Author Topic: Tired of Lost Posts?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
Tired of Lost Posts?
« on: June 30, 2007, 07:26:41 pm »
There are a few bugs in the forums that force you to lose your posts without actually posting them -- this can be especially annoying if you've just written some long diatribe condemning Frenchmen for creating the delicious quick bread known as crepes (or, by certain people, "those rolly pancakey things") only to realize that it is now lost somewhere on the internet.

This greasemonkey script solves that problem.  Usually.  Though it sometimes deliberately deletes the backup after it thinks you've posted when, in fact, the forums think otherwise.

While we're on the subject, this user script does a nice job of allowing you to resize the otherwise unwieldy message area.  Ctrl+Enter/Space expands it while Ctrl+Shift+Enter/Space reduces it.  For some reason, it only works on the post preview page, but that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Enjoy.

You'll need both Firefox and the Greasemonkey Addon, by the way.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 07:28:54 pm by VijchtiDoodah »

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
Re: Tired of Lost Posts?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 07:28:38 pm »
What problems that cause you to lose your message?  You mean like forum bugs (which I've not seen any of in a while) or stuff like internet connection exploding, me restarting the webserver/etc ?

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 07:31:07 pm »
Forum bugs such as the forums telling you that you've already posted that message, that you can't post again until 30 seconds has passed, or by logging you out as well as random errors when the servers are under stress (timeouts and 404s).

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 07:39:29 pm »
A simple solution that I perform is I copy my posts before posting them just in case one of these unfortunate incidents occur. Then I can just hit reply again and paste my post until it goes through. :)

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 07:40:38 pm »
A simple solution that I perform is I copy my posts before posting them just in case one of these unfortunate incidents occur. Then I can just hit reply again and paste my post until it goes through. :)

I do this too, but in the rare case that I get an error or have a problem, Firefox also (by default) saves form information, so I can just hit 'back' and my post is still there.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 07:47:43 pm »
Yeah, Firefox usually does a great job of saving information, but for some reason it occasionally craps out.

On long posts, I'll copy the text as well, but that's more just a force of habit from before I had the greasemonkey script.

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 07:50:34 pm »
Yeah, Firefox usually does a great job of saving information, but for some reason it occasionally craps out.

On long posts, I'll copy the text as well, but that's more just a force of habit from before I had the greasemonkey script.
Yes, occasionally Firefox will forget information, but it's typically handy.

Also, I actually only copy my posts if they were long like you mentioned. Otherwise, I just retype it. I have time... (Even when I get a job, I won't be working more than a few hours a day anyways.)

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 10:31:50 pm »
I get this bug around 40% of all my posts...

Offline Fluffy

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 04:33:42 am »
I have no problems.

Long live Nazi-Communism!

Offline chrisgbk

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 01:29:09 pm »
I find, that under IE at least, the bug with having messages show up as already posted only happens if I'm multitasking, and have multiple replies being written at the same time; once the first one goes through the second one will come back as already posted, when it wasn't. In that case, all I do is hit refresh, and resend the form information, and it works fine.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 03:16:37 pm »
I find, that under IE at least, the bug with having messages show up as already posted only happens if I'm multitasking, and have multiple replies being written at the same time; once the first one goes through the second one will come back as already posted, when it wasn't. In that case, all I do is hit refresh, and resend the form information, and it works fine.

yeah, I find the same for Firefox as well.  I haven't thought about it until now, but that is definitely what I'm doing to cause this