Author Topic: New Knife Attack  (Read 2495 times)

Offline adadqgg

• Soldier
  • Yuri for the win ~desu
New Knife Attack
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:17:29 pm »
After rolling under ppl w/ a knife and missed the throw following that, I have thought of this idea:
when rolling w/ a knife, you can slash at ppl's legs and do about the same damage as a barret hitting a leg, that would a really big help especially a guy is spraying u w/ a AUG...

Shikabane Hime... Undead girls... Dual-wielding Mac 11s... Epic bayonets... WIN!

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
Re: New Knife Attack
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »
Why just this? I'm wishing the knife could be stabbed in every direction, instead of just forward and backward. It'd be super useful.

I sort of support....it'd be better if you'd suggested more than just this, though.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 10:57:43 pm »
Well, being able to stab in any direction makes more sense. Then you could just roll and stab up. (No slashing! :))
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 01:09:30 am »
I'm against any added or improved knife melee attacks as that would work towards diminishing the usefulness of the chainsaw. Plus, currently, no attacks can be carried out while rolling.

Offline adadqgg

• Soldier
  • Yuri for the win ~desu
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 10:54:29 am »
It's not gonna make chainsaw less useful, it dosent kill ppl instantly unlike chainsaw which turns ppl into pixellated chopped-off limb
... the damage can be a little bit lower, like the dmg for ruger maybe?

Shikabane Hime... Undead girls... Dual-wielding Mac 11s... Epic bayonets... WIN!

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 12:42:25 pm »
All damage is location-specific.  Take the Ruger 77 in normal mode, for example.  A leg shot will do about 60% damage.  A chest shot, about 80% damage.  A head shot, almost always instant kill.

In any case, while I would love to have a knife that could stab in directions other than directly forward, this whole leg-slashing thing seems a bit...trivial.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 03:34:22 pm »
Domino is right, the chainsaw is currently the sidearm used for melee. Handing that same power to the knife strips away it's usefullness, people would just ditch the saw altogether and just pick the knife.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 03:38:34 pm »
Domino is right, the chainsaw is currently the sidearm used for melee. Handing that same power to the knife strips away it's usefullness, people would just ditch the saw altogether and just pick the knife.
True.  The knife has only shown true usefulness (up to this point) in throwing.  Though, being able to throw the saw and have it do damage would be pretty badass...
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 03:41:10 pm »
True.  The knife has only shown true usefulness (up to this point) in throwing.  Though, being able to throw the saw and have it do damage would be pretty badass...

:P
Change the knife graphic to a saw and up it's speed a whole bunch.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 05:01:07 pm »
All damage is location-specific.  Take the Ruger 77 in normal mode, for example.  A leg shot will do about 60% damage.  A chest shot, about 80% damage.  A head shot, almost always instant kill.
Um... no? The Ruger is not a one-hit kill in normal mode, so I'm sorry to say you are mistaken. Perhaps you were thinking of realistic?

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Blyd

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 12:11:00 am »
i got an idea, how about rolling and jump up in the middle of the roll with the knife pointing upwards, slicing the enemy in half..

Offline Kagesha

• Flagrunner
  • cunts
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 05:36:06 am »
Double knifing how awesome you hold two knives like the deagle and that means you have 2 ammos of knife and makes you look cooler holding two knives

Offline neon

• Major
  • yay :)
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 11:10:48 am »
a lot of the time i think adding things into soldat would make it cool but i think soldat is so much fun because it's so simple, i think this is just a bit needless even though it could be cool i wouldn't think it was needed

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 12:42:59 pm »
All damage is location-specific. Take the Ruger 77 in normal mode, for example. A leg shot will do about 60% damage. A chest shot, about 80% damage. A head shot, almost always instant kill.
Um... no? The Ruger is not a one-hit kill in normal mode, so I'm sorry to say you are mistaken. Perhaps you were thinking of realistic?
No, no I'm not...

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 03:30:45 pm »
Ruger doesn't kill in one hit in normal mode.

And it would be nice to be able to stab in any direction. It wouldn't make the knife better than the saw in melee, due to the same reason it isn't better now, which is that the saw's attack is very very fast (until ammo runs out), while knife is just stab...stab...stab.

I don't see how it would be possible to add though. It would require a stabbing motion for all angles of attack, and I don't think anyone's gonna be making 360 poa files just for that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 03:34:09 pm by -Vis- »

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 03:47:56 pm »
And it would be nice to be able to stab in any direction. It wouldn't make the knife better than the saw in melee, due to the same reason it isn't better now, which is that the saw's attack is very very fast (until ammo runs out), while knife is just stab...stab...stab.

No one (that I can see at least) is saying it would necessarily make the knife the better choice for melee attacks and/or better than the chainsaw. The point is that it improves upon an area where the knife should be weak by giving it the 360 degree range of the saw. Then we'd have two 360 degree melee attack weapons: one which is an instant kill and can be thrown; and the other which is a two-hit kill, uses ammo, needs to reload, makes a noise to warn people nearby, and cannot be thrown for kills.

Offline #38

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 04:15:02 pm »
do any of you guys realize you can throw the knife upward and kill an enemy at a farther distance than pointing the knife upward and stab them?....
Real Men Drill Deep

Offline -Vis-

• Flagrunner
  • Zarch
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 10:52:16 pm »

No one (that I can see at least) is saying it would necessarily make the knife the better choice for melee attacks and/or better than the chainsaw. The point is that it improves upon an area where the knife should be weak by giving it the 360 degree range of the saw. Then we'd have two 360 degree melee attack weapons: one which is an instant kill and can be thrown; and the other which is a two-hit kill, uses ammo, needs to reload, makes a noise to warn people nearby, and cannot be thrown for kills.

Why should the knife be weak at melee distance? As long as the saw almost invariably beats it in a melee duel, there's no reason for anyone to complain. If it's such a big deal, increase the time between stabs to make it harder to use.

Anyway, I'm perfectly happy with the way the knife is now, and I agree that no change is necessary. It'd just be more fun to use, that's all.

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 12:52:06 am »
I think it would be cool that you could punch a knife when someone throws it at you.
urraka