Author Topic: High Ping Problems  (Read 2191 times)

Offline RobbieThe1st

• Major(1)
High Ping Problems
« on: May 07, 2007, 06:49:15 am »
Well, as of today, the only 2 servers I could play on( 200.177.254.98 port 23074 and 23075  CTF) switched to soldat version 1.4. Why can I only play on two servers? Because i have satellite internet. As you may or may not know, satellite internet gives a MINIMUM ping of around 800, varying to above 2000. On a good server, I get around 800-900, sometimes jumping to 1500. Now, Soldat *IS* playable at that level, with a *lot* of practice. With soldat version 1.3, I could, using the HK-MP5, get a fair amount of kills, and score a few points. However, once these servers upgraded to soldat version 1.4, I get ping kicked after 2-5 mins, like on most servers. I need to find either a list of high-ping-limit(like 1500-2000) servers, or some way to make it think my ping is less, and stop being ping kicked.

Yes, my satellite internet is terrible for playing games on, but its all I have. If you are going to yell at me for playing on it, or tell me to upgrade, I do not want to hear it. If I could upgrade, I would. As it is, I cannot even get dial-up.

Yes, It is not any computer problems - check my xfire. On the computer side, my computer is pretty good(aside from graphics card, I was having problems with my good one, but it still gets 50-60 fps).  Yes, I have tried making sure no programs are using the internet connection - I have found no difference if I am downloading a file or not in terms of ping.

I would like to hear any solutions or help.

-RobbieThe1st

p.s. If I have posted this in the wrong forum, please move this topic.

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
Re: High Ping Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 07:06:20 am »
I don't think the server admins would like having a 800 ping player in their server. I think turning off XFire would help alittle? Thats what I really can think of right now.l

Offline RobbieThe1st

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 07:12:12 am »
As I said, I have tried that. On soldat 1.3 I would *not* get pingkicked from those servers either with, or without xfire. Heck, I could be downloading a file full speed, and I wouldn't be kicked!

As I said, no whiners. This is one of few games I can play, and I am going to find some way to play it. I need help finding a list of high ping servers mainly, and any other options are just secondary.

Btw, I have seen quite a few people at just as high ping as me, though just like me they end up getting kicked. So its not just me.

(oh yea, my friends server also didn't kick me - he set it to 2000 ping. However, his computer died on him, so no more soldating off his server)

-Robbie

edit: im getting off for the night, I wont respond for a long time.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 07:16:02 am by RobbieThe1st »

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 07:26:48 am »
I would consider this topic as a pure joke. At that ping, you should not be playing games. Ever.

EDIT: WTF @ post count

Offline The Red Guy

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 07:34:19 am »
I agree, and I don't think you'll be having good fun gameplay with that much ping anyway.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 08:04:52 am »
Most likely you got ping kicked because the server's Soldat configuration got overwritten, changing the ping limit from around 2000 to around 200. xD

You could try talking to the server owner about it...
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 08:37:22 am »
Play on servers in your country.

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 08:45:11 am »
At that level ping, you're going to be kicked. It's simply going to cause the server itself to lag for everyone.

Try some climbing, if anything. The only climb server that I know of that has a low ping limit is Bombski's Climbing. Or try some race maps. They both have no weapons.

Remember, being ping kicked is an entirely server-side option. There's no way to get past that ping cap.

Now, where's your satellite internet broadcast from in the first place? And who provides it?

Those are both factors in determining how good your Internet is. And another factor is if the satellite is on your side of the world.

Sorry to say this, but you might want to upgrade to at least dial-up. Ten bucks a month.

Since you can't, tell me why. Why can't you upgrade?

Or, do you live out in some remote place where there is no way to run a phone cable out to you? Is that it?

And, Sytrus, that won't help if he's using satellite internet. It's broadcast from somewhere far away.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 03:52:19 pm »
I find it hilarious that you have a shitty satilite connection and you still managed to upload a 53 KB image.

Sprint claims to have network cards for laptops that run real high speeds if satilite is your only option, otherwise, [brag] I HAVE HAD A FIBEROPTIC CABLE FOR OVER A YEAR NOW [/brag]
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 04:06:40 pm »
There's nothing you can do get around these problems and no suggestions here will help you

Offline Not Not Muldritch

• Major
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 04:16:19 pm »
You think you got it bad? Try routing Soldat through a web proxy.

Offline RobbieThe1st

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 11:33:50 pm »
There's nothing you can do get around these problems and no suggestions here will help you
Well, yes, it seems that way. I was afraid of the fact that noone would be able to help me.

I get it via starband, which comes to the internet in Atlanta, Georgia, yet I dont get the best pings there. For me, I have noticed very little difference in my ping whether the server is in Australia, or in the usa.

I get a reasonable allowance of about 3 gigs a week dl - not great, but not terrible either, and i get around dsl speeds(100-125kb/sec down, 25kb/sec up).  Its good enough for filetransfer, but not for garming. I can play runescape fine with the connection, but this is the only other game so far that I can play reasonably well with it.

It is fun to play, I have found that, with practice and skill, it is very possible. you learn to aim not where they are, but where they will be in a second, automaticly, and once you correct for that, you can get kills.

The problem with satellite, is it takes a second for the data to be broadcast from my dish up to the satellite, which is quite a few miles up, and then from there down to the ground, out to the internet, to the server, and then back up to the satellite, and down to my dish. Quite a few steps, and it takes .8 seconds to do it.

Not Not Muldritch, well, I never said that noone was in a worse situation.

I find it hilarious that you have a ****ty satilite connection and you still managed to upload a 53 KB image.
Well, while i *could* upload a 50kb image without much trouble, actually all i uploaded was:
a 5.26 KB php xfire profile parser
a 7.10 KB php script
and a 812 byte border.
The image is created dynamicly, the background is one of the current 4 images on my xfire profile(it takes a random section of a random one of those images each time it loads).
I love php scripting!

-Robbie

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 11:40:43 pm by RobbieThe1st »

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 03:57:43 am »
So why do you need satelite internet? On some island somewhere?
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline RobbieThe1st

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 04:28:01 am »
So why do you need satelite internet? On some island somewhere?
As I said, its all I can get here - theres various rules preventing landline phone/dsl.

If someone could simply help me, and give me a couple of high ping limit servers, preferably CTF servers, it would be greatly appreciated.

-Robbie

Offline X-Rayz

• Camper
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 08:29:00 am »
Holy crap man, I thought satellite would be way better then normal broadband. Guess not.

I really don't think that you are ever going to be able to play soldat. I used to get 100 ping, I turned off a couple of programs via 'ctrl alt delete', and now I get 66-88 ping, with a few large spikes. So if you want 760-780 ping try that.

But, I don't think that you should play online games. YOU might be able to play. But everyone else is not. That might even be why you could get a few kills before. You learned to play like that, obviously no one in the server managed to learn in the space of 10-15 minutes.
Playing with people is not going to be fun for everyone else. They'll be angry, and not having fun, because they can't hit a guy.
Seriously, if you were playing in the same server as me, I would be extremely pissed off.

Offline Demonic Forces

• Major(1)
  • w000t? we are not alone ....
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 10:19:41 am »
I have a normal broadband 12000k Modem, and I can't Jojn every server too. In 1.3 I had have a Ping of about 16-0 in Selfkill.com servers. Now: if  I request Servers, there is (if i have luck) 2 Servers I'm able to Join :(. This rly sucks and I don't know what's wrong ???.
I live in Germany (if some one is interested).
PLZ HELP ME!!!
hmmm idk what to say ..... F*** u all =$

Offline InfS

• Major
    • On Myspace
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 10:25:08 am »
You should got to Start > Run > Type in 'cmd'. When the command box comes up type in 'tracert [ipaddress]', so for the orginal poster would enter 'tracert 200.177.254.98'. This lets you see exactly where you are getting your high ping from... All you can do then is call whichever ISP or switch/router that is causing you to have a high ping and bitch at them :D
A lot of cheap tricks, but no real skill.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 08:30:46 pm »
I get it via starband, which comes to the internet in Atlanta, Georgia, yet I dont get the best pings there. For me, I have noticed very little difference in my ping whether the server is in Australia, or in the usa.
You could start lobbying senators to help you get your cable.

I can tell you why you have that ping, and why it doesn't matter where you play.

To send a packet, your satilight contacts a satilight orbiting space, which contacts another satilight and another until it ends up here on earth, where it goes about it's business on the intrawebs, where as a cable skips all that satilight crap, the reason yours is quicker is because 2 satilights contacting each other in space is a hell of a lot quicker then a wire running halfway around the world.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline RobbieThe1st

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 11:33:16 pm »
You could start lobbying senators to help you get your cable.

I can tell you why you have that ping, and why it doesn't matter where you play.

To send a packet, your satilight contacts a satilight orbiting space, which contacts another satilight and another until it ends up here on earth, where it goes about it's business on the intrawebs, where as a cable skips all that satilight crap, the reason yours is quicker is because 2 satilights contacting each other in space is a hell of a lot quicker then a wire running halfway around the world.
As I said: I know that. However, with this system, there is only one satellite in the connection setup, atleast for starband - I checked.

Holy crap man, I thought satellite would be way better then normal broadband. Guess not.

I really don't think that you are ever going to be able to play soldat. I used to get 100 ping, I turned off a couple of programs via 'ctrl alt delete', and now I get 66-88 ping, with a few large spikes. So if you want 760-780 ping try that.

But, I don't think that you should play online games. YOU might be able to play. But everyone else is not. That might even be why you could get a few kills before. You learned to play like that, obviously no one in the server managed to learn in the space of 10-15 minutes.

Playing with people is not going to be fun for everyone else. They'll be angry, and not having fun, because they can't hit a guy.
Seriously, if you were playing in the same server as me, I would be extremely pissed off.
No, People still manage to kill me quite often. I have found that if someone uses an m-79 or sniper on me, i can evade them most of the time. If they are using an auto-weapon, like the ak-47, they can get me most of the time. When i am in the server, there have been only a couple people annoyed at me, generally noobs. The others just go on playing, and some even help me when the noob trys to kick me.

Now as I have said, there is no way for me to lower my ping. I need help with finding servers who have a high ping kick limit, *Thats* what I need help with.

-Robbie

Date Posted: May 08, 2007, 11:00:53 pm
Hm... I was thinking: couldn't you use a specialized proxy? If you had it programed correctly, you could have it intercept pings, and send back results direct from the proxy, and if you had said proxy on a good enough connection where its good for you to play on, your effective lag would be like 1.2 seconds, yet from the servers perspective it would be much less. No ping kicks, you can still play, and noone complains.

Has anyone tried this before?

YAY! I just found a playable CTF server I can play on! You can close this topic now.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 02:28:13 am by RobbieThe1st »