Poll

Was The British Empire Evil? (Please comment if you vote!)

Yes
23 (69.7%)
No
10 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: The British Empire (An Empire of Evil?)  (Read 7373 times)

Offline Deadeye Rob

• Camper
The British Empire (An Empire of Evil?)
« on: May 25, 2007, 04:55:06 pm »
It has recently come to my attention that a book has been published that damns the British Empire.

It accuses it for (Near Enough) every single negative issue or event. From events as big as World War 1 & World War 2 all the way to bad music from ColdPlay and the Beatles! (Even Global Warming!)

Being British i am obviously outraged by this book and its so called 'Historical evidence'.

With historical reference i admit that some aspects of the British Empire was wrong and harmful. However if it was not for its growth, we would never have lived in the world of technology that we do now.
Most importantly (For all you americans who support the book!) we would not have colonised the New World and there would be no America!

Here is a few Youtube radio recordings from the BBC about this book. Make up your mind!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBULfTTdFl4
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGQzGmTYc4Y
Talk Show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M70V38ZqVVU

British Empire Program 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07zBaB_yUoc

Empire1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_CG5JlVM8c

Please if you intend to vote on the polls or even make a comment (Damning or Praising) please back it up with some historical reference please?
____________________________________________________________________________________

In my personal oppinion the Empire was not 'Evil' the same was as the Roman Empire was not Evil. Britian had the disire to expand do to pressure from other European countries who wanted the same (France, Spain etc).

When Britian controlled parts of Africa and other areas, it brought trade, technology and (Some would argue) Religion and society.

And who is this man to blame us for fighting in World War2!!! If we did we would be Nazis!
We treated most indigenous peoples with options, they were given a choice to live with us and adopt our culture. If they chose not to we would continue to influence them but not invade their culture (Unless it invlolved barbaric murder).

The Americans, well, just look what they did to the Native Indians! They Forced their culture upon them! Dont try blaming us for Veitnam that was your choice your fault!

This guy is only making this book to get money! and i bet that with a title like that it will sell to the British public on a curiosity scale.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:02:27 pm by Deadeye Rob »

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
Re: The British Empire (An Empire of Evil?)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 05:12:47 pm »
I think that colonialism and imperialism had some negative impacts on some countries, mainly India, where it caused famine and during the Irish potato famine, where they didn't do jack for Ireland.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 05:16:23 pm »
Well what do you expect from a youtube member named 'britishreparations'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEyqwTkXmDw&mode=related&search=

Unless I misunderstood it, apparently the Duke of Wellington lost at Waterloo and Winston Churchill was 'buddies' with Hiter. Yeah sure, it all makes sense now!  ::)

At the most I'd say it was arrogant, but certainly not evil.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:19:07 pm by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 05:16:38 pm »
Those things may well be a result of Britain's actions in the past, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's Britain's fault.  That's a bit like saying that mad cow disease is your fault because you're currently eating a hamburger.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 05:31:46 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAv_iAxMR8c  O.o

"Irish, Scot and Turk": Scot!? It's the British Empire, not the English Empire.

"Britian has spent the last the last 500 years ruining our world": Ya, with all those evil inventions'n'all, such as advances in medicine- no doubt evil mediance from evil medical school  ::)

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/inventors/brit.shtml - Just googled it, so I don't know how biased/untrue it is.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:34:21 pm by SDFilm »

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 05:39:32 pm »
What exactly has Britain done that's so awful?

Where to begin? By our analysis, the crimes of Britain fall into four major categories:

Genocide. Modern Britain was founded through the systematic erasure of indigenous culture and language. The English rounded up natives, seized their property, and forced them to relinquish their heritage and take on British language and culture as their own. Anyone who dissented faced extermination. This practice began in Scotland, Wales and Ireland and soon spread all over the world, where the British Empire plundered natural resources and enslaved native peoples then left without building the stable infrastructure or governments necessary for self-sufficiency.

The Industrial Revolution. Beginning in the 18th century, Britain began making our lives worse through the introduction of machines in the workplace. The health, safety, and wages of workers took a back seat to owners' greed for ever-higher output and profits. The skies above the city—first London, then the world—were filled with black smoke. Waters were poisoned with noxious chemicals. Under the careless watch Britain's elite, the Industrial Revolution got off to a horrible start, the consequences of which have continued to ring down through the centuries. The melting of the polar icecaps, the loss of countless plants and animal species, and the imperiled condition of the human race on a planet made poisonous by misapplied technology are all a consequence of British negligence and hunger to accumulate wealth at any cost.

Global Misrule. The terrorist threat has its roots in British mismanagement of the Middle East, particularly Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia. Britain's imperialist past has so enraged Muslim extremists. Now America is deploying our sons, daughters, and tax dollars to clean up the mess that Britain made. The deaths caused by all the major wars of the 19th and early 20th century could have been prevented, or at least lessened, if the British hadn't waited until their backs were up against the wall before getting into the action. Most of the worst tyrants in power through the end of the 20th century were put there by the British, or came to power by filling the power vacuum the British Empire left behind.

Bad Inventions. Machine guns, slums, prisons, child labor, bad hygiene, the Black Plague, concentration camps, you name it. If it hurts people, the British probably came up with it.

Strangely enough, Britain has been very aggressive about making other countries pay for their historical misdeeds. Like a herd of raging soccer hooligans looting their rival's capital after a victory, they've extracted exorbitant reparations payments from Germany, France, and China, among others. Now it's their turn to pay.

what a fucking dumbass.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline karmazon

• Major
  • Impossible is a dare.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 06:31:48 pm »
It's true, if the evil Brits never invented all those machines we would have no refined carbs and no fat people.
Plan B is don't fail. - Smegma
I hate emotions.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 06:38:04 pm »
I blame the USA for all evuls and the British empire for colonizing america. So basicaly you brits are responsible for creating a person called George W. Bush. Shame on you, shame on you...

Offline xtishereb

• Flagrunner
  • I swear, my chainsaw killed you on its own.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 08:04:03 pm »
... mainly India, where it caused famine ...
Oh come on, India has been having periodic mass deaths due to famine or plague outbreaks for pretty much all of its recorded history.

I don't feel like checking out those links right now. I'll just throw some of my knowledge around like a football and hope I don't break anything. :P

Having taken an Anglo-centric US History course, I'm not really the most impartial observer, but it seems the actions of the British Empire resulted in more good outcomes than bad.
Having taken a AP US History course, I know that many historical actions and outcomes were a result of many complicated events intertwining together. Blaming one ethnicity for everything is racism, isn't it? Besides, all countries have done horrible, horrible things to some people at one time or another. To name a few, let's start with the Spanish treatment of indigenous peoples in the 16th century, the American government's policies on Native Americans and the Armenian Genocide, which I think may have been the inspiration for the Holocaust, another bad thing.

Moral: Some people are going to take history and twist it around to prove their point.
When Britian controlled parts of Africa and other areas, it brought trade, technology and (Some would argue) Religion and society.
I'm pretty sure the Muslims beat you to the punch there, Rob.

The Americans, well, just look what they did to the Native Indians! They Forced their culture upon them! Dont try blaming us for Veitnam that was your choice your fault!
It's not my fault people who lived in my country 200 years ago wanted to get more land at any cost, even if it meant stealing it from other people.
And Vietnam was all Cold War politics, if I'm not mistaken.
<3*xwd
love conquers all

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • &quot;forum's-rebellious-cool-guy&quot;
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 08:13:44 pm »
africa wouldn't be all poor if it weren't for britian

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 08:17:47 pm »
... mainly India, where it caused famine ...
Oh come on, India has been having periodic mass deaths due to famine or plague outbreaks for pretty much all of its recorded history.
The British had them make cotton to be shipped off rather then make enough food for themselves, they also monopolized all the goods sold in the country. Remember Ghandi?

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • &quot;forum's-rebellious-cool-guy&quot;
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 08:20:08 pm »
ghandi had it coming

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 08:24:52 pm »
Remember Ghandi?
Gandhi was also British-educated as a lawyer. The British Empire was not decisively 'evil'. While they impoverished and enslaved them, they also helped industrialise them.

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 08:37:48 pm »
Remember Ghandi?
Gandhi was also British-educated as a lawyer. The British Empire was not decisively 'evil'. While they impoverished and enslaved them, they also helped industrialise them.
An english education did a lot of good when they arrested him and many others.

Offline frogboy

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 09:24:42 pm »
No, but western occupation certainly would've helped India as a whole, which is one of the fastest growing economies, and one of the largest economies in the world.

Offline #38

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 09:34:11 pm »
No, in this world, if you don't look out for yourself you get hurt. The brits did what they had to do.

i voted yes though 'cause i'm all for USA!
Real Men Drill Deep

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 10:00:07 pm »
No, but western occupation certainly would've helped India as a whole, which is one of the fastest growing economies, and one of the largest economies in the world.
Imperialism didn't help India, the whole point was to exploit them, they made transportation for the Europeans, they made schools for the Europeans, The only reason they ever helped India was to keep them from rioting.

Offline n00bface

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 10:37:50 pm »
HELLO, HAVE YOU GUYS EVER HEARD OF SATIRE?

Offline Deadeye Rob

• Camper
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 07:44:24 am »
When Britian controlled its colonies in Africa along with the french, Spanish and dutch we greatly expanded the indigenous people with the ability to travel, technology and understanding.

Some say that the African tribes were not ready for this technology. This is party correct, as currently the Africans have gone back to a tribal system, only now they use guns!
This is why the Europeans should not have pulled out of Africa, in my opinion we should have held on to places like Africa and India until they were able to become self-governing.

Canada, Australia, Hong Kong and Singapore is a perfect example, When British control was withdrawn, these states have now become the most successful countries in the world.

Imperialism didn't help India, the whole point was to exploit them, they made transportation for the Europeans, they made schools for the Europeans, The only reason they ever helped India was to keep them from rioting.
Then what was the 'East India Company'? It was a group of Indian Merchants who used the Empire and its international connections (Like many others) to access a whole new world of trade. Ghandi's protest was a respectable one, still recognised here as a hero. However he was unable to control the wars between the Hindus and Muslims when we were not there to keep the peace.

If that is not enough, then think. Think where 90% of the worlds society, technology, wealth and English speaking people came from. The British people. If it was not for them, my ancestors and yours maybe, the world would not be where it is today.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 07:47:59 am by Deadeye Rob »

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 08:00:51 am »
Then what was the 'East India Company'? It was a group of Indian Merchants who used the Empire and its international connections (Like many others) to access a whole new world of trade. Ghandi's protest was a respectable one, still recognised here as a hero. However he was unable to control the wars between the Hindus and Muslims when we were not there to keep the peace.
East India Company was a company run by the British Empire. They were replaced after the Sepoy Rebellion.