Author Topic: Lobby filter improvements  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Snowden

• Major
Lobby filter improvements
« on: May 03, 2007, 03:49:53 am »
The current filters cannot account for the following situations:
-You like CTF, DM, and INF, but dislike all other game types.
-You dislike survival, realistic, and advance mode
-You dislike modded servers
-You like bonuses
-You like bots
-Etc.

Proposed solutions:

1. Make the "Game Type" filter into a list with check boxes, so you can check and uncheck which game types you like or dislike.

2. For the "Other" filters, give us three options for any given filter: yes, no, both. Here's what I mean:

Dedicated?
-Yes
-No
-Both

Passworded?
-Yes
-No
-Both

Bots?
-Yes
-No
-Both

Survival Mode?
-Yes
-No
-Both

Realistic Mode?
-Yes
-No
-Both

Bonuses?
-Yes
-No
-Both

Advance Mode?
-Yes
-No
-Both

Weapons Mod?
-Yes
-No
-Both

BattlEye Secure?
-Yes
-No
-Both

The default option for each would be both (when all are set to both, all types of servers would be listed). Now, why anyone would seek out servers that are passworded, insecure, or non-dedicated, I don't know, but we may as well be comprehensive. In terms of the GUI, I'm not sure how it would be implemented, but I'm sure Michal could think of something.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
Re: Lobby filter improvements
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:28:41 am »
This has come up before and I don't see why MM hasn't put this in yet...  Basically all there'd need to be is a check or an X in the checkbox next to these things
- put [check] in the checkbox next to realistic to only show realistic servers or put [X] in the checkbox next to realistic to show non-realistic servers.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 08:59:18 am »
When developing the new lobby we all agreed that an option of "Yes/Dont Care" is all that was needed, I don't know if this will change...

Offline Snowden

• Major
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 03:53:26 pm »
This has come up before and I don't see why MM hasn't put this in yet...  Basically all there'd need to be is a check or an X in the checkbox next to these things
- put [check] in the checkbox next to realistic to only show realistic servers or put [X] in the checkbox next to realistic to show non-realistic servers.

Having only two options, [✓] and [✗], wouldn't really solve the problem. After all, we already have two options, [✓] and [  ]. If limited to [✓] or [✗], there would be no way to show both realistic and non-realistic servers. We need three options—[✓], [✗], [✓+✗]—in order for the filters to be useful to everyone.

Offline Serial K!ller

• Camper
    • Soldat Mods Archive
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 04:24:18 pm »
Yeah three options would be very useful, because now you can not filter out servers with weapon mods, advance mode, realistic mode etc

Offline R1ZE

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 05:08:09 am »

Having only two options, [✓] and [✗], wouldn't really solve the problem. After all, we already have two options, [✓] and [  ]. If limited to [✓] or [✗], there would be no way to show both realistic and non-realistic servers. We need three options—[✓], [✗], [✓+✗]—in order for the filters to be useful to everyone.

You need three options, but you don't need three boxes. Let's use having realistic mode as an example:

Scenario #1

Realistic: Yes [✓] | No [   ]

Under this setting, the lobby filters the list so that only servers with realistic enabled are shown.

Scenario #2:

Yes [   ] | No [✗]

Under this setting, the lobby filters the list so that only servers with realistic mode disabled are shown.

Scenario #3:

Yes [   ] | No [   ]

Under this setting, the realistic mode filtering is disabled, and both games with realistic mode on/off are listed.

Not filling in either box would disable filtering, and show both sets of results. This way you can save space.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 05:10:08 am by R1ZE »

Offline Ender Wiggin

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 10:00:36 am »
Or you could fill in both and get nothing  :D

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 12:29:35 pm »
I think the lobby filter should remain as it is, only another option should be there, "Custom".

You could the custom checkbox in the options menu like said above. The reason why I'd wanna keep the lobby filter box reletively unchanges is because I(back when I played) would often change my setup. This would be slightly annoying if the list of available options was huge, yeah?

Otherwise I support it. Brilliant suggestion.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 12:33:16 pm »
I think another option should be:

Server name: (type in name as correctly as you can)

And all close matches appear. Like a server search engine.

Or maybe even an server ip searcher.
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline Ender Wiggin

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 12:41:21 pm »
Or maybe an option to filter out certain maps that you don't like, or certain maps that you do want to play.

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 01:12:48 pm »
I support this suggestion, the way R1ZE said. And it would be good to filter server names also.
urraka