Author Topic: INF: End game when it's impossible for blue to win  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Snowden

• Major
INF: End game when it's impossible for blue to win
« on: June 02, 2007, 12:32:59 pm »
Depending on the server configuration, there are situations in INF where it's impossible for blue to win, yet the game continues until time runs out--delaying the inevitable. Example: Red has 90 points, blue has 20 points, and there is 2 minutes left in the game. It would be impossible for blue to accumulate 70 points in only 2 minutes. Award red the win and move on to the next map.

Offline SpitfirE

• Major(1)
Re: INF: End game when it's impossible for blue to win
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 12:40:06 pm »
I think some teams would be deprived of win.

For example, Bravo has 88/90 points, there is 10 seconds on the clock. However, Alpha have captured the flag, and are mere inches from the white flag. They could lose a cap/game because of it. Many games end in a cap near the end to ensure a win.

<SpitfirE>
MSN: jimmiemcaulay@hotmail.com
xFire: xjimmiex

Offline Snowden

• Major
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 12:49:47 pm »
The suggestion is only to end the game when it is IMPOSSIBLE for Bravo to win. (It's always possible for Alpha to win.) In the example you gave, it's possible for Bravo to win, so the game would continue.

Offline Sytrus

• Flagrunner
  • English Teech0r
    • AtlanticProject
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 01:32:07 pm »
Agree'd. This is one thing that I would like.

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 01:33:41 pm »
I think it's a gd idea too. f12
Text goes here...

Offline Mastadi

• Camper
  • What makes me a good demoman!?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 02:00:51 pm »
@guys who don't understand
If there isn't enough time for Bravo Team to get enough points to win (Alpha's MUST have more points for this to happen) the game automaticaly ends.  If Bravo's are winning, the game shall end when they reach time/point limit. If the Bravo's are loosing, but there's still enough time to get enough points (Like, if there's five minutes left and the score is 59 for bravos and 60 for alpahas), the game continues

@topic
I think you should be able to turn it on and off in server options. Maybe same thing for HTF?

Offline F3nyx

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 03:13:04 pm »
Good idea.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 04:01:08 pm »
no, only because it is fun to run around for two minutes on blue with complete disregard of the flag and just get tons of kills. i guess if this was server side or something it could work, and, sometimes it is annoying when you can't win and you just want to get on with it. Maybe make it a vote or an admin option.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline ChromedGun

• Camper
  • Angel of Death
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 10:11:23 am »
F11.

2 minutes man, 2 minutes! Can't you hang around for 2 god **** minutes? If this is put into the game it will be abused somehow. Besides, what would the limit be? Limit on the lead in x minutes? Nah man, tables can turn very fast. Even if they are like 70 points behind or whatever they can still whoop the other team's ***es. Like Killroy said, you can still earn plenty of kills in the time, get some revenge or whatever. Sure, it's hard to (impossible to?) accumulate 70 points in 2 minutes, even if you surf with minigun at the same time as your team boosts you with nades, m79 and spas, you won't make it.

This feature would probably just be annoying for the losing team. "Wtf? Even the game gave up on us!".

EDIT: Just tried inf, appearantly the bravos weren't catching any flags. So yah, I was just confused. I agree, it is completely impossible for the bravos to get the points needed. Still, who would reject a 2 minutes fragfest? I wouldn't.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 10:39:58 am by ChromedGun »

@Kryp -- go buy some skills. use /command to bring up the commands.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 11:48:25 am »
SO what if they have no chance of winning? What makes soldat fun is the endless slaughter, and the awesome mixture of blood, gore and violence. This, gentlemen, is still very much possible, even if either side is irreversably ahead.

I don't think it's needed, especially because I allready see it being abused the hell out of. Nothing's more annoying when peops change map in the middle of a match, and I really think this would make exactly that happen quite a lot more often.

Beating the living shit out of a team is an honourable thing. The victory should not be shortened by the emmidiate change to another map. Besides, my best moments in soldat has always been when all hope has seemed faded, and yet the very last portion of will refuses to give in. And so you make on final stroke at the enemy, and you succeed.
Even if you did not win the match, you're left with that imcredible feeling of having resisted.. Or maybe I'm just talking. That's how I feel anyway.

In short: Sorry mate, I don't support.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline BondJamesBond

• Flagrunner
    • http://tobylands.com
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 12:05:39 pm »
It would be annoying knowing the match could just spontaneously end at any moment.
The computer is a moron.
?  - Peter Drucker

Offline Zegovia

• Flagrunner
  • Blow like a storm, burst like steam.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 12:23:40 pm »
Anything can happen during that short time, ANYTHING!!

Offline Snowden

• Major
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 06:19:56 pm »
2 minutes man, 2 minutes! Can't you hang around for 2 god **** minutes?

It's just an example. It actually takes about five and a half minutes to score 70 points under the standard rate.

SO what if they have no chance of winning? What makes soldat fun is the endless slaughter, and the awesome mixture of blood, gore and violence. This, gentlemen, is still very much possible, even if either side is irreversably ahead.
no, only because it is fun to run around for two minutes on blue with complete disregard of the flag and just get tons of kills.

You sound like you've never heard of Deathmatch. In Infiltration, the goal for blue team is to defend the black flag; the goal for red team is to steal the black flag and bring it to the white flag. If blue has failed their goal and red has accomplished theirs, the round should end.

Beating the living **** out of a team is an honourable thing. The victory should not be shortened by the emmidiate change to another map.

Blowouts aren't honorable. They're boring. The best victories are those that came down to the wire, and how long do you get to celebrate those before the map changes? Five seconds?

This feature would probably just be annoying for the losing team. "Wtf? Even the game gave up on us!".
It would be annoying knowing the match could just spontaneously end at any moment.

You know what's more annoying? Fighting for half a round under the illusion that you could come back and win, only to discover it was mathematically impossible and you wasted your time.

Once a team has won the game, the round should end. In baseball, when the home team has won, they don't play the bottom of the 9th inning for shits and giggles. In basketball, when a team has won 4 games to 1 in a 7-game series, they don't play the extra 2 games for shits and giggles. This is no different.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 03:00:02 am »
no, only because it is fun to run around for two minutes on blue with complete disregard of the flag and just get tons of kills.

You sound like you've never heard of Deathmatch. In Infiltration, the goal for blue team is to defend the black flag; the goal for red team is to steal the black flag and bring it to the white flag. If blue has failed their goal and red has accomplished theirs, the round should end.

How can you even compare it to Deathmatch? Just because I state the ultimate goal is massive slaughter to the other team doesn't make it equal to deathmatch. Sure it's the goal in DM as well, but as is it in any other gamemode in soldat.

Beating the living **** out of a team is an honourable thing. The victory should not be shortened by the emmidiate change to another map.

Blowouts aren't honorable. They're boring. The best victories are those that came down to the wire, and how long do you get to celebrate those before the map changes? Five seconds?

I disagree. Wether or not it's boring very much depends on your team. If they're all lone wolfs, giving the "final rush" no structure whatsoever in terms of strategy, then yes, it's boring as hell. But if you manage to pull it together and actually go about it as a team, it won't matter what the score is, 'cause it's very much inferior to the feeling of actually accomplishing something as a whole.

Seems to me like you're one to really worry about your teams score, and I'll agree to that, at least to some extend. I like one of them good battles where both teams are really excellent, and you've really gotta pull your shit together if you wanna beat it. Then capping matters to me..
Otherwise it doesn't at all, 'cause any moron can have a lucky break with the flag in the ordinary servers. The flag will usually remain unprotected, and so it's as much about chance as it is skill.

What I'm trying to say, is that you should only consider flagcapturing a valid factor in more advanced games, such as CW's or in the better servers.

Offline Hiro

• Flagrunner
  • Ph34r my reality
    • The Rat Hole
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 03:04:23 am »
Yeah. Good idea. Not point wasting time.
I am but a figment of your imagination. You are creating me to see what perfection is.

Offline Snowden

• Major
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 06:14:14 am »

How can you even compare it to Deathmatch? Just because I state the ultimate goal is massive slaughter to the other team doesn't make it equal to deathmatch. Sure it's the goal in DM as well, but as is it in any other gamemode in soldat.

By stating the ultimate goal of Infiltration is massive slaughter to the other team, you're equating Infiltration to Deathmatch/Teammatch. The goals of each game mode are stated plainly in the official manual. Infiltration maps aren't even designed for massive slaughter.

I disagree. Wether or not it's boring very much depends on your team. If they're all lone wolfs, giving the "final rush" no structure whatsoever in terms of strategy, then yes, it's boring as hell. But if you manage to pull it together and actually go about it as a team, it won't matter what the score is, 'cause it's very much inferior to the feeling of actually accomplishing something as a whole.

You've already accomplished your goal by blowing out the team. Playing five minutes of garbage time doesn't enhance your accomplishment.

Offline blackdevil0742

• Veteran
  • Don't Panic
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 06:33:43 am »
Most Inf games have 10mins wich is more that enough..but I support your idea if it was tweaked in some way.

OBEY!!!

Offline SDFilm

• Inactive Staff
  • Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 07:00:18 am »
I sort of support it, though it might turn away some players that would wonder why the game suddenly stops, plus it is a bit of an anti-climax instead of fighting it to the last.

Burning scarfs since 1988

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 07:38:28 am »

By stating the ultimate goal of Infiltration is massive slaughter to the other team, you're equating Infiltration to Deathmatch/Teammatch. The goals of each game mode are stated plainly in the official manual. Infiltration maps aren't even designed for massive slaughter.

You've already accomplished your goal by blowing out the team. Playing five minutes of garbage time doesn't enhance your accomplishment.

Who playes according to the manual these days? No one. If you do, Woah!, but no one else does. And I'm not equating it to DM or TDM. If anything it's PM based on the fact that you're running to teams up against eachother, and that very different from all vs. all or 4 teams versus eachother, you get what I mean?

Anyway, you know my opinion. No use sitting here debating the definition of various gamemodes. I'm just saying I'd probably find it annoying.

Offline mxyzptlk

• Veteran
  • The Panda Ninja
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 08:45:20 am »
Maybe if the blue team votes that it is indeed helpless, the game would end.

"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking