of baddies + which baddies spawn where

tell me what y'all think

edit: i'ma post a screeny asap
I am the walrus?

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
Re: new game type
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 04:25:12 pm »
So, basically, you want a single player campaign mode for Soldat.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline crackadillicus

• Major
    • my musics
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 04:55:00 pm »
pretty much, yeah
I am the walrus?

Offline Spasm

• Soldier
  • Elite CTF Owner
    • Elite CTF
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 05:24:36 pm »
It's not a bad idea, but I think if it came out with the original release, I could see it be pretty popular.  I can only play this game online because you get the benefit of human error.
Owner/Founder- Elite CTF -  http://elitectf.com
OwnedVision - http://ownedvision.com
--An EliteCTF Production.
Snipe & Slice - Saw & Law - One Shots

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 06:16:41 pm »
I might go make a single player level real quick.

Edit:
The game is gonna be Realistic/Advance/Survival/ There is going to be a single alpha spawn at the beginning of the level and brave spawns placed along the level. Sadly you cannot choose where bots spawn. I will write a detailed faq when I finish the level.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 06:24:38 pm by Wraithlike »

Offline crackadillicus

• Major
    • my musics
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 07:49:53 pm »
wraith you my hero - that's almost exactly what i'm talkin about

edit:
just got polyworks and it's soooooo much better than mapmaker that i'ma bout to start workin my map anew & bust out w/somethin tasty
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 07:55:53 pm by crackadillicus »
I am the walrus?

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 09:27:32 pm »
This is a very early design for a single player map. Mainly the waypoints are very rough, because I don't think it is possible to get bots to patrol.

For play:
-Set game to survival, advance, and realistic.
-Start with 2 grenades
-Game mode is team match
-Begin the game and type "/addbot2 boogie man" (without the quotes) and then type // until there are 31 boogie men.
-Now play through the level while killing all the enemies.

Edit:
Grrrrr, I can't upload anything. I'll have a d/l up in a bit.

Edit:
This would make for a good game of inf. I might configure for that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 09:31:18 pm by Wraithlike »

Offline crackadillicus

• Major
    • my musics
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 02:05:33 am »
check it

i'm loving the level design - it's smooth and clean and the scenery is placed really bomb, but i'm thinkin there's somethin we can do about the bots.....

you got AIM or msn or y! ? we can mebbe work together on this one & bust out w/somethin nasty
I am the walrus?

Offline Plonkoon

• Veteran
  • I know Karate!....and several other Japanese words
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 02:09:13 am »
You should make weapon mods to go with your maps.  Maybe weaken all the guns a lot then have the bots use them and the player gets to used a superpowered SOCOM (just so the human is the only one who can use it).   Zombies are just to easy too kill.  :P

Offline Lunerfox

• Major
  • Lol in the Box.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 02:16:52 am »
Good idea, love to see more of these come by.

It's been done before, inf_junglestrike is a pretty well polished single player map, complete with decent bots. Hundreds of testing hours already, too.
-[ILOA]-
---
Project Survival: An independent game development project.
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=23390.0

Offline crackadillicus

• Major
    • my musics
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 04:35:58 am »
i'm interested, but can't find inf_junglestrike - can you link me to it somewhere?

plonkoon, i'm diggin your idea, but at the same time i think it'd be cool to find use in the weapons you pick up as you go along - i'll see what we can do as we work through it.   also - agreed on the zombies
I am the walrus?