Author Topic: Smash Bros. Idea.  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
Smash Bros. Idea.
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:28:04 am »
Since that ds dude has started a thread on SSBM, and I was playing on several very good levels, I wondered. I wondered that if we had a contest to see who can make the best maps. The maps would have to be an almost exact replica of the smash bros. levels. The best suited category for these maps is deathmatch, and the spawnpoints go excactly where the character spawns.

For the sake of playing Super Smash Bros. Melee, what do you think of this idea?

-=Map Downloads & Overviews=-

LordDB's DM_Dreamland --- Overview / Download

Blue-ninja's Flat Zone --- Overview / Download

LordDB's DM_Sector Z --- Overview / Download
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 01:44:55 pm by Blue-ninja »

Offline GluLm

• Camper
  • Polybugs' nightmare
    • maps pack project
Re: Smash Bros. Idea.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 02:15:59 pm »
Not a bad idea, but I fear only VirtualTT would be able to do decent maps like those.

Edit: someone made a Hyrule Temple map once, but it sucked. I think it was mainly for racing purpose anyway.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 07:42:21 pm by GluLm »
Bring back Soldat 1.3.1! New bullet trails DIE!

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 03:23:43 pm »
Nice, I remember someone who made a really simplistic map based on battlefield, and it played nicely.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 05:29:48 pm »
Yes, that's what I fear. Poly placement is simple enough, but making sceneries almost excactly like the game? It could be done, but...

Some maps I like:

Fourside: Very simple, and the sceneries already exist. The UFO could be a nice addition.

Peach's Castle: Multitexturing and stretching is the way to go.

Kongo Jungle: Try finding the sprite sheets for this one. Packed full of sceneries and logs.

Flat Zone: Mr. Game & Watch's world, inside a electronic game! Scenery count would be incredibly low and easy to make.

Corneria (Great Fox, the ship): This would be a very fun map to make.

Great Bay: The poly-making for the turtle could be complicated, but the rest is relatively easy.

Ice Mountain: Better suited for climb maps.

Hyrule Temple: Can actually be turned into a HTF, pending on the size of the level on the Gamecube. The size, texture placement and stretching, and sceneries would make it the hardest to map.

I have sketches for the first six maps.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 11:58:12 pm »
Sounds like a good idea. I know a very cheap way to make these if you could find the right things...

Ought I tell it or runaway with the idea myself ;).

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 01:41:00 am »
There is an inf_hyrule existant already, I believe. It was pretty good.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 01:11:49 pm »
There is an inf_hyrule existant already, I believe. It was pretty good.

Can you give me the URL when you find it?

Sounds like a good idea. I know a very cheap way to make these if you could find the right things...

Ought I tell it or runaway with the idea myself ;).
Sure, tell us. Think of it as some sort of project that can all be included in one neat-o mappack.

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 03:38:28 pm »

http://forums.soldat.pl/old/topic.php?topic_id=18264
DL doesnt work, gonna hafta find that yourself, but the overview makes to look like a pretty fun map.

EDDDDDIT: 900 posts! 100 to veteran :)

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 05:49:14 pm »

http://forums.soldat.pl/old/topic.php?topic_id=18264
DL doesnt work, gonna hafta find that yourself, but the overview makes to look like a pretty fun map.

That looks pretty close, but the gameplay looks better...

Offline Mr. Domino

• Flagrunner
  • Don't just sit there and waste your precious time.
    • XBLIG.co
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 08:37:13 pm »
Making maps based on Smash Bros. stages alone... Meh... The stages really aren't particularly special or would offer layouts unique to Soldat. However! Had you thought a bit ahead and attempted to mod weapons (say, the M79, Spas, Minimi and grenades) to do no/little damage and only really be able to kill someone by knocking him/her off the stage and into a frame of deadly polygons... then you'd really have something I think. :)

Offline Krypt_

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 12:00:20 am »
Adding my input and also a question. First off, I love the idea. Being a fan of SSB and SSBM is what I live for to be honest (ok not so much) but it's a fun game and I would love to play around with the idea happening in Soldat.

However, the only way I see what Mr. Domino suggested occurring (something about being knocked off the stage or summut...my eyes are all droopy from lack of sleep) would being able to simply mod the explosive knockback effect of a 'nade ten fold, so whenever you hit a 'nade you fly maybe...oh i dont know..a few feet or so (in relativity to the map and general dimensions) This idea could also work with guns if there would be a way to increase (or develop) a knockback method to be able to corner the enemy soldat and shoot him off the edge (if he hasn't died from the shots already or punch or whatever you use...hmm punching could work...). No jets would be a must or at least maybe a slight amount of jet (to mimic the double jump you have in SSB) but otherwise you would play by the same physics as SSB which would make this idea a success. I have more to comment on later, but for now take a look at this paragraph (my apologies) and tell me what you think. Peace.

Expression.Freedom.Art.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 10:27:54 am »
Mr. Domino and Krypt_ has come up with some really good ideas. The initial idea I had was to just make really nice replicas of SSBM's stages. I never thought about modding weapons so that they knock people off the stage. That would really make this idea much deeper than it had intentioned to be.

Little jet mimicking as a double-jump is good, but what about the triple-jump? I know some maps that have platforms that require triple-jumping. Maybe I can eliminate stages that have that attribute. Hyrule Temple, despite it's sheer size, have several platforms that are easily accessible.

The problem with actually knocking people off-stage is that the soldat guys based their health on a health bar, not percentages. So, just get the guy down to half of their health and they can still be knocked away the same length, unless the gun/fists require a certain angle to actually elicit a KO.

Small stages, like Flat Zone, are extremely possible to knock your enemies off-stage, as it is really small.

I have made Flat Zone, and I have a general guide on some pretty stages here.

Thanks for the ideas, they are inspiring, and I'm still waiting for the rest of Krypt_'s answer. :)

Offline LordDB

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 10:21:18 pm »
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=15702.0

Thanks blue-ninja for the tip-off

Offline Krypt_

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 12:17:28 pm »
Hey Blue, be sure to add DM Sector Z, that one looks hot as well. And wow, I'm loving this! Someone go out and make SSB gosteks!!! Wow, this could be wicked awesome haha. Cheers.

Expression.Freedom.Art.

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 01:47:48 pm »
Added them. :)

But I'm taking care of SSBM. LordDB gets the SSB levels. Hopefully Kongo Jungle and Yoshi's Island will come up. :D

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 11:45:08 am »
Give credit to people who made those map (since I think 2 of those weren't done by u), and overall idea isn't bad ;)
Text goes here...

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 12:10:49 pm »
Credit has already been given :)

Offline Shadow G-Unit

• Veteran
  • IRC: S[Ex]eh-Legend
    • Fractured Forums
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 01:01:48 pm »
Since that ds dude has started a thread on SSBM, and I was playing on several very good levels, I wondered. I wondered that if we had a contest to see who can make the best maps. The maps would have to be an almost exact replica of the smash bros. levels. The best suited category for these maps is deathmatch, and the spawnpoints go excactly where the character spawns.

For the sake of playing Super Smash Bros. Melee, what do you think of this idea?

-=Map Downloads & Overviews=-

LordDB's DM_Dreamland --- Overview / Download

Blue-ninja's Flat Zone --- Overview / Download

LordDB's DM_Sector Z --- Overview / Download
Great idea!

First map: Good DB map
Second: Good DB, DM map
Third: Good DM (no jets) map

Ingame: King Legend.10- | Clan: In10sitY | Prev. Clan: OXiD | M79 Slag

Offline PHReaKeR

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 06:58:25 pm »
Might be an interesting mod but the only problem is ... the maps are crap on Smash Bro's and repetitive... Hope this one will turn out fun!

I think it will be more of a case of Photoshop Copy and paste for the levels though... otherwise it won't be much like the original... This seems like a Data Entry job rather than a creation :/

Will be more fun I'd say for the people playing it rather than for the creators. HOPE everyone enjoys doing this though.. Just thought i'd stick my useless opinion in here to ramp up the chatter on this topic :P

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 07:04:09 pm »
Actually, the only challenge involved in it is making separate sceneries, and making the maps from scratch.