Author Topic: Minigun balance  (Read 9482 times)

Offline papercut

• Camper
  • Soldat ingame name = 40oz Casualtie
Minigun balance
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:29:14 pm »
Is it just me, or does it seem like every single soldat update, the weapon balance guys seem to make a harder and harder attempt to deter people from using it? The minigun seems a lot less useful than more. Even secondary weapons are better. Something should totally be done.

Obviously, the gun has it's bad rep as the start of spray fests.

However, the gun does not have a chance of being anything useful in any type of battle other than spraying and praying.

Why hasn't that gun been modified? I say less range and more damage. Maybe in exchange to being different than a superfast MP5 with a triple sized clip, it could possibly overheat if held in fire too long. It probably shouldn't have any bink either because of it's abnormally long barrels. That's about it.
<The SoldatForums Applauder>
"I use the Spreyr AUG. :)"

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: Minigun balance
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:05:42 pm »
It's better now than it was in 1.3.1, but I agree, its still weak. I think we should get rid of the startup and make it overheat like the stat gun.

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 10:17:11 pm »
i think they should just get rid of it
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

Offline chazzer_

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 04:13:53 pm »
The only real purpose it serves is to give a boost

Offline adadqgg

• Soldier
  • Yuri for the win ~desu
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 04:17:16 pm »
maybe they can make it more accurate, less damage, faster firing speed.

Shikabane Hime... Undead girls... Dual-wielding Mac 11s... Epic bayonets... WIN!

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 04:22:27 pm »
faster firing speed?!?!?!? are u kidding me
that gun serves no purpose 99 percent of the time... get rid of it and replace it with something else.
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 04:27:52 pm »
My rebalance:

Code: [Select]
[XM214 Minigun]
Damage=75
FireInterval=5
Ammo=80
ReloadTime=346
Speed=290
Bulletstyle=1
StartUpTime=45
Bink=-2
MovementAcc=1
Recoil=0
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 04:32:49 pm by mxyzptlk »

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline #38

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 06:39:28 pm »
Getting rid of it would be one option, but I would rather they improve it.

Honestly, they haven't even tried to fix it. I mean they only changed the damage and start up time a little bit for 1.4.1, how pathetic is that? anyone can think of that....that didn't solve the problem at all. Sure, it's capable as of now still to kill, but the big problem with it is bullet not registering due to lag.

(for those who won't believe me, try to use it against bots offline, and youll notice it's actually very efficient in killing with no lag)

so instead of making it go even faster (more lag) they should slow it down a bit so lagging isn't a problem. at least take off the start up time, and to stop from spraying, the overheat should do.

I can't imagine how powerful it might've been at one time that to overcome the overpowerness, the beta testers started to think with their balls and crippled the gun with ridiculously long reload time, and a ridiculously bink with long start up time.
Honest, why hasn't it been fixed yet, the problem existed for over a year now
Real Men Drill Deep

6th_account

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 06:47:15 pm »
#38, before you go bashing us you should do sum research.

We didn't touch the startuptime for 1.4, though we took down the selfbink to 60%. Also the minigun has always had this startup- and reload time.

As for the comming patch, minigun will get significantly better. Perhaps a bigger buff than that of 1.3.1->1.4.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 07:47:32 pm »

Honestly, they haven't even tried to fix it. I mean they only changed the damage and start up time a little bit for 1.4.1, how pathetic is that? anyone can think of that....that didn't solve the problem at all. Sure, it's capable as of now still to kill, but the big problem with it is bullet not registering due to lag.

(for those who won't believe me, try to use it against bots offline, and youll notice it's actually very efficient in killing with no lag)

so instead of making it go even faster (more lag) they should slow it down a bit so lagging isn't a problem. at least take off the start up time, and to stop from spraying, the overheat should do.

I can't imagine how powerful it might've been at one time that to overcome the overpowerness, the beta testers started to think with their balls and crippled the gun with ridiculously long reload time, and a ridiculously bink with long start up time.

#38, check out my balance, it does pretty much what you want: Increaces power, lowers rate (a little),lowers selfbink, lowers start time, lowers ammo.

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 08:58:01 am »
Problem is the damage at low-range. It rips EVERYTHING in millions of pieces just in a second or so, and 90% of bullets will continue their fly to next opponent. Also, it gives nice boost to the user, and to the one which it is used at.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 01:14:25 pm »
The minigun can't be properly balanced just by tweaking stats.

People have been suggesting for years the idea of adding a spin-down time to match the minigun's spin-up time.  It's a very simple idea -- when you stop firing the minigun, the barrels don't instantly stop spinning (which was a bizarre design choice anyway), but the spin slows down gradually over several seconds.  This would make minigun "burst-fire" much more practical and make the self-bink less devastating.

Offline #38

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 03:45:11 pm »
Even better!!! so the beta dudes barely touched the problem at all from 1.3-1.4!!!! sweet.
Date Posted: May 23, 2007, 03:41:58 pm

#38, check out my balance, it does pretty much what you want: Increaces power, lowers rate (a little),lowers selfbink, lowers start time, lowers ammo.

i copied it over and tried it against some bots, it worked out pretty good. now if only the beta dudes will listen to suggestions for once.....

Date Posted: May 23, 2007, 03:42:32 pm
Problem is the damage at low-range. It rips EVERYTHING in millions of pieces just in a second or so, and 90% of bullets will continue their fly to next opponent. Also, it gives nice boost to the user, and to the one which it is used at.
The thing is, at close range, pretty much any gun starts to oblierate. Ruger basicly is impossible to miss in some what untrained hands, and deagles are also very easy to adjust even without much practice.

I just think that one of the 10 main soldat weapons is completely crippled for over maybe 2 versions now and they should just make one decisive crack at it, and see what they can do.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:47:09 pm by #38 »
Real Men Drill Deep

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 01:34:30 pm »
It's fine how it is now in 1.4 ... the weapons that really need changing now are the MP5 which needs to deal more damage and the m79 which needs to nerfed somehow.. maybe with a startup delay..

Minigun is the hardest primary to kill with, so stop bitching about it please.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 01:44:02 pm »
The spin off time would be a great solution. Maybe even combined with overheating...
hmm lemme think about this for a little

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2007, 03:26:14 pm »
Ok, the minigun is the one gun that doesn't need to be nerfed at all.

The gradual spin time (Where it spins down, but the sooner you click again, the lower the spin up time is) is a good idea.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2007, 03:54:04 pm »
Yeah... also what would rule is if you continued to hold fire after firing off all the bullets, the barrel continues to spin but empty... just like in Predator... that would be awesome.  :P
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 06:48:59 pm »
i currently almost like it, just a little bit more damage and that's it. Add slight bink and a little less start up and it would be a great support gun
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2007, 07:09:34 pm »
In 1.4.1, it was buffed a little in the bink area. This is very welcome.

Offline ChromedGun

• Camper
  • Angel of Death
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 08:09:05 am »
You should be able to keep the barrel spinning by tapping fire or something(people would be able to hear you coming if you do though)

@Kryp -- go buy some skills. use /command to bring up the commands.