Author Topic: -1 for selfkills  (Read 1771 times)

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
-1 for selfkills
« on: May 17, 2007, 05:09:18 pm »
I think that this would be a great idea for the most part. Most other games have it, and it would be a good deterrent for people who spam grenades and M79s and are willing to sacrifice themselves in order to kill you and get a point. This way, when someone kills you and they kill themselves they get a point, but then lose it because they killed themselves. Soldat will need to work on the deaths for no reason thing (like in realistic mode), but I think it would be a good idea to stop suicidal killers in this game.

Offline Mastadi

• Camper
  • What makes me a good demoman!?
Re: -1 for selfkills
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 05:30:11 pm »
Wasn't it like that, long, long ago (In 1.2.1, i think)?

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 05:35:43 pm »
Screw that becuase in realistic mode when idiot teammates throw random nades and it hits you but doesnt kill u still hit the ground so hard that u selfkill.. you shouldnt be punished for your idiotic teammates...
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 05:38:54 pm »
I support this as an option, because although that might be annoying with my frequent selfkills, (I really should be more careful with nades...) it could add a degree of caution and get people thinking more about consequences of excessive explosives.

About realistic mode, it's a simple matter of only making WEAPON selfkills detract a point.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 05:47:14 pm »
It'll be nice to make those M79'ers think twise, but it might also make nade spamming less fun. You could say anti-nade spamming is a good thing, though personaly I really don't mind it as everyone has the same limited amount and it's nice to decide weaither to just throw one and save some for later, or go all out- 'Activating auxillery exlosive patton #5' *Vhooosh *nade spam*.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 05:49:24 pm by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 07:10:25 pm »
First, Soldat isn't like any other game. In those games, you take a slower pace. In Soldat... Well it's a game of speed, quickness. You don't have time to be careful, you have to kill or do what you need to do.

Second, it's part of the game. If you get killed, then they accidentally kill themselves... well so what? They stopped you, you stopped them. That's it. It's not easy to be an intentional 'suicide' bomber in Soldat.

Third, they're taking different actions to prevent nade spam. ... Think the added 50% self-damage might be something?
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 07:31:35 pm »
Soldat isn't being made by sheep... Going below 0 is not necessary. Players already loose a point if they /kill themselves.

Offline waynechriss

• Major
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 07:32:20 pm »
I agree with BondJamesBond. That is just part of the game. I seemingly accidently kill myself when nading someone, and the other person get's blown to oblivion. Was it intentional? No.

Purposely or not, the enemy got stopped. It's your fault for not take proper precautions when facing up to overzealous bombers.

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 11:19:21 am »
Well I think that we should be careful with the idea, dont get me wrong. I know that there are possible problems with this. But what is bugging the crap out of me is people sacrificing themselves in order to take me out. I just think that for your own weapon inflicted damage, I think you should lose a point. Maybe not for falling or something like that.

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 11:34:06 am »
Option.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline JonWood007

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 12:06:26 pm »
Yeah, thats a good idea. Making it an option would work.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 12:47:47 pm »
I don't think it's such a good idea.
'Suicidal peops' are already punished by +1 deaths, and as I see it, your deathcount is much more revealing than your killcount.

I'd much rather have a 10/4KD ratio than a 20/15, see my point? It's not how many kills you got compared to everyone else, it's how many you got compared to your death.
Any idiot can spray from some safe location, and just randomely kill oncoming enemies. It's killing/ infiltrating/ rushing/ guarding/whatever without dying that's the hard part.

Sorry, I just don't think there's any need for this. "Kills" is meant to show how many kills you've got during a game, don't change that. ...Which brings me to another suggestion, one that i've made twice before: Let the damn flagscore show itself instead of in the killcount! DAMMIT!
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Spec. Ops

• Major
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 04:00:32 pm »
idk why people are denying this. Its just something small and makes perfect sense. Why not?

Offline Magic Odd Effect

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 09:08:55 pm »
Because people would have negative points. And a negative K:D ratio is kind of weird.

The other problem is with Realistic Mode, something explodes near your head, and you get pushed into the ground and die. Why? Because the explosion forced you downward. You wouldn't die in normal mode from that kind of explosion. The game calculates that force of you going downward the same as fall damage, so you DIE. And a lot of selfkills are generated in realistic servers because of that very bug. So, it should be an option.
Don't say that you're Magic. Because you aren't, and I am.
All-around good with weapons that aren't long range, except in TW.
Now be careful out there, soldier.
Best Newbie in the May 2007 Soldatforums Member Awards!

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 09:52:37 pm »
Echo trail is more right than any one has ever been... ever...  Its all about the deaths not the kills.
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon