Misc > Forum News and Support

Hotmail users, please read this

<< < (2/6) > >>

FliesLikeABrick:
guys, you don't need to turn this into a gmail invite thread.

kingkitty, definately time to switch

Deadeye Rob:
I had a similar problem. But i think it is down to the Hotmail 'Junk Mail' folder.

Most unwitting people send their activation email, and realise it has not come through. This can be in some cases that Hotmail has declared it junk at leaves it in the Junk Email folder until the player designates it as useful! Hope this helps!

FliesLikeABrick:

--- Quote from: Deadeye Rob on July 01, 2006, 02:16:17 pm ---I had a similar problem. But i think it is down to the Hotmail 'Junk Mail' folder.

Most unwitting people send their activation email, and realise it has not come through. This can be in some cases that Hotmail has declared it junk at leaves it in the Junk Email folder until the player designates it as useful! Hope this helps!

--- End quote ---

They are not ending up in the junk folder, hotmail is actually losing the messages (I've researched this quite a bit)

Deadeye Rob:
Really? i havent had that problem before, Can you go into more detail?

FliesLikeABrick:

--- Quote from: Deadeye Rob on July 01, 2006, 02:26:17 pm ---Really? i havent had that problem before, Can you go into more detail?

--- End quote ---

Sure:

Whenever a Linux server sends an e-mail, it registers the progress of the transation in its syslog (system logger).  E-mails sent to hotmail users show up as "250 Queued mail for delivery" which is a success message, meaning that the e-mail has been successfully received by hotmail's servers, and it will be delivered to the user's inbox shortly.

This happens for all messages sent to hotmail, and it is normal.  The problem comes because even though hotmail says this, the message never makes it to the user's inbox.  Something is happening within hotmail's servers that is losing messages.  There is nothing that anyone can do about it except for hotmail (if they take the time to fix it in their servers).

Below is an example.

--- Code: ---05:32:04 outcry postfix/smtp[12514]: D74E3E805A: to=<someone@hotmail.com>, relay=mx1.hotmail.com[65.54.244.136], delay=1, status=sent (250  <20060624093203.D74E3E805A@u13.net> Queued mail for delivery)

--- End code ---

It appears that one or two out of every 100 e-mails sent to hotmail never arrive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version