Author Topic: Cave Story mod  (Read 12836 times)

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
Cave Story mod
« on: May 10, 2007, 03:03:42 am »
IT'S FINNISHED! SEE THE FULL MOD.S SECTION!!

Wouldn't mind having some better gostek/blood files though...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 06:23:38 am by Hiro »
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Tblazer13

• Major(1)
Re: Cave Story mod
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 06:36:57 pm »
Sounds great! Cave Story is wonderful game, especially the music, I used to use it's music player all the time, so I could hear it even while not playing  :). Maybe I'll play some tonight and see if I can get any Ideas on how to get sfx, etc. To bad the music is a special custom format that soldat can't use  :(. Also, maybe consider using different levels of the same gun for different guns.
Other cool programs (that like Soldat are free):
WOP - An awesome FPS - worldofpadman.com
Gamemaker - Game creation made easy - Forums (gmc.yoyogames.com) - Site (yoyogames.com)
StickOnline - Just one of many games made with gamemaker, in this case a platformer mmo - stickonlinegame.com
N - A sweet platformer with 500 lvls - harveycartel.org/metanet/

Offline adarius

• Major
  • "I'm more than my name." -The Recruit
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:53:52 pm »
Wow...I actually have the Cave Story shortcut on my desktop right now.  It really is a good game.  Combination of action, RPG, puzzle, and shooter all in one.  I thought it was pretty fun with the gun level ups.  The storyline confused the heck out of me though... o.o"

It would be interesting to see Cave Story's guns in soldat and have a gostek of the guy in soldat as well.  Hope you do well, cause I can't think of anything about the sounds, sorry.

Disclaimer: Above userbar is intended solely as a joke.  If you take it seriously, there is something wrong with you.

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:17:43 pm »
maybe consider using different levels of the same gun for different guns.
Yeah, I did that for the knife and the chainsaw which have my own custom made in-game sprites. But if I wanted the machinegun1 to be the AK and machinegun3 to be the minimi, how would I tell them appart? Any ideas?
(note: for the interface graphics I just removed the background of the lvl1 blade to show it is a different gun to the saw)

If you find a bit in the game that has no music playing it could help.

BTW: you can get cave story music in mp3 format, http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/music.php
This is an awesome fan site.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 04:35:07 am »
Looking good so far... but I would consider putting the Machine Gun in the minigun slot, since it has the whole recoil thing going on at level 3.

You may want to contact Lapis Lazuli, as he got started on some form of Cave Story mod of his own at some point. I know he got some of the particles done and maybe some sound effects, but I don't know how far he got with weapons and whatnots.

Edit: To repeat the advice I gave him (he seemed to appreciate it): If you're planning on modding the blood into those little round red particle thingies from in the game, you should modify lilblood.bmp instead of blood.bmp; lilblood behaves much more closely to the real thing.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 04:37:05 am by Zero72 »

Offline Tblazer13

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 09:06:15 pm »
Consider contacting Pixel (creator of Cave Story) and asking for the use of the games sounds, just an idea. Also, try asking some questions on the Mirai Gamer Forum. I can't really think of any way to differentiate between the machine guns aside from different rate of fire and such. Again, try asking on the Mirai Gamer Forums, they are probably a little more knowledgeable on the subject than us.

BTW: Thanks for the music. 
Gamemaker - Game creation made easy - Forums (gmc.yoyogames.com) - Site (yoyogames.com)
StickOnline - Just one of many games made with gamemaker, in this case a platformer mmo - stickonlinegame.com

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 04:55:29 am »
NP ;)

@Zero72: Uh..Blood? Particles? :D I'm no way near that yet! XD Although I did make the smoke circles just like the booster in the game. If Lapis Lazuli has anything I'd be glad to have a look. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, the machine gun suits most of the soldat guns better than the others. I made it the AK partially because I don't use the minigun or minimi too much  and I wanted to use the AK :). But now I've run out of guns >.<; I need something to distinguish between the ingame sprites for machine gun lvls 1,2&3.

Offline Tblazer13

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 09:10:06 pm »
How about putting a scope on the minimi, and enlarging the minigun. And maybe changing their colors. Just make sure the minigun is lvl3  ::).

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 11:06:05 pm »
So.....Basicly now I say that lvl3 machinegun is a different color and/or size to lvl1 machinegun? What colors/sizes would I choose? It's not easy.

I think sizes is the best idea yet (other than designing my own gun which would be weird and hard). Maybe I'll try it.

Offline Tblazer13

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 08:13:29 pm »
Any progress?

Offline wolfbr

• Camper
  • HurBaN NinJa(Ninja hurbano), the power of Thunders
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 09:07:19 pm »
nice idea  ;D, i love this game  :)

some ideas

DE - polar Star L2 or Spur Lv2
MP5 -  Nemesis Lv2 or Bubbler Lv2 or Machine Gun Lv1\Lv2
ak74- Nemesis Lv2
SA - Machine Gun Lv2
Spars12 - Bubbler Lv3
Ruger77 - Spur Lv1 or Spur Lv2
M79 - Fireball Lv1\Lv2\Lv3
Barret = Spur Lv3
Fn minimi =  Nemesis Lv1
minigun = Machine Gun Lv3

Ussocon = Bubbler Lv1 or polar Star Lv1 or Nemesis Lv3
knife = Blade L1
chainsaw = Blade L2 or King's sword
Law = Missile Launcher Lv1\Lv2 or Super Missile Lv1\Lv2

the mod conf. is a nice idea?  ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 04:25:39 pm by wolfbr »

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 09:55:00 pm »
Dude....I have all the weapons aready done except the minimi and minigun (and statgun). And there is a problem using different levels of the weapons to get new guns: How do I tell them apart?

Ok, sorry for being lame guys, I've been playing savage to much.
You can have all I've made so far. I just need to compile it for y'all.

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 10:25:22 pm »
Maybe isn't best idea, but Turbocharge can be as ammo icon also Missile Expansion or Missile Expansion (Super Missile Color).
Minigun can be Bubbler lv.3, Minigun can be Snake lv.2 or lv.3.
Machinegun lv.3 can  be Stat-gun. Alternative, Minimi as Machinegun lv.2, Minigun as Machinegun lv.3. Stat-gun can be some weapon at lv.3
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 10:37:27 pm by Henito Kisou »

Offline Lunerfox

• Major
  • Lol in the Box.
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 10:31:28 pm »
As for sounds, you can always use Audacity to record anything. It's really not too big of a deal, but just make sure that if you want it to be legal you ask for permission.
-[ILOA]-
---
Project Survival: An independent game development project.
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=23390.0

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 10:51:51 pm »
Maybe isn't best idea, but Turbocharge can be as ammo icon also Missile Expansion or Missile Expansion (Super Missile Color).
Minigun can be Bubbler lv.3, Minigun can be Snake lv.2 or lv.3.
Machinegun lv.3 can be Stat-gun. Alternative, Minimi as Machinegun lv.2, Minigun as Machinegun lv.3. Stat-gun can be some weapon at lv.3
Dude....I have all the weapons aready done except the minimi and minigun (and statgun). And there is a problem using different levels of the weapons to get new guns: How do I tell them apart?
Aha... Right. Also I have all the objects.

Hmm, Audacity? It wouldn't be illegal since Cave Story isn't commercial.

Ok guys and gals, here it is:

Contents:

An unregistered interface.
Weapon and interface graphics for:
-USSOCOM
-Desert Eagles
-HK MP5
-Ak-74
-Steyr AUG
-Spas-12
-Ruger 77
-M79
-Barrett M82A1
-Flamer
-Rambo Bow
-Flamed Arrows
-Combat Knife
-Chainsaw
-M72 LAW
New txt files for names and the use of Courier New font (the cavestory font)
A new flag and flag backer (the thing that appears when the flag is in the base).
A complete set of all the object textures in soldat.
Some new spark gfx, with new flames and smoke that is just circles like in Cave Story.
New hair, helmet and cap.

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 11:56:19 pm »
Sounds... for weapons. Also few in game. Some weapons dont have exactly attack bullet or fire as in original game. If you want, I try make gosteks, something between Quote/Curly and Kazuma/Doctor with actual hairs/helmets/caps.
I see that project can be good/have potential or even popular if few things will be improved.

I think with Audacity will be possible to cut music background and save only neccessary lines.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 12:29:30 am by Henito Kisou »

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 04:34:24 am »
You can cut out the background music? Wow. Please, go ahead and try it out :D I have no idea of such things.

If you want, have a look at what I did with the helmet/hat and the hair. In the options it tells you what each of the 'hair's are (although Quote is actually just Kazuma with ear-thingies and the hat is just a thinner helmet). If you can make the soldat look like the robots then that would be great. There is a limit to my skill >.^ (although I think the weapons, helmet and hair turned out really nice).

Wait, I just saw that you mentioned using the turbocharge as the ammo icon. I'll look into it, thanks!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 04:37:14 am by Hiro »

Offline Temp3st

• Camper
  • Ever wonder what R2-D2 is doing now?
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 12:21:37 pm »
THNX SO MUCH!! I have discovered an awesome game, and possibly an awesome mod, make up some weps for m249 and mnigun, in silialar style to cave story. But sounds and maybe DL deluxe version of Cavestory with soundtrack and convert to soldat format, :P

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 06:33:53 pm »
Well, you could just buy soldat and then put in the mp3s which are linked up there somewhere.

Ok, I'll see about making some weapons.

Offline Tblazer13

• Major(1)
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 11:29:10 pm »
Pretty nice, I see you have an ingame sprite for the minimi. Hmm, how about hacking the cave story exe to get the sounds? You should work on the bullets next, they don't really fit being default and all.