Author Topic: Possible large bug in 1.4.1  (Read 6932 times)

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
Possible large bug in 1.4.1
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:41:01 pm »
I posted this in this forum because not many people check the bugs forum and I want other people to look for this problem while they are playing, just to have a good idea of how many people have this problem.

Ive asked around about this situation now, so I know I'm not the only one that has this problem and I know not everyone has it. So I'm assuming its a bug.

Basically, some people cannot see the opponents bullets when the opponent is really close to you. This is especially the case with the weapons ruger and steyr (But applies to other weapons also, I just noticed it happening more often with ruger and steyr). You will be half a screen away from the opponent, and die by 2 invisible shots of ruger. Its extremely random in terms of the shots you see and don't see. For example, sometimes you will see the first 2 shots and then not see the next 2 shots, when almost nothing in terms of distance has changed.  Also, you cannot see nades or knife alot of the time. And sometimes you will respawn in the middle of the map.

I changed my bullet graphics and font to the stuff I like, however I dont think this is the culprit, since another player who has the problem did not change his bullet graphics or font. Some players who have the problem have reinstalled soldat, tried installing the patch, full version, and even deleting the whole soldat folder and reinstalling it. Nothing has worked.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
Re: Possible large bug in 1.4.1
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 02:47:38 pm »
Soldat now shows bullets accordingly to lag. What does this mean? That if someone with 50 ping shoots a bullet, his bullet will start off 0.05 seconds away from him. This results in better hit registration, as less information will be lost, because the bullet will have to travel less - or in other words, less data is risked to being lost. With bigger pings, this ofcourse means more of a difference; at 200 ping, the thing goes quite excessive. We played some japanese guys today, and I didn't see their bullets; but I know that they haven't seen mine either, so we were equal.

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »
and I didn't see their bullets; but I know that they haven't seen mine either, so we were equal.

Thats not true though. I played with illskills yesterday in a NA gather. Ills has dialup so he has 166-200 ping, I have cable and 16-33 ping. Basically, I couldn't see most of illskills bullets (He was using ruger the whole time and I couldn't see his bullets around 60% of the time), however he could see all of mine. I asked him countless times whether he could see bullets, and he said yes each time.

This is a disadvantage to people who wont see the opponents bullets. Especially in a case like I just mentioned, if one person can see your bullets but you cannot see their bullets, that is a disadvantage for you.

The way you basically explained is it that if you have 50 ping, the bullet starts off .05 seconds away from you, and if you have 200 ping, im assuming it would start .2 second away from you. So the person whose ping is higher will have invisible bullets starting off further from him than a person whose ping is lower. Isn't this obviously a significant advantage to someone who has a higher ping, as his bullets are invisible more often/longer than someone with lower ping. Also, how would you explain the fact that 2 players with similiar pings. 1 doesn't see someone's bullets while the other does?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 03:10:24 pm by Poop »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 03:19:16 pm »
Well demonic thats a wierd way of getting things right. That combined with the uber warping has ruined the game for me...

Offline InfS

• Major
    • On Myspace
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 04:56:03 pm »
I saw this the other day with Steyr in a death match.. The guy had ~133-166 ping, but his bullets were completely invisible.
A lot of cheap tricks, but no real skill.

Offline Aji

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 03:44:50 am »
Do you see bullets when somebodys shooting at you in real life? (And shut up about soldat being more of an arcade game, next one who says "do you use jets in real war?" gets official "Aji's retardation"-stamp)
No, you don't.
I don't understand why it's that big of a deal anyways.

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 03:56:18 am »
Dude it's a deal because the other person sees them and you don't. So  stfu. And I mean it.
The thing about soldat was it was always balanced. But now it's not balanced and not only because of the weapons.ini but because of the actual gameplay issues. So I don't see a point what graphics has to do with hit registering??? Could someone like a beta tester or something answer us puny little people (pirates)

EDIT: Pirates > ninjas
Pirates <3
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 04:27:29 am by Will »

Offline NinjaGimp369

• Veteran
  • Wa-Poww!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 04:09:32 am »
Oh man, that really sucks. Gotta tell my brother to stop fucking downloading.
"You should've used the pythagoras theorum, b*tch."
[/url]

Offline Amigo

• Major(1)
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 05:20:27 am »
Demonic is cocksucker

Offline Michal Marcinkowski

• Creator of Soldat
  • Flagrunner
  • I ain't got time to bleed.
    • Soldat home page
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 05:43:28 am »
Demonic explained it right. It is actually correct right now. There are just no visuals to show how the bullet moved so it looks like they are invisible and just appear when players with high ping shoot.

Offline Amigo

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 05:58:36 am »
MM lazy bitch fix it

Offline Mandlc

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 06:19:07 am »
So the point is that it's not going to be fixed? I don't know then why some players, including me, get it and why others don't? It should be equal and same for everyone, there's no point that I don't see opponent's bullets and he can sees mine perfectly. Plus it made game boring, it's pointless to use m79 since you can't dodge to the bullets... I tried soldat again 10 minutes ago and when i went to bravo team on laos, look where i spawned: www.freeweb.siol.net/mandlc/wtflaos.jpg

Anyway I agree with everyone who says that 1.4.0 was way more playable and fun, less warpy and laggy... It'll make some players quit soldat just because of that.. and yeah it's easy for testers to say: "it's almost nothing, no changes", since many of them play soldat 10 minutes per month and don't really care about it, just to lick up others. I have been playing it for almost 4 years, never had any problems with it but this is awful..

hercculli about my whining :-\

(13:33:17) (HerculeP) i played like 2 times 1.4.1 and ppl warp like all the time...
(13:33:27) (Mandlc) yea
(13:33:30) (Mandlc) it sucks
(13:33:34) (Mandlc) i wont play it anymore
(13:33:38) (HerculeP) i see someone going flag on voland few secs and they are up level...
(13:33:41) (HerculeP) same here ;G
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 06:40:59 am by Mandlc »

Offline Hercule Poirot

• Major
  • :Q :Q :Q
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 06:25:39 am »
stop whining mandlc and play mens! :Q
Favorite guns - Desert Eagles & socom | M79 & Socom | AK & socom O.o
Clan status -
Previous Clans - TPA | TRA | SV | Http | c'n's & UnPure | X`fect' | Legends | X`fect'

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 08:01:17 am »
Why was this moved? This isn't a bug, this is a new feature. Some of you beta testers may remember it from earlier versions, it was named 'show real lag', but in the end it didn't get implemented ( 1.3 or 1.3.1 if I recon right ).

I think this isn't that much of an advantage, it's not like you can effectively dodge auto spray. Other dodge manuevers still help, because you are ditching the crosshair, not the bullets - you don't need to see the enemy fire to do that, just look at your hp to see whetever he's hitting you or not.

When I said it's equal for both, I meant that it's equal if we have around the same ping. The warping will probably settle down as the server version's updated, don't worry about that ( plus now you warp the way that we thought you were when we whined that you fellows are unkillable ;) Show real lag ftw ).

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 08:45:42 am »
Why was this moved? This isn't a bug, this is a new feature.

this forum is also for getting help ;)

Offline Demonic

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • All you hate!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 08:50:48 am »
But this is a feature, not a bug. He's not needing help, it's more about discussing the - oh what ever.

Offline Sero

• Major(1)
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 10:40:45 am »
This is so pathetic.. I tried soldat yesterday, ppl just warp with 33 ping and nades doesnt deal dmg at all, just boosting enemy away.. GL & HF!

Offline Amigo

• Major(1)
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 11:51:47 am »
Fu Demonic u suck :Q

Fix it kknp.

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 12:08:46 pm »
Demonic, I think your in fantasy world here if you think this does not provide that much of an advantage or make a difference in gameplay.

I don't know about you people, but for me, a major part of competitive soldat is counting opponents bullets and rushing when they run out of ammo. A major part is dodging bullets (And yes you can dodge autos also). A major part is dodging nades and knives and m79. And pressing prone right when that barret or law shot is about to hit you. How can you do this you can't see bullets? Are you going to dodge it after your health goes down to 0% after being hit by one of those bullets Demonic?  ::)

Not only this, but it is unfair because it happens randomly to some people and doesn't effect others, even WITH similar ping. Also, you even admit that this is an advantage to players with high ping since low ping players cannot see bullets of high ping players but high ping players can see bullets of low ping players..

Either it should be the same for every player, or it should not be implemented at all. This "feature" will be a disadvantage to the people it randomly decides to effect.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:10:54 pm by Poop »
-Albert Einstien

Offline MWTBDLTR

• Major
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 01:28:09 pm »
it's not like you can effectively dodge auto spray.

If you know what your doing, its not hard. 

Imagine how HUGE of a problem this is going to be with m79's.  I have pink m79 shells, and i manage to dodge about 50-70% of them. This is going to cause a MAJOR disadvantage to those who cannot see the shells. 

And yes, like poop said, planning when an enemy is reloading and attacking is another huge part of the game. 

This to me is going to cause nothing but problems.
.:*OC*:. MWTBDLTR