Author Topic: I Hate Barbed Wire  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Zantalos

• Major(1)
I Hate Barbed Wire
« on: May 08, 2007, 06:43:19 pm »
It's a piece of ****, thumbs down.

There should at least be an option to add a pause before the barbed wire starts bleeding you out. That way you could still pass through it fairly easily without getting hurt, but if you or the enemy decided to stop right in the middle of it and camp, you would get hurt.

I know barbed wire is a just a setting the map makers put out to be assholes, much like the healing spots they create to be awesome, but there should seriously be a pause setting to calm them down a bit. It's redicules right now, barbed wire is stupid.

Before the barbed wire can start hurting you, you have to be touching it for at least one full second, otherwise it's harmless if you're just quickly passing through it.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: I Hate Barbed Wire
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:00:35 pm »
Suggested before.

Barbed wire/hurt polygons are there for a reason, not just for map makers to be assholes. They are there to keep people from standing on them, camping on them, and to be sure that people run over them quickly. (speeding up gameplay)

I don't like this because there is no "barbed wire" polygon, just hurts, and a lot of kz maps would be ruined from a big break before it starts to hurt you.

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:25:51 pm »
Just like iDante said, climbing would be ruined. You would be able to get past hurt spots without a scratch.

Adding the delay in TW would also have people just plain walking across the hurt polys, instead of jump-running.

No support whatsoever.

And don't call the map makers assholes. That's just insulting, considering how much work these guys put into their TW maps. I'd like to see you try making one that the community likes.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 11:02:20 pm »
Haha. Assholes are people that kill you and heal spots just make them awesome? You just like things going your way. If I run into barbed wire it should stop me, not let me through. Whats the point of barbed wire if it doesn't stop people? If anything it shouldn't hurt people who are already in it but not moving, and hurt those who run into it, but even that's dumb.

Nein support!
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 09:35:44 am »
VTT doesn't add barbed wire polys to be a git; he adds them to give you the feeling of how anybody who stays in the open for to long is gonna get killed.  Besides, actual trench warfare employed barbed wire.  Wouldn't ya think it would hurt to stand on?

As Hiro said: "Nein support!"
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline MofoNofo

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 10:01:00 am »
Bad idea.

Furthermore, I think that the flames on lava polys hurt way too much  :-X

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 11:12:05 am »
Bairbed wire causing problems only for beginners who can't run fast enogh. But after playing for some time you will realize that barbed wire isn't that deadly...
I remeber that when i first time played on the internet on Coldmorning whole team got stuck trying to jump over the water and died. Then players lerned how to cross it propely so it stoped causing any worries...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 11:17:52 am by VirtualTT »

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 12:39:31 pm »
In other words: Run-jump.  A lot.
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline Red Neck

• Soldier
  • in game: >RE< Monomaniac .:|FA|:.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 05:03:47 pm »
"In other words: Run-jump.  A lot." - O.R.I.O.N.

exactly, and besides climb maps ruined, im kinda a map maker and all maps ive made have had spots near the base (like my dropdown based map) to keep whoring at bay and also to as previously said speed game play, i take offense to your calling map makers assholes for putting them in

no support

Offline Okama

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 04:27:41 am »
hate it? get used to it.