Author Topic: Public Server Alliance  (Read 4527 times)

Offline Snowden

• Major
Public Server Alliance
« on: June 04, 2007, 08:20:16 am »
Some Soldat players think that public servers are meaningless. They think they don't have to play for real in a public server because public servers contain only noobs. They think they don't have to try in a public server. Some think that public servers are only good for chatting and organizing clan scrimmages.

Some of us are disgusted by this mentality.

Popular belief to the contrary, public servers don't contain only noobs. They usually contain a mix of low, medium, and high skilled players. Playing in a server of mixed skill can be as challenging and exciting as any clan match. You often need to try your best in order for your team to win. Writing people off because they only play in noob servers is stupid, since "noob" is so vague that it's meaningless. All levels of the game, from public servers to clan tournaments, have varying degrees of skill within. All players, from beginners to veterans, also have fluctuating skill levels; beginners can show sparks of brilliance in a public server, just as a veteran can fall in a slump in a clan match.

Who you play with shouldn't motivate the degree of effort you put into the game. The game itself should. Each game mode of Soldat has distinct goals within themselves, such as "capture the enemy flag" and "defend the black flag" and "kill as many players as possible". Accomplishing those goals should be your motivation, regardless of who you're playing with. If you think you're too good to play seriously against public players, you probably aren't as good as you think; you clearly lack the drive and love for the game that all great competitors have.

Public servers are also vital to the Soldat community. Everyone joins a public server before they join a clan; they're the only way that new players get introduced to the game. Some of us actually find public servers funner than clans, or we don't have time to be in a clan if we wanted to. Thinking of public servers as meaningless dumping grounds is a slap in the face to a good portion of the Soldat community. Clan matches are meaningful, but that doesn't mean public matches are meaningless.

In short, public servers aren't there for chatting it up with your buddies; for comforting you while you eat your dinner; for organizing track meets with your clan; for increasing your statistics; for fragging noobs; or for dilly-dallying around in general. They're there for PLAYING TO WIN, no differently from any clan match.

If you think public servers deserve more respect, then join me in the Public Server Alliance. Just sign here. Optionally, you can add .pub or similar to the end of your name, even if you're in a clan.

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
Re: Public Server Alliance
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 08:24:42 am »
Hear hear Snowden, hear hear!

Every now and then, I join a pub and have intense matches with other good players. It's great fun and very good practise. I saw a .pub player today wondering what it meant. I always find my answers here. ;D

*signs* Count me in buddy.
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 08:27:16 am »
To be frank, I probably fit into the category that disgusts you ( and the mysterious strangers who think like you ). Publics are like botmatches to me, mostly.

However, a while back we did a thing called public bashing. Basically, some of us quakenet jockeys would hop in on ventrilo, target a public server and invade it. We often played for an hour or even more, laughing our asses of as we mingled with the people we look down upon, with the challange provided by the other players on ventrilo. Fun times, too bad we haven't done it in a while.

Thought I'd mention that, incase it helps you in your progress. Otherwise, as an occasional public slaughterer, count me in: would be glad to see those days again where skilled people were found on common pubs.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 08:58:04 am »
I sign, cause pubs are fun. Still, the best games I've played have all been cw's, pubs don't stand a chance up against a 3v3 with a known team and a good enemy.
Your big on u13 ctf right snowden? cause most of what I play is eC TW and Fun Maps...

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 02:51:10 pm »
pubs are awesome. I hate clanwars because losing is either because my team sucks or I suck, pubs it doesn't matter as much, it isn't cutthroat, it is actually fun
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »
I get the most fun in pubs. Thats why i stopped being in  clans anymore... they just became more of an obligation then a fun thing to do. I'll organize a clan for the summer tho so the dudes I know can play with each other. I lost interest in real clans also because I'm not a really good player. I have my shinny moments now and then but somedays I just suck. Gaming is all about having fun, so if I can't have fun why bother playing.

So count me in aswell altough for different things than demonic

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 03:40:15 pm »
Gathers have killed pubs skillwise. Gathers build good team players as opposed to massive 6v6 pubs. That's all I have to say about that and you probably hate me for that hehe.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 03:41:43 pm »
Gathers have killed pubs skillwise. Gathers build good team players as opposed to massive 6v6 pubs. That's all I have to say about that and you probably hate me for that hehe.
I think gathers are more of an individual skill thing, while cws are team and pubs are fun. All in all it combines to make an awesome game.

Offline Avarax

• Veteran
    • Official Hexer & MMod site
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 03:56:34 pm »
i'm one of those guys who are too lazy to kanenify themselves and suck @ teamwork over vent which isn't the best thing if you're in a clan (i guess 2Wai keeps me for the fame, mwahahahaha.... ha.... ha... hmmm... ).

therefore, i love pubs.
I like to have one Martini
Two at the very most
Three I'm under the table
Four I'm under the host

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 04:13:52 pm »
In short, public servers aren't there for chatting it up with your buddies; for comforting you while you eat your dinner; for organizing track meets with your clan; for increasing your statistics; for fragging noobs; or for dilly-dallying around in general.

But this is the reason why I play in pubs. In what position are you to say I can't have fun while messing around and fragging noobs or eating my dinner. To me, pubs are there to 'comfort' me. I don't need to waste mental energy actually trying my hardest when I could have much more fun screwing around. Play to win? Thats for clan wars. Play for fun? Thats for public games.
I have a Mac so I can't play with you guys no more :(
(psst MM make a Mac version)

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 04:19:25 pm »
go chat with your clannies on msn or something, and definitely don't take the 11th spot on u13 so you can eat your steak.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Mancer

• Camper
  • Legacy of Poontage
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 04:26:32 pm »
Just because I happen to destroy everyone while eating AND goofing off doesnt mean I don't deserve that spot. Maybe those people who actually care enough to join Public Server Alliance and "Play to Win" should get better than me so they can take it. Oh wait...

(Or they could just spend an hour camping with a barret to get a 250:35 kill ratio so they can take first for a few weeks.)
I have a Mac so I can't play with you guys no more :(
(psst MM make a Mac version)

Offline Twistkill

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
  • The words of your tongue blister like fire
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 05:22:05 pm »
Yes, I agree with you. I am an active Pub player, my current favorite one is the Goo Vat, (DM) which actually happens to be frequented by skilled players. I really don't get too many servers with good ping, and it is one of the few I do, so I'm happy. I will join this alliance. =)

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." -Proverbs 12:16

Add me on PSN: Newfrag. Just make sure to tell me you're from SF. :P

Offline STRIPE

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 05:44:13 pm »
Agree, PUB DM is the funniest thing in soldat, especially when u meet polite people  :-*

Offline GluLm

• Camper
  • Polybugs' nightmare
    • maps pack project
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 04:57:17 pm »
Not bad.
Personally, I only play in public servers, playing fair with new bloods to entertain them and making them feel at home with the game.
I'd join you, but heh, I only play 1.3.1 from now on... I support you though!
Bring back Soldat 1.3.1! New bullet trails DIE!

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 05:41:30 pm »
The useless conversations are part of what makes a pub fun. You're able to talk about stuff, like if the map you're playing on sucks, or pointing out holes in the defense or, my favorite, immature yet non-offensive strings of comments ("BOOM!" "X.x" "Great, I just got these clothes washed", etc.). But yeah, save the organizing chat or not directly-game related stuff for IRC, Vent or your preferred IM client.
This is also why I'm in a clan which frequents a public server. While we do have a private server, most of the time we just all hop on Vent, join Fracs INF and kick ass.

In any case, I support your most of your goals and will increase my Soldat name by 66% pending clearance from my clan leader.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:45:11 pm by xtishereb »
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 05:47:39 pm »
How many successful online games have you seen without a heap of public servers ?  ::)

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2007, 01:18:28 am »
My experiences vary quite alot. I go in and play for awhile and either do really good or absolutley get my ass handed to me. That's never fun. But I always love me a nemesis!

But to be honest, I find that I try harder when I'm playing normal CTF than when I'm playing R/S CTF.
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline The Philanthropist

• Camper
  • .:|TGIF|:. Philly
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 01:04:03 am »

But to be honest, I find that I try harder when I'm playing normal CTF than when I'm playing R/S CTF.

:'(

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 01:35:36 am »
That's because I'm simply more comfortable with having fun in R/S servers. I usually go to Normal servers to vent my frustration and practice ret whoring.
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came