Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Melee  (Read 12317 times)

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
Re: Super Smash Bros. Melee
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2007, 05:57:18 pm »
SHFFL?
SHFFL is a combination of fast-falls (pressing down button when character is at the top of his/her jump), Wavedashing, Bunny-hopping, and some other technique I forget.

Rhombus, I had to use a really easy technique with Gannondorf, which is grab the bat, run at the sandbag, do an Up + A attack for 39-41% damage, then jump above the bag and drop the bat (Pressing Z), and spiking the sandbag right back down (Down+A, aerial).

That's a drop/spike combo. It takes pratice and patience.

EDIT: Here's a video of Gannondorf made by someone who's more skilled than I am. :P

Yoshi: 2256.1 feet
Gannondorf: 3156.3 feet

Oh, and I have the Giga Bowser trophy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 06:50:56 pm by Blue-ninja »

Offline Scorpian

• Camper
  • Republican
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 07:35:37 pm »
Snap, I still own this game even though I sold my GameCube a few years ago. I used to be able to whip anyone's ass with Roy. I made about $300 off this game with my friends :D

Offline NK Soldier

• Major(1)
  • All Hail the president of Iran!
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2007, 08:07:47 pm »
Young Link owns all! :D I love his fire arrows, they rock. :)
Remember, its all fun and games 'till someone gets hurt.. then its hilarious.

Offline Tay g0

• Major(1)
  • The American Terrorist
    • Taylor G's Creations
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2007, 08:48:44 pm »
Dude..... How can yall forget..... KIRBY His pimpin pink and awsome ability stealing powers could kick yalls Butt! Espicially the awsome jump :)

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2007, 08:56:12 pm »
kirby isn't that hard to beat if you use a bit of strategy.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline Tay g0

• Major(1)
  • The American Terrorist
    • Taylor G's Creations
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2007, 09:00:33 pm »
but dude.... hes pink.. you cant beet that jk. but kirby can also be good with strategy.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2007, 09:14:07 pm »
Kirby is one of those characters that can be awsome but only if you learn the moves just right. My brother can use to rock to kill near anything.
@ii

Offline Valorman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2007, 09:27:22 pm »
Don't forget about that little knife of his ; )

Or whatever it is.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2007, 09:28:15 pm »
Sheeah-shing!

I love that move..

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Captain Ben

• Camper
  • "forum's-rebellious-cool-guy"
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2007, 01:12:22 am »
i could beat you all
sheik is my best second to captain falcon but it all goes to shit if i accidently turn into zelda

Offline ultraman

• Flagrunner
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2007, 01:41:59 am »
Captain Falcon owns you all kthx

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2007, 02:58:04 am »
SHFFL?

This is a combination of three techniques, the Short Hop, Fast Fall, and L-cancel.

Do a short hop by quickly tapping the jump button, fast fall at the peak of your jump, attack, then L-cancel by pushing the block button just before you hit the ground.

What this does: basically, this technique allows you to fit in two to three attacks in the time it would normally take you to execute one.  The short hop keeps you close to the ground while you use aerial attacks so that your enemy doesn't move too far away as you combo them up.  The L-cancel at the end then allows you to fall after an attack and cancel any lag time you might normally have (you normally just stand there for a moment after an aerial attack, this stops that animation and allows you to attack again directly afterwards).

There are dozens of special techniques you can use to make your characters move faster, dodge attacks, or trick your enemies.

Watch tournament videos like this one (and all the related videos on the right) to see the way SSBM can really be played.  Then look for tips and tricks videos as well as tutorials to see how they're pulled off.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2007, 03:49:04 am »
Watch tournament videos like this one (and all the related videos on the right) to see the way SSBM can really be played.
...Almost certainly in ways the creators didn't intend. Even if they aren't specifically, I don't see how those sorts of techniques differ from glitch exploits or something.

I dunno. Ignore me.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2007, 04:08:41 am »
They are definitely glitch exploits -- I've had this discussion many, many times with my roommates.  The difference, however, is that using these exploits is an accepted method of proving your skill in the game since they're often very difficult to perform consistently and take quite a bit of experience to learn when it's best to use them.

In fact, they're often regarded as a better way to kill someone than using the cheap, simple, standard tactics that require little to no skill (edge guarding, for instance, where you just hang on the edge and prevent an off-stage enemy from grabbing on).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 04:12:05 am by VijchtiDoodah »

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2007, 04:48:25 am »
Well, I suppose that makes sense.

I think all the snaking in Mario Kart DS has given me a serious grudge against glitch exploiting. For the most part, things like that just make games miserable for those who just want to play a game for what it is.

Edit: Before the inevitable argument that snaking isn't an exploit of any sort and that it's a valid tactic -- save it.

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2007, 05:39:39 am »
For the most part, things like that just make games miserable for those who just want to play a game for what it is.

Absolutely.  Though the problem with SSBM is that the characters are actually vastly unbalanced to anyone who has played for quite some time.  Peach, for instance, is one of the deadliest (and most unappreciated) characters in the game because nearly all of her attacks nullify all others as well as last a long time.  This means that she can often win by simply attacking with a dummy move and then using her down smash, or by spamming her neutral aerial or dash attack while constantly throwing turnips.

Using the glitches, however, is often the only way to even the playing field -- even if both characters use glitches, it still generally ends up being an even match because at that point each players' experience is high enough that they have developed tactics to avoid those annoying moves.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2007, 08:04:46 am »
I think a lot of the characters are unbalanced to provide more challenging ones for more experienced players, though. Take Mewtwo - deficient in just about every category, really. Odd special moves which often aren't especially useful aside from the obvious, light weight, substandard striking power, bad traction. But I use him all the damn time because he's fun and badass, and you can still be effective with him if you know exactly what you're doing.

I would say same with Pichu, but I think he's a little different. I think he's just fun to use because he's so little and adorable and it's hilarious to see him blast Bowser's ass off.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2007, 10:17:15 am »
One of the unfair tactics I like to use is grabbing recovery items even though I don't need them--to keep the items away from opponents with higher damage percentage. I've been playing with level nine computers, though. They don't know jack about avoiding motion-sensor bombs

Bombs rule.

Idea.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:25:42 am by Blue-ninja »

Offline homey188

• Soldier
    • A good roleplay site
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2007, 08:06:55 pm »
I use the random function.  Though sometimes I pick falco, Luigi, G&W, or Ganondorf.  I can kind of shffl with Ganondorf, but not with the others.  I'm using a several year old, used gamestop controller, so wavedashing is pretty much impossible, though waveland is fun to do.  Sometimes I chaingrab cpus, but not often, spikes are funner.  Personally, my two favorite moves are Mario and Falco F-airs and the shines.
I'm not very good in general, but I only got the game a few weeks ago.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2007, 08:08:55 pm »
You guys all use the same danged people, start killing people like mario and samus with donkey kong and then you can brag.
@ii