Author Topic: /PlayDead command  (Read 5307 times)

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
/PlayDead command
« on: May 11, 2007, 06:47:18 am »
I was just thinking about useful slash-commands, and I came up with an idea-

Play dead.

It would be useful in R/S, DB, and normal modes.
of course, in non-survival modes, the body disappears, so you couldn't stay there long, or people would get suspicious.

This is by no means a "useless" command. It would be very tactical-like. For example, if someone has berserker, you would be able to act dead while he passes.

A possibility is that you would "overreact" (the ragdolls would fling wildly, stuff like that.)

Opinions?

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
Re: /PlayDead command
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 07:02:02 am »
i don't undestand it a lot but...
thats similar to /death and /blodydeath ?

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 07:13:31 am »
No. It would never be implemented, its not a useful tactic, it's a cheap and cowardly tactic.

f11
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 07:18:29 am »
Nice idea, but it just sounds way too cowardly for it to be acceptable as you'd have to shoot corpses to see if they are alive like some zombie film.

Maybe it could be a server option because of the fun 'haha, he doesn't know' factor of being the corpse, and the zombie film atmosphere of having to check bodies. But normally I'd be too preoccupied with watching out for incoming enemies to be keeping a watch on dead bodies as well.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 07:23:46 am by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline NorrisScott

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 08:18:06 am »
I utilize all the scenery and bloody corpses I can in maps like TW maps to gain an advantage on the opposing team by either A: waiting for all to pass, then running for flag or B: waiting for all to pass, then flanking the hell out of them.

"Playing dead" would ruin the fun of knowing you've really tricked your opponents, because it really IS hard to tell some bodies apart from corpses unless you just stare at them.

Basically: No. You can already do this just by utilizing your environment, and that makes it much more fun then a cheap command that does it for you. Be aware of your surroundings, and start doing it yourself.

Soldat Name: Kazuo Kiriyama

Offline O.R.I.O.N.

• Veteran
  • Thunk-a-dunk.
    • Diseased Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 09:14:28 am »
...meh.  Cowardice tactics.  Just go down swinging if you have to.

F11
To sum up my point: We had a multipage debate about toilet padding. (Putting TP in the water so you don't get splashed.)
And we still don't know if dead guys can keep a stiffy.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 12:34:38 pm »
This would be cool, like the Spy/assasin dude in Team Fortress :D In TW this would really be useful. Still yah Soldat is made for speed so ...
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 01:50:11 pm »
Going prone in a pile of dead people usually works just as well for me in Trench Wars, so I don't really see the point. Plus, I'd hate to have to
shoot corpses to see if they are alive like some zombie film.

Offline Snipufin

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 01:56:58 pm »
Question: How to get back alive?

/stopplayingdead ?
Name:     Snipufin
Position:    Soldier

Offline Cheeser

• Major(1)
  • The Pleaser
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 02:02:11 pm »
Why not just lay down? If there's alot of chaos around the area I'm in I occasionally do that so people think I'm dead, not laying. This would be cool, but as an option, not a definite thing.
Chuck Norris joke here.

Offline y0da

• Soldier
  • :: Chaos Hunters ::
    • [cH] Soldat Clan
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 03:05:44 pm »
This ain't Enemy Territory you fool! Besides, the body is mostly being thorn apart, so you wanna look like a pile of pixels? And another thing - the corpses dissapear. It's useless on clan wars. Better hide behind a rock...

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 03:19:53 pm »
Read the first post instead of assuming.

As a way to tell that he really didn't die if the enemy can see you, the ragdolls would go crazy, over acting.
Also, they would twitch, slightly, so if you look close you could see that they are fakes.

Also, It's not as cowardly as some other cheap tricks that are already in the game. It would just mean that you need to watch yourself in larger areas.

You would be able get out of it by simply moving. You would pick yourself up.

This ain't Enemy Territory you fool! Besides, the body is mostly being thorn apart, so you wanna look like a pile of pixels? And another thing - the corpses dissapear. It's useless on clan wars. Better hide behind a rock...

Point 1: So? It could still be a good tactic.
Point 2: It wouldn't look like "a pile of pixels," it would look like a body in an awkward position on the ground.
Point 3: I took that into account. "of course, in non-survival modes, the body disappears, so you couldn't stay there long, or people would get suspicious." That would be used to the assaulters advantage.

Any other crit?

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 03:40:25 pm »
This would be FUN.

I already do this in Dodgeball. I go prone in a corner just as we spawn, and wait for all else to die. Then the enemy has one left, and he's like "WTF? Why won't the game end?". So I jump up, surprise him while he's /pissing, and kill him.

It's not cowardly, it's an AMBUSH tactic. It'd be awesome for avoiding snipers, too. They think you got shot anyway.

And the "checking dead bodies" thing? If you could somehow tell that they're faking, then you don't need to. Maybe they should be doing breathing movements or something.

I support, but only if it's at least a bit obvious that someone's faking. You should be able to tell with a quick glance.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 03:42:36 pm »
Well, one part would be that they wouldn't be bloody.

Anyway, glad to have your support on this, MOE.

Offline Valorman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 04:01:04 pm »
Hell No. Little things like this can make the game overly complicated....Just hide in a bush

Offline T33D

• Major(1)
  • Ta Ha Ha
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 07:19:40 am »
dude, that would be nsty, but all you have to do is in some maps just hide in the bushes or next to a building, it's wiked fun just nadin somepne and listenni to em "wtf was that?"
ta ha ha
Skeet skeet, bang bang, yeaaaa, holla at cha boy

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 07:22:55 am »
Its called Feign death... not PlayDead or any other kindergarten word

Offline Mastadi

• Camper
  • What makes me a good demoman!?
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 07:32:49 am »
@up
I always wondered why in Unreal it was binded to "F"... but then stopped playing unreal, and stopped wondering too :]

@topic
Meh, i don't like it. Just prone, and enemy often willn't notice you. Unless he is a psychopatic killer who destroys everything not named polygon, scenery, flag, collidor or item kit >_> Or isn't blind.

Offline General Meevious

• Major
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 08:55:19 am »
haha, i would like this... load barret, play dead.. i mean "feign death" (emits macho non-kindergarten grunt).. what was that? you're pissing on my corpse and laughing? BOOM! time to switch places buddy! :P

as long as it took a while to settle into "dead" mode or get up out of it, this would be cool. :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 08:56:51 am by General Meevious »

Offline Snipufin

• Camper
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 11:27:45 am »
I would like this, it could be like that it would show that you killed yourself(with a nade ;) ) or sth.

total support

edit: it could stop playing dead by pressing any button except chat button or any F button.

And if it would fling yourself with the command(or even better, A SIMPLE BUTTON!), you could fling yourself away to the enemy flag if EFC is too far away :P
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 11:30:44 am by Snipufin »
Name:     Snipufin
Position:    Soldier