Author Topic: 'Newb' gun (Brainstorm)  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
'Newb' gun (Brainstorm)
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:58:29 pm »
First of all, I'd like to thank Avarax for putting that delightful Hexer script up on his server. Although it isn't the most fun thing in the world (read:I suck at it), programming the thing must have been quite the feat :D. The one problem I found, though, is that when lower levels are fighting the exceedingly superior higher levels, you get beat nine times out of ten. With an m79. And full complement of grenades.

Not to mention a couple buddies too.

Leaving the server (after having my butt served to me on a golden platter *cough*coda*cough*), I went to cool off in a small pub. As I flew around slaughtering Majors and the like, I started to wonder : could their frustration be the same as mine in Hexer ? While I stood blasting the brains out some Barrettard (boo spell correction), I figured a 'newb' gun might do the trick.

No, not a 'noob' gun, a 'newb' gun. Like what the XM was supposed to be :D. See a noob gun is one that everyone but the user finds annoying, like in the case of the m79 : it's always used as a kamikaze gun that often ends a very nice round (especialy in R/S or trenchwars).

So I propose this : we introduce a newb gun mod, something that takes little skill to use, but can effectively teach new players the basics of using a single shot weapon, or an auto. Without making 'em resort to explosives :D. Problem is, I have no idea how where to start on this mythical gun, so I need some ideas. The odds say that if you can come up with something, I can figure out how to make it work (unless it defies physics, no defying physics please). So please, post some ideas :D.

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline TigaHawk

• Major
  • AKA The Best
Re: 'Newb' gun (Brainstorm)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 07:01:43 pm »
Yes good job, question tho, what exactly is his server? because the selfkill ones do not work, the ec one is passworded so no one plays, and the one with the number ip just gives me free camera...
¤ ´¨)
¸.·´¸.·¤´¨) ¸.·¤¨) ¸.·¤´¨) ¸.·¤¨) ¸.·¤´¨) ¸.·¤¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` (¸. TigaHawk

Offline Raithah

• Camper
  • Life™
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 07:24:34 pm »
That wasn't really the point ... but anyways, try making sure your spectator button isn't clicked. That helps. Plus, make sure you aren't called Major, 'cuz he has a script set up to kick 'em right from the start :D. And finaly, go look it up in the Lobby ya lazy person, it's sitting right there :).

The preferred outcome of war is peace. Ironic, huh ?
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aliquam auctor lectus pulvinar neque. Vestibulum commodo nisl convallis nisi. Aliquam in magna. Quisque orci. Duis sed nunc eu quam egestas feugiat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nulla auctor turpis non urna. Sed porttitor. Donec et dui non odio.

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 07:45:38 pm »
The first step would be to have all the weapons get slightly boosted, but have the same speed and fire interval so people get used to the curve and bink. Perhaps the semi-automatic weapons would get a larger clip and a lower fire interval, so people can get used to the curve faster.
The advanced training set-up would be to nerf all the weapons. Longer fire intervals, lower damage, teaching people to make all of their shots count. I made a mod which gives all the weapons single-shot clips, high damage, but the same speed, so as to make myself more aware of learning the curve and how moving affects it.

I'd like to see what you come up with. I like my ideas, but this is your mod.
<3*xwd
love conquers all